oneBoro Forum

Let's have a heated debate

Pulis is just overly cautious there is no two ways about it. Playing with 5 defenders and at least one DM is just too much when you are the better squad on paper. There is no need for that. I just don't see the reason for persisting with both Friend and Shotton on either side. Fair enough Friend has been made captain but he is getting worse both defensively and certainly attacking. Shotton had a decent start to the season but he brings very little going forward and even his biggest weapon, the throw ins, are absolutely useless. Hits the first defender 99/100 times. Neither of them offers any decent crossing, pace or technique. Baffling that Pulis persists with both when it's getting worse every game and you have alternatives. Three central defenders and Clayton ought to be enough for defending.

And it riles me up a bit when he talks about youth. He has absolutley no desire using them unless he absolutely has to like earlier in the season when he hadn't brought his own players in or in the early rounds of a cup he probably doesn't care about. Fry started the season on par if not better than both Ayala and Flint yet he has been ousted from the squad by a standard championship loanee while the rest of our young homegrown players aren't getting a lookin. He leaves himself with a bench that really allow him to change the game unless it's a defensive change or a like for like; Gestede/Britt for Hugill/Braithwaite, Clayton for Besic, McQueen for Braithwaite. He is completely neglecting some of the younger players because he would rather play older heads.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

We are Boro. We make daft buys. We flit between spending lots with no strategy, then spending little and playing negatively.

Burnley/Bournemouth should be our model. Back a good manager that’s a good fit with the club and stick with a system. Bring our youth in as we go.

Are you basing us not playing 2 wingers on last season? We didn't have 2 pacey wingers to play last season. We had Traore and that's all in that regard so I don't really see what referencing the Villa game as proof really does. If you go back to his time at West Brom, he played with McClean, Phillips even Chadli despite their differences. To Palace when it was Bolasie and Puncheon. I'm pretty sure if he's brought in wingers, he'd be playing them. His style of football wouldn't technically change but he would play with wingers.

Pulis brings in 2 quick wingers, you tell me who he drops, certainly not Downing who he rates highly.

Downing was brilliant vs Forest as well as Ipswich. Think he has been very good last few weeks

Exactly, hence Pulis doesn't drop Downing to play 2 wingers.

So would you be for or against him dropping Downing? In one breath you seem to be saying Pulis is a dinosaur playing overly defensive tactics and wouldn't play 2 quick wingers if he had them because that's not what he does... and in another breath actually agreeing that Downing wouldn't be dropped for another winger because he's actually doing a decent job and shouldn't be. What point are you actually trying to make here?

The point I was making is that no way do I see Pulis playing 2 wingers because the team is geared on defence, set up not to lose rather than to win, and you certainly don't drop the one midfielder who when he gets the ball actually looks doing something with it.

Our midfield in my opinion is bog standard you take Downing out and it becomes below standard so 2 wingers wouldn't happen, that's my opinion.

Regarding Wing, just guessing , but he's probably not doing enough in training, or there's an attitude problem. There's a lot of weight being loaded on his shoulders, is he the midfield Messiah? we may find out v Palace.

I think our fans got a bit carried away with him, I think he did a steady job and had a few glimpses of flair but I don't think he's the next Iniesta either.

The thing that I think is annoying people is that he put a good set piece into the box which is pivotal in a Pulis team, we don't seem to have anyone else that can do the same.

I think Wing could have been a good option to have in the squad and I don't think he ever let us down. It makes the signings of Besic and Saville even more baffling, I certainly don't think we needed both of them.

Carried away? He was our single positive outlet in midfield. If he was doing a "steady job" then the rest of our midfielders are doing a "very slow job".

He was our best passer, best set piece taker and actually got fans off their seats.

He was dropped for no good reason. And I think it's fair to say that most fans want him back (at least on the bench).

It feels like pulis wants to prove a point about being in charge and the decisions being his, whether this adversely effects the team or not.

I'm absolutely baffled that Wing wasn't on the Balon D'or list. The longer he stays out of the team the better he is getting. Come Christmas and we have an absolute worldy on our hands. At least £200m coming in the January transfer window. Can't wait to see what players we bring in with all that money

Do you think Wing has more chance of making the Balon D'or list getting valuable pitch time, or watching the game from the stand, if you want to go down that route. 

I realise Wing would struggle to oust any of our solid, outstanding quality midfielders :cheese:

The point I was making is that no way do I see Pulis playing 2 wingers because the team is geared on defence, set up not to lose rather than to win, and you certainly don't drop the one midfielder who when he gets the ball actually looks doing something with it.

Our midfield in my opinion is bog standard you take Downing out and it becomes below standard so 2 wingers wouldn't happen, that's my opinion.

But then even if he had the 2 wingers, how would he actually accommodate them if he shouldn't drop Downing? You're essentially taking him to task over something you seem to think he probably shouldn't do anyway?

We are Boro. We make daft buys. We flit between spending lots with no strategy, then spending little and playing negatively.

Burnley/Bournemouth should be our model. Back a good manager that’s a good fit with the club and stick with a system. Bring our youth in as we go.

We had one in Mogga and sacked him.

We had one in Mogga and sacked him.

And then the next manager got us promoted. What a mistake.

Dyche is from the same mold as Pulis, if you want to watch Burnley type football we might as well stay as we are.

Dyche is from the same mold as Pulis, if you want to watch Burnley type football we might as well stay as we are.

While both definitely don't play attractive football the last time dyche was in the championship he played a 442 with 2 proper wingers and 2 out and out strikers.

Pulis is a few levels below Dyche on the negativity scale for me.

While both definitely don't play attractive football the last time dyche was in the championship he played a 442 with 2 proper wingers and 2 out and out strikers.

Agreed, we play nothing like Burnley. They keep two up front who they hit it long to - then runners from midfield join quickly to pick up the pieces and catch the opposition out.

To be fair, we did do that with Karanka and it worked pretty well? Maybe he should have been backed more in the transfer market in the PL - we'll never know if that would have worked.

And I think the plan was to do it with Monk, who was certainly backed heavily - but it became apparent pretty quickly to everyone that the wrong project had been bought into. 

I've always thought that Pulis is here to stabilise the club after the Monk disaster and will leave us as a top 6  Championship club running on Championship finances. Then more of a 'project' manager may come in. Our transfer activity this Summer is that of a club bracing itself for a few years in the Championship - whatever the fans were told.

Agreed, we play nothing like Burnley. They keep two up front who they hit it long to - then runners from midfield join quickly to pick up the pieces and catch the opposition out.

Burnley play long ball football and they're absolutely rank to watch, that was my point.

The purists on here would be complaining within a few weeks of watching Dyche's style of football.

If you want attractive football which most people seem to be crying out for then think Burnley are a poor example of that.

Burnley play long ball football and they're absolutely rank to watch, that was my point.

The purists on here would be complaining within a few weeks of watching Dyche's style of football.

If you want attractive football which most people seem to be crying out for then think Burnley are a poor example of that.

True, there are many fans who would also hate watching a Dyche side. For me personally though I don't find their style anywhere near as bad as Pulis's for my reasons above and would more than happily swap.

But then even if he had the 2 wingers, how would he actually accommodate them if he shouldn't drop Downing? You're essentially taking him to task over something you seem to think he probably shouldn't do anyway?

If Pulis has 2 wingers in the squad he plays one, and the other stays on the bench, I feel he's too cautious and defensive minded to play 2 wingers and our midfield is not good enough to be able to drop one out to accommodate 2 wingers, that's my opinion on it.

As predicted, once the results start to slow down the Football on show starts to grate on people. The Nottingham Forest game was pretty awful to watch, all our players just seem to have no technical ability or composure on the ball...

Best I hope for is that some of the players who can provide more of a threat going forward like Wing and McNair start getting into the team. The performances from the last international break have been poor, the pressing has slowed down the goals have stopped and we seem to be surrendering the game to the opponents.

I still would have been happy with our position if you'd offered it to me at the start of the season, we're not far off and I still think Pulis is the man to take us up.