oneBoro Forum

2-0 lead

We have seen at least five occasions within the last week of The Championship that what should be a comfortable 2-0 lead is not the case why is this and should teams once in this position strive to get a 3 goal cushion to ensure 3 points?

Are players simply switching off?

Does the opposition strive to get at least a goal back and then anything can happen?

Do teams (and I include us) with a seemingly and obvious defensive cohesion know that they are strong enough to hold onto that lead? and is that the wrong attitude?

Is a 3-0 lead when 2 up the new target?

It's a mystery for sure why 2-0 is not enough

We have seen at least five occasions within the last week of The Championship that what should be a comfortable 2-0 lead is not the case why is this and should teams once in this position strive to get a 3 goal cushion to ensure 3 points?

Does the opposition strive to get at least a goal back and then anything can happen?

Do teams (and I include us) with a seemingly and obvious defensive cohesion know that they are strong enough to hold onto that lead? and is that the wrong attitude?

These days I'm still nervous with a 2-0 lead

I think in our set up a 2-0 lead is enough DS. The way we defend it is unlikely that we will concede twice if we have already gone 2 up and are not chasing the game. We are so well schooled in the art of defending that 2-0 is a good score line for us.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10951284/sky-sports-bust-common-myths-is-2-0-the-worst-lead

Here's a decent article on the 2-0 lead. A team that goes 2-0 up will end up losing only 2.6% of those games, and drawing 7.4%. I'd argue that not being able to close the game out and playing the game toe to toe with an opponent at a high tempo pushing for the 3rd goal is the easiest way to lose a lead.

Liverpool are a classic example of team bottling leads these past few years, 2-0 up at Bournemouth and they keep pushing for more goals and they end up losing 4-3, and losing a 3-0 lead against Sevilla last season.

Comebacks stand out in your mind more but a 2-0 lead will generally be a routine win especially for teams with good defensive records near the top of the table.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10951284/sky-sports-bust-common-myths-is-2-0-the-worst-lead

Here's a decent article on the 2-0 lead. A team that goes 2-0 up will end up losing only 2.6% of those games, and drawing 7.4%. I'd argue that not being able to close the game out and playing the game toe to toe with an opponent at a high tempo pushing for the 3rd goal is the easiest way to lose a lead.

Liverpool are a classic example of team bottling leads these past few years, 2-0 up at Bournemouth and they keep pushing for more goals and they end up losing 4-3, and losing a 3-0 lead against Sevilla last season.

Comebacks stand out in your mind more but a 2-0 lead will generally be a routine win especially for teams with good defensive records near the top of the table.

It's very true... going 2 down is nearly always fatal in football and this is backed up by the stats.

I think its always different when watching your own team. I've been watching Boro games biting my nails with 10 to go with neutral friends who have been like "Why are you so nervous?? There's no way you're conceding two to this lot" etc

There is Danish commentator who years ago stated that "2-0 is the most dangerous lead" and he is still getting ridiculed to this day for that daft comment. 2-0 is a brilliant lead and I'd trust us to bring home the three point 99/100 times. It's what Pulis does. Get into the lead and see the game out. As soon as we got the second against Ipswich I could lean back on the couch and not really worry anymore.

That said there are so many teams in this league with a poor defence that 2-0 leads actually slip quite often. Should we go 2-0 behind again I still think we can get back into it, but if we lead 2-0 I can't see any team getting back into it.

These days I'm still nervous with a 2-0 lead

We haven’t lost a 2goal lead all season. Not sure we’ve actually lost a lead

Different to not losing a lead, but I'm also pretty sure the stats the other night that showed up after Besic scored were that we've never lost a game after taking a lead in what would now be I think 29 games. It was 25 wins and 3 draws, I think. Now that's 26 wins. So ~90% win rate after scoring first in the last 29.

Different to not losing a lead, but I'm also pretty sure the stats the other night that showed up after Besic scored were that we've never lost a game after taking a lead in what would now be I think 29 games. It was 25 wins and 3 draws, I think. Now that's 26 wins. So ~90% win rate after scoring first in the last 29.

That is very impressive. Credit where credit is due and that's very good work from Pulis and the players.

There is Danish commentator who years ago stated that "2-0 is the most dangerous lead" and he is still getting ridiculed to this day for that daft comment. 2-0 is a brilliant lead and I'd trust us to bring home the three point 99/100 times. It's what Pulis does. Get into the lead and see the game out. As soon as we got the second against Ipswich I could lean back on the couch and not really worry anymore.

That said there are so many teams in this league with a poor defence that 2-0 leads actually slip quite often. Should we go 2-0 behind again I still think we can get back into it, but if we lead 2-0 I can't see any team getting back into it.

that's not just a Danish commentator thing, 2-0 being the most dangerous score in football is a commonly held opinion.

it's not just this sport, 2-0 is considered the most dangerous score in ice hockey too.

Commentators are under instructions to try to keep viewers interested in a match, especially neutrals in staying with the game. 2-0 is a dangerous score, dangerous for Sky, as they are desperate for you stay with a crap match, listen to their BS, watch their adverts and boost their ratings.

There is  Danish commentator who years ago stated that "2-0 is the most dangerous lead" and he is still getting ridiculed to this day for that daft comment. 2-0 is a brilliant lead and I'd trust us to bring home the three point 99/100 times. It's what Pulis does. Get into the lead and see the game out. As soon as we got the second against Ipswich I could lean back on the couch and not really worry anymore.

that's not just a Danish commentator thing, 2-0 being the most dangerous score in football is a commonly held opinion.

it's not just this sport, 2-0 is considered the most dangerous score in ice hockey too.

actually its 3-0 in icehockey ;)

There is  Danish commentator who years ago stated that "2-0 is the most dangerous lead" and he is still getting ridiculed to this day for that daft comment. 2-0 is a brilliant lead and I'd trust us to bring home the three point 99/100 times. It's what Pulis does. Get into the lead and see the game out. As soon as we got the second against Ipswich I could lean back on the couch and not really worry anymore.

Maybe in Sweden, but it's definitely not in the NHL, the saying is 2 goal lead :)

Maybe in Sweden, but it's definitely not in the NHL, the saying is 2 goal lead :)

Always been 3 in Sweden, specialy if its more than a period to play. 2 goals if its less than half a period left.