oneBoro Forum

Let's have a heated debate

The thing about recruitment is we've got a 40 million pound strikeforce and 25 million pound midfield if we take the options on Hugill and Besic so I mean when you hear Vickers and people say the club are careful with money at the end of windows that is not how I'd characterise our problem to be honest. I'm really not going to use it as a stick to beat Pulis with at the end of it he reinforced his central midfield heavily brought in his own striker and Flint's basically a CB designed for him so he clearly got his people or people he's happy with. We chased Sam Vokes, Matt Ritchie, Blasé, Bryan, Wallace, Freeman and god knows who else pretty sure the transfer fees weren't stumbling blocks with them we were willing to buy Bolasie on stupid financials.

We shouldn't have the 'sneak in the playoff' expectation with this manager and this squad he's the highest paid manager in our history and I'd bet this squad is the most expensive squad the clubs ever assembled the idea we should aim for what Mogga had to aim for on a shoestring isn't right. He's already putting himself in people's bad books before a ball gets kicked with his selection decisions and if you make the calls he makes and set up for set piece goals primarily everything else secondary when it's really not working it's going to look a lot worse than other managers when results turn.

Good post right here. We should be expecting a lot better performances even though Pulis didn't get his fast winger(s). And I doubt that would have changed anything because we were hardly set up more adventurous when Traore was here. We were still slow and boring except when Traore took in in his own hands for a combined few minutes every match.

With the squad we have and the finances available to Pulis it's not outragous to expect more. We're abysmal to watch and that's criminal with the squad available. Persisting to play Hugil, who is barely a football by the looks, is just madness. If he thinks he only lacks match fitness then bring him off the bench instead of starting. There must be some sort of clause in his contract that he has to play. I'm not saying Fletcher is the answer but he hasn't let anyone down when he has got his chance. And he offers some pace. People are calling Gestede a donkey but Hugil takes the price here.

But when push comes to shove it's not about the individual players. They are just instructed to carry out Pulis' 80's plan and doing what he says to keep their place in the squad. It's so obvious that Pulis is doing what he can to just try and be solid and not much is. Scoring goals is second most important after not conceding - at least it looks like that. He's trying to win by hoping for mistakes by the opposition like the Bolton and Ipswich games.

If things don't look better on the pitch with some desire on show I fear that Gibson is going to be witnessing dramatic drops in attendances.

Your post is spot on, not in Pulis's nature to be adventurous, he never has been, too long in the tooth to change now, I don't see him been sacked even if results didn't go our way, because it means Gibson and his cronies got it wrong again 2 seasons running. Luckily for us there's no stand out teams and a lot of inconsistency in this league, ironic that the team we beat 3 nil are now top of the league.

When the 2nd goal went in on Saturday a lot left the ground, and some near me decided that a pint in the Comcast would be better than watching the crap on the pitch, but if fans keep seeing dross they vote with their feet.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Who were all the wingers we tried to sign? I can remember us being seriously linked to maybe 2 or 3? Bolasie, the lad at Millwall who we didn't sign but signed his mate anyway and sort of Ritchie but I'm not sure how seriously we were in for him. Were there others I'm forgetting?

Our first two signings were a massive but slow central defender (we already had one) and a versatile midfielder (he can sit anywhere on the bench). Given the fact that they clearly knew Traore had a release clause and that there was a more than fair chance he'd be on his way out, why weren't our early signings focused on this key area instead? It was an area that was already a weakness last season (Traore aside).

Who were all the wingers we tried to sign?  I can remember us being seriously linked to maybe 2 or 3?  Bolasie, the lad at Millwall who we didn't sign but signed his mate anyway and sort of Ritchie but I'm not sure how seriously we were in for him.  Were there others I'm forgetting?

Our first two signings were a massive but slow central defender (we already had one) and a versatile midfielder (he can sit anywhere on the bench).  Given the fact that they clearly knew Traore had a release clause and that there was a more than fair chance he'd be on his way out, why weren't our early signings focused on this key area instead?  It was an area that was already a weakness last season (Traore aside).

I seem to remember us enquiring about Phillips and being told a big number, as well as being linked with Puncheon and Canos.

Also Freeman and Bryan were firm targets, maybe Pulis was looking at playing them on the wing, he's doing it with McQueen who is supposedly a Left Back.

When he had a winger with bags of pace, he did play him. He made the lad from a nothing to a hero. He didn't play this way. So in my opinion, based on what we've seen right here at our own club, yes he would play differently with actual wingers.

As for not wanting to play under this manager, if Bolasie didn't want to play for Pulis so badly, he wouldn't have come up here to begin with. He went to Villa because they're a bigger club in a better location. I'm not saying players will jump through hoops to play for Pulis but I'd hardly see them doing the same to play for Bruce either. I think the main reason we didn't get the players we supposedly wanted is we either weren't willing to pay over £10m for a player and we were following a transfer strategy defined by Pulis himself as 'picking up the scraps' in the hope we would knock a few quid off the asking prices. We might not have paid full whack for a lot of players and blown our budget early on... but then we have apparently spunked £8m on Saville late on because Millwall refused to sell. We've gone from trying to get business done early and throwing a lot of money around to trying to do the opposite and ending up potentially paying over the odds for a player anyway.

Here's hoping Saville can start to show before we reach January why he might even possibly be worth the money we're forking out for him.

Well if Pulis plays differently he changes the habit of a managerial lifetime, he's strategy is based on defense, a big target men and set pieces so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see donkey Gestede starting up front next game.

I think in an ideal world Pulis would prefer to play 4-5-1 with 2 very quick wingers so in his defence he probably doesn't have the players to play exactly how he wants to do.

The other side of it is that he needs to find a formation which best suits the players available. He did that earlier in the season but he's certainly not doing that now. He seems to be trying to accommodate Saville and Braithwaite is stuck out on the left where he's wasted.

I personally believe even with 2 quick wingers in the squad Pulis is too defensive minded to play both, I think he'd play one winger and drop Braithwaite to the bench. I keep saying against Villa in the play offs needing a goal, the subs were like for like nothing changed.

Are you basing us not playing 2 wingers on last season? We didn't have 2 pacey wingers to play last season. We had Traore and that's all in that regard so I don't really see what referencing the Villa game as proof really does. If you go back to his time at West Brom, he played with McClean, Phillips even Chadli despite their differences. To Palace when it was Bolasie and Puncheon. I'm pretty sure if he's brought in wingers, he'd be playing them. His style of football wouldn't technically change but he would play with wingers.

When he had a winger with bags of pace, he did play him. He made the lad from a nothing to a hero. He didn't play this way. So in my opinion, based on what we've seen right here at our own club, yes he would play differently with actual wingers.

As for not wanting to play under this manager, if Bolasie didn't want to play for Pulis so badly, he wouldn't have come up here to begin with. He went to Villa because they're a bigger club in a better location. I'm not saying players will jump through hoops to play for Pulis but I'd hardly see them doing the same to play for Bruce either. I think the main reason we didn't get the players we supposedly wanted is we either weren't willing to pay over £10m for a player and we were following a transfer strategy defined by Pulis himself as 'picking up the scraps' in the hope we would knock a few quid off the asking prices. We might not have paid full whack for a lot of players and blown our budget early on... but then we have apparently spunked £8m on Saville late on because Millwall refused to sell. We've gone from trying to get business done early and throwing a lot of money around to trying to do the opposite and ending up potentially paying over the odds for a player anyway.

Here's hoping Saville can start to show before we reach January why he might even possibly be worth the money we're forking out for him.

Well if Pulis plays differently he changes the habit of a managerial lifetime, he's strategy is based on defense, a big target men and set pieces so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see donkey Gestede starting up front next game.

I think in an ideal world Pulis would prefer to play 4-5-1 with 2 very quick wingers so in his defence he probably doesn't have the players to play exactly how he wants to do.

The other side of it is that he needs to find a formation which best suits the players available. He did that earlier in the season but he's certainly not doing that now. He seems to be trying to accommodate Saville and Braithwaite is stuck out on the left where he's wasted.

I personally believe even with 2 quick wingers in the squad Pulis is too defensive minded to play both, I think he'd play one winger and drop Braithwaite to the bench. I keep saying against Villa in the play offs needing a goal, the subs were like for like nothing changed.

Are you basing us not playing 2 wingers on last season? We didn't have 2 pacey wingers to play last season. We had Traore and that's all in that regard so I don't really see what referencing the Villa game as proof really does. If you go back to his time at West Brom, he played with McClean, Phillips even Chadli despite their differences. To Palace when it was Bolasie and Puncheon. I'm pretty sure if he's brought in wingers, he'd be playing them. His style of football wouldn't technically change but he would play with wingers.

Pulis brings in 2 quick wingers, you tell me who he drops, certainly not Downing who he rates highly.

Pulis brings in 2 quick wingers, you tell me who he drops, certainly not Downing who he rates highly.

Downing was brilliant vs Forest as well as Ipswich. Think he has been very good last few weeks

Regarding Wing, just guessing , but he's probably not doing enough in training, or there's an attitude problem. There's a lot of weight being loaded on his shoulders, is he the midfield Messiah? we may find out v Palace.

I think our fans got a bit carried away with him, I think he did a steady job and had a few glimpses of flair but I don't think he's the next Iniesta either.

The thing that I think is annoying people is that he put a good set piece into the box which is pivotal in a Pulis team, we don't seem to have anyone else that can do the same.

I think Wing could have been a good option to have in the squad and I don't think he ever let us down. It makes the signings of Besic and Saville even more baffling, I certainly don't think we needed both of them.

Carried away? He was our single positive outlet in midfield. If he was doing a "steady job" then the rest of our midfielders are doing a "very slow job".

He was our best passer, best set piece taker and actually got fans off their seats.

He was dropped for no good reason. And I think it's fair to say that most fans want him back (at least on the bench).

It feels like pulis wants to prove a point about being in charge and the decisions being his, whether this adversely effects the team or not.

I don't think Tony Pulis wants to prove a point to anyone. His entire attitude to everything is about him not giving a great deal of credence to other people's opinions. When he's asked about decisions he makes, he makes no great attempt to justify them beyond what said people could probably know already. It means he has great belief in himself and what he does and if anyone at the club had a problem with that, he wouldn't be our manager. As far as the players are concerned, they mostly seem happy to have him there as the manager. Given our aims are what they are and the players knowing full well what they are, if they felt what the manager was doing was stifling us and holding us back, I think the manager would know about it and barring one or two who could have indeed left us in the summer, I don't think they'd be here any more, just like Bamford.

Downing was brilliant vs Forest as well as Ipswich. Think he has been very good last few weeks

That's my view on it too. If you're to ask me who he drops right now for 2 wingers, he probably doesn't drop Downing. So he either pushes Downing into the middle or he leaves one of the wingers on the bench. It's obviously not beyond him to drop Downing as he has done it already. The way you've posed the question RB is that dropping Downing right now would be a good thing and given his last couple of performances, certainly in comparison to most of his team-mates, that would be harsh. But you also seem to be backing up an opinion of us probably choosing not to play with wingers because we don't have them. When Pulis has had them, he's played them, both here and elsewhere.

That's my view on it too. If you're to ask me who he drops right now for 2 wingers, he probably doesn't drop Downing. So he either pushes Downing into the middle or he leaves one of the wingers on the bench. It's obviously not beyond him to drop Downing as he has done it already. The way you've posed the question RB is that dropping Downing right now would be a good thing and given his last couple of performances, certainly in comparison to most of his team-mates, that would be harsh. But you also seem to be backing up an opinion of us probably choosing not to play with wingers because we don't have them. When Pulis has had them, he's played them, both here and elsewhere.

Think you’re forgetting about the mighty M Johnson

I believe if you look at Saturdays match day thread I stated the only 2 players who deserved their wages were Downing and Randolph. At no time this season have I ever suggested that Stewie Downing should be dropped since he's the only bugger who seems to know how to put a decent cross in, if Downing wasn't playing well enough I don't BS I'd say so.

Exactly, hence Pulis doesn't drop Downing to play 2 wingers.

Regarding Wing, just guessing , but he's probably not doing enough in training, or there's an attitude problem. There's a lot of weight being loaded on his shoulders, is he the midfield Messiah? we may find out v Palace.

I think our fans got a bit carried away with him, I think he did a steady job and had a few glimpses of flair but I don't think he's the next Iniesta either.

The thing that I think is annoying people is that he put a good set piece into the box which is pivotal in a Pulis team, we don't seem to have anyone else that can do the same.

I think Wing could have been a good option to have in the squad and I don't think he ever let us down. It makes the signings of Besic and Saville even more baffling, I certainly don't think we needed both of them.

Carried away? He was our single positive outlet in midfield. If he was doing a "steady job" then the rest of our midfielders are doing a "very slow job".

He was our best passer, best set piece taker and actually got fans off their seats.

He was dropped for no good reason. And I think it's fair to say that most fans want him back (at least on the bench).

It feels like pulis wants to prove a point about being in charge and the decisions being his, whether this adversely effects the team or not.

I'm absolutely baffled that Wing wasn't on the Balon D'or list. The longer he stays out of the team the better he is getting. Come Christmas and we have an absolute worldy on our hands. At least £200m coming in the January transfer window. Can't wait to see what players we bring in with all that money

Exactly, hence Pulis doesn't drop Downing to play 2 wingers.

So would you be for or against him dropping Downing? In one breath you seem to be saying Pulis is a dinosaur playing overly defensive tactics and wouldn't play 2 quick wingers if he had them because that's not what he does... and in another breath actually agreeing that Downing wouldn't be dropped for another winger because he's actually doing a decent job and shouldn't be. What point are you actually trying to make here?