oneBoro Forum

Boro V Nottingham Forest 0-2

What I don't get is EVERYTHING Pulis says is right - after the game today he spoke about how at home you wanna be forcing the game, dominating, making things happen - so why doesn't that translate on the pitch?

All lip service atm, I don't have any confidence he can change and play that making things happen style of football.

within that Pulis statement lies the ultimate problem, Brunners ,  going through the side he most regularly puts out  we are littered with reactive rather than proactive types . defensively this may be a positive attribute to have but even then not one single outfield player within the defensive unit including the deeper lying midfielders  that he seems to favour has little or nothing to offer with the ball at thier feet outside of passing between themselves . Mc Nair, Fry and McQueen  have shown they do have more accuracy ,composure and  forward thinking ability but are not featuring ,

like i said those defensive based players ,you can just about accept not offering anything offensively ,maybe not so much Friend and Shotton as they DO venture into the opponents territory in the system.

Where the massive problem is and has been through various transfer windows and personnel  (not just today ) is that the 4 or 5 players that operate ahead of Clayton or whoever assumes his DM role , really DO need to be proactive and  should be focussing on  attacking the opposition area and contributing far more assists and goals . we seem to have two banks of sideway possesion  each side of the halfway line .

the striker situation is even worse at this present time  . the amount of money weve spent on the likes of  Britt,Rhodes,Fletcher,Gestede  plus the loan fees/wages handed out for Hugill, is just rank poor judgement and poor utilisation of Bamford, Stuani and Negredo shows we desperately need to rethink our scouting, and coaching staff in this area .

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

We just looked clueless today, only Downing & Randolph have earned their money, and I'll reserve my judgment on Saville and Hugill until they've played a few more games but not that impressed so far.

We may have the best defence in the league but it looks like once again were going to be the side left behind in the goals for column.

We stuck with Monk who splashed nearly 40 million, we recouped almost all of it that summer admittedly, the idea Pulis wont get at least until December is fantasy but anyone criticising things in our performance isn't just piping up after our 2nd defeat of the season I was piping up at Norwich when we came back from the 1st international break we've gone backwards since Leeds our set pieces get poorer and poorer every game and like I said earlier if Pulis teams don't score from the 30+ set piece goals a season he sets up for they always struggle to turn draws to wins. When we go a goal down does anyone even see an idea, a semblance of us playing the ball and moving to create pressure on the opponents? We are really not advancing and I get it Downing's been good the past 2 games kudos to him he's jinking back on his left trying to make things happen but our set piece problem is 80% him since he takes 80% of our set pieces bar the odd Howson howler of a corner or Besic trying to clip one in.

Problem is since the Norwich result he's barely changed the sub bench, McNair can't get a start, Fletcher and Wing can't make the bus and oh that's right Pulis dropped Deal Fry an England U21 defender a future captain of the club on the back of a eye catching display at Leeds. This idea managers are infallible is a joke I was calling for Monk to be gone when he started playing all the strikers he signed on the wing like he was some tactical mastermind that was end of September I called for Monk to go I never called for Aitor to go I thought our problems in the Prem stemmed from recruitment not necessarily his tactics and Mogga I gave up at the very end because he just seemed like he'd ran out of ideas. I'm not calling for Pulis to go but I'm saying it's easy to make the case based off almost every game since Norwich that he has got to change things and he hasn't done even the slightest change to the bench since except bring the gymnast in ignoring our inform 7 million pound striker at all costs unless the game's in the Carabao cup.

I'm not going to use recruitment as a stick to beat Pulis with he was culpable for the mess in the summer but so were all the higher ups in the end he made his recruitment choices just like Mogga, Strachan, Southgate and Aitor did before him just as I don't get to use that stick he doesn't get to use him not having wingers as a cop out for our poor performance in the final third just like he doesn't get to bemoan not having Luke Freeman in the team to take our set pieces. I've dealt with Pulis eyes open from the start I'm not saying he needs to go but we all know who he is we all know what he does with squads and young players at the end of his tenure here we'll either be up or not and if not he'll only have himself to blame.

Bright side I think Braithwaite had bright touches again just like vs Ipswich he's not at top form but I don't think he's a LM so I cut him some slack, I still rate our centre midfield options as best in the league or as good as and Hugill as a lone striker in my opinion is no Bueno. Again they're tactical decisions Pulis has made and will have to accept responsibility for at the end of it all, we weren't especially great vs Ipswich for both goals there was 50 yard gaps between their midfield and CB's I'm glad we got 3 points but boy we were poor for large spells outside of the late counter chances and the George chance after the 2nd when their midfield were still in lalaland.

Anyway didn't want to 'rant' just saying if there's one word for today it isn't surprising and the reactions in my opinion aren't kneejerk we're in a rut and at the moment it's not clear how or when we get out of it we've been in it since Norwich and it's not got better if anything it's gotten more stale and of course we should worry given the squad we have and expectations we all have for a Tony Pulis team.

Yeah Pulis is going to get to the end of the season regardless of what happens really.

I think with what we’ve got and the way Pulis sets us up we’ll be in a similar position to last year in that we’ll probably finish 5th/6th and into the playoffs.

I’ve got no faith that we’ll go up via the playoffs mind.

Let’s face it we’ve been really poor since the international break. We were genuinely playing decent(ish) football before the IB with the 3-5-2 and actually getting players forward and creating chances. I don’t know what’s happened but since that Norwich game we’ve been devoid of ideas and gone to the hoofball tactics that we might have expected of Pulis’ reputation.

Hopefully Pulis genuinely recognises that he needs to change something tactically and personel wise, but I just know that Hugill will be starting the next game and it’ll be the same old dross.

Also, been mentioned by many, but what possessed us to spunk £7m on Saville when we’ve got shed loads of better midfielders in that position is beyond me. Not sure whether it’s the recruitment team or Pulis to blame, most probably both.

Also, been mentioned by many, but what possessed us to spunk £7m on Saville when we’ve got shed loads of better midfielders in that position is beyond me. Not sure whether it’s the recruitment team or Pulis to blame, most probably both.

Nothing but a panic buy

Flowery words from Pulis but no substance on how he will improve things. Bag of potatoes for 20 mins, not at the races but Stewie comes out smelling of roses. I think he needs to review the games played all season because I would love to know his take.

Flowery words from Pulis but no substance on how he will improve things. Bag of potatoes for 20 mins, not at the races but Stewie comes out smelling of roses. I think he needs to review the games played all season because I would love to know his take.

To be honest Stewie was the only one in the midfield who actually did anything, put in a fair few crosses, the rest of the team looked like it was the 1st time they'd ever played together.