oneBoro Forum

Boro V Nottingham Forest 0-2

Just got in from the game today, still fuming tbh. Pulis got his formation and players that were on the pitch wrong from the start that was clear but even the best managers make mistakes. However Pulis shouldn't take all the blame apart from Braithwaite and Randolph, i dont think any of them could hold there hand up and say they had a good game today which is not Pulis fault.

Bottom line is Pulis should have changed the game quicker to recover the game while there was still a chance but them players on the pitch let the fans and Pulis completely down today they hang their heads in shame.

On a more personal note if i was Pulis, Hugill would be walking home or getting a taxi after the game not getting the team bus he should never play for us again hes a disgrace how many times he dives on the floor and most of today the ref bought it when he really should have had a double yellow for unsporting behaviour (simulation).

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to laugh when he made the subs.  Braithwaite going off and the likes of Clayton and Gestede coming on to chase a game.  Brilliant, absolutely brilliant  :D

I could understand the Clayton sub, he's better than any of our other midfielders at breaking play up and getting the ball back. He should have started anyway rather than being brought on.

The Braithwaite change was the one that angered people I think and rightly so.

I had to laugh when he made the subs.  Braithwaite going off and the likes of Clayton and Gestede coming on to chase a game.  Brilliant, absolutely brilliant  :D

I could understand the Clayton sub, he's better than any of our other midfielders at breaking play up and getting the ball back. He should have started anyway rather than being brought on.

The Braithwaite change was the one that angered people I think and rightly so.

Yep, with you on that Duvel. I don't think Besic had by any means had a great game and we were losing a battle in midfield. I wouldn't have even started Besic, said it before the game that barring the game at Ipswich, he's not looked remotely the player that came in last season.

Braithwaite for Gestede though, baffling. Not his best of games at all, Braithwaite. Indeed he's not quite been at his best since the window closed (though there aren't many that have been especially good since then) but as with the first half, our one moment out of nothing came from him and you just never know when he's going to be that player to drag you out of it... Gestede isn't and was utterly ineffective, moreso than Hugill was in the first half for sure.

Given our opposition in the cup, I'd be surprised to see Wing or Tav make another appearance until the FA Cup in January. Even injuries and suspensions aren't going to do a great deal for them given the over-encumbered nature of our central midfield department.

What I don't get is EVERYTHING Pulis says is right - after the game today he spoke about how at home you wanna be forcing the game, dominating, making things happen - so why doesn't that translate on the pitch?

All lip service atm, I don't have any confidence he can change and play that making things happen style of football.

Yep, with you on that Duvel. I don't think Besic had by any means had a great game and we were losing a battle in midfield. I wouldn't have even started Besic, said it before the game that barring the game at Ipswich, he's not looked remotely the player that came in last season.

I don't think he's being allowed to be the same player although it could just as easily be him that's the issue of course.

We lost the midfield battle a long time before Clayton came on.  He could have been on after 20 mins without any of the three in midfield having a complaint.  He could even have started as Duvel says.  Howson improved a bit in the second half in fairness to him but I'm at a loss to understand what it was about Saville that made us go in for him not once but twice.  I mean, how bad does McNair look in training if he can't get into the side ahead of him or is he still recovering from that dreadful groin injury that kept him out for about half an hour or whatever it was?

Saville looks awful but to be fair is he naturally a deep lying midfielder? I thought he was a player who can get beyond the striker, he got 10 goals last season and he's not getting a chance to get forward for us.

Besic doesn't look the same player but today I think Pulis and the players just looked completely lost in terms of our shape and positioning.

Saville looks awful but to be fair is he naturally a deep lying midfielder? I thought he was a player who can get beyond the striker, he got 10 goals last season and he's not getting a chance to get forward for us.

Besic doesn't look the same player but today I think Pulis and the players just looked completely lost in terms of our shape and positioning.

I swear Saville’s had one very good season (last season). As others have said, with the options we already have it’s baffling why we’ve spunked 7-8 mill on him. Obviously this comes back to the gross incompetence of our recruitment team. I’d be surprised if he got over 5 goals this season.

I dunno mate but if he is that type of player we should probably ask him to do that because what he's doing now is next to nothing really. Certainly nothing you'd be paying money out for.

Totally agree.

Like I said before (but maybe not quite with that last comment), Clayton would have been back in for me for sure from the start. The performance at Ipswich was not enough to justify keeping Besic and Hugill in the team for Clayts and Britt given their respective requirements for not starting that game. Pulis has mentioned the run of games being tough on the legs and complained about things like having to play on a Wednesday when our opposition got to play on the Tuesday. If we're so hard done by, why are the same 11 starting the next match? Our performance today for long periods did look pretty lethargic. What's wrong with the lads on the bench?

Also agree regarding Saville. First and foremost is that if we wanted him so badly that we had to overpopulate our central-midfield options, push a young lad out of the team who actually played well in the opening games and commit to spending £8m on him, we should be picking him in the position that suits him best and working around that. And if we can't do that then why on Earth did we sign him. He didn't come in here to 'fill a gap', he came in because Pulis seemed desperate to bring him in to improve on the options we had, banging on about his goals contribution for Millwall. Well he's not going to score goals picking up the pieces in front of the back four and with Clayton back in the fold, we absolutely could have put someone else in that hole and had Saville trying to affect the game the way we think he can.

Like I said before (but maybe not quite with that last comment), Clayton would have been back in for me for sure from the start. The performance at Ipswich was not enough to justify keeping Besic and Hugill in the team for Clayts and Britt given their respective requirements for not starting that game. Pulis has mentioned the run of games being tough on the legs and complained about things like having to play on a Wednesday when our opposition got to play on the Tuesday. If we're so hard done by, why are the same 11 starting the next match? Our performance today for long periods did look pretty lethargic. What's wrong with the lads on the bench?

Also agree regarding Saville. First and foremost is that if we wanted him so badly that we had to overpopulate our central-midfield options, push a young lad out of the team who actually played well in the opening games and commit to spending £8m on him, we should be picking him in the position that suits him best and working around that. And if we can't do that then why on Earth did we sign him. He didn't come in here to 'fill a gap', he came in because Pulis seemed desperate to bring him in to improve on the options we had, banging on about his goals contribution for Millwall. Well he's not going to score goals picking up the pieces in front of the back four and with Clayton back in the fold, we absolutely could have put someone else in that hole and had Saville trying to affect the game the way we think he can.

I was saying something similar to my mates in the ground today, I thought we looked very lethargic. Forest looked quicker to everything and far more fresh.

Pulis can only blame himself for that though, like you say we've got a big enough squad to freshen things up. I wonder how many changes Karanka made today?

The other thing that you can't overlook today was that Karanka seemed to win the tactical battle. They worked really hard to press us and pushed their full backs right up the pitch to prevent us having any space wide.

Forest also have a bit of pace and players who can carry the ball, no of which we seem to have.

I don't see what Saville is offering us at the moment. He looks petrified playing in our team and is always looking for a back/side pass.

I'm not singling him out but for me is way too similar to Howson who I think has been superb for us this season (although not today)

Credit has to go to Forest today. They are the only team to come to the Riverside in a while who has attacked us.

Shows we can't cope when teams attack us as we like to dictate the pace of the game.

International break has come at the right time as I thought our players looked extremely jaded today.

Hugill.... Enough said, just doesn't offer enough for me as a lone striker.