oneBoro Forum

Let's have a heated debate

Our squad is apparently the joint 4th oldest in the division right now at 27.7 years old according to transfermarkt.

I've added up their ages as they are right now and it's 27.16 (obviously, transfermarkt will take into account days too). Take out the loan players (Batth, McQueen, Besic, Hugill) and that goes up to 27.43. Take out the players we know I think we're definitely taking the hit on for various reasons (too old, committed to us, etc. Lonergan, Dimi, Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, Downing) and that drops down to 25.2. Those remaining 15 players from our 25 man squad are what I'd consider the saleable assets if indeed we need to.

Of course, the age isn't particularly enough. Out of those, who would we reasonably expect to get anything close to what we paid for or more for. Flint, Shotton, Howson, Gestede and of course Britt we will definitely struggle with. There are a few in the squad who really depend on what comes in the future, Braithwaite, McNair, Fletcher and certainly Saville. Saville is probably going to have to become one of the best midfielders in the Championship or a decent Premier League player to come close to making that back.

And after all that, reasons to be cheerful... Randolph, Ayala and Fry would almost certainly net us a decent sum. Randolph is one of the best keepers in this division and didn't look entirely out of place in the Prem when given his chance. 31 but as a keeper, still a few years ahead of him. Ayala has been one of the best defenders in the Championship for what... 4 years now? Despite his supposed injury troubles, he is still only 27. Fry is only 21 and, if the *** hit the fan, I've no doubt he'd be shoved into the first team picture and go on to show us all what he's been worth for a while.

The last 3 in the squad are Wood, Wing and Tav. Again, if the *** hits the fan, they will be a part of our future undoubtedly. With the latter 2 though, I think we may need to start involving them soon before they slip through our fingers for peanuts.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

The transfer policy has been utter dogs***, that can't be denied. However we do have the players in this current squad to be so much better. Even under Pulis who I cannot stand, it could be better by going to the formation that ACTUALLY WORKED and starting players that can pass to each-other.

IN: McNair, Fry, Wing, Britt (players that can actually pass to a team-mate and all have a semblance of footballing skill)

OUT: Shotton, Friend, Savile, Hugill (players that have serious difficulty passing to a team-mate unless it's 3 foot away and sideways, constantly slow down attacks with s*** passes and hospital balls)

And play 3-5-2 aka the only time we looked good this season

----------Randolph------------

-----Ayala--Fry--Flint---------

McNair----------------Downing

--Howson--Wing--Besic------

-------Braithwaite-Britt-------

Completely different team that can actually play football. A better, less stubborn, more progressive manager would get more out of this squad - but even under Pulis this set-up would be solid AND able to create something.

We blame Tony for bad tactics and we blame the recruitment team for bad signings but there's few people who blame Gibson for hiring these people. There's only one constant at MFC.

I personally like Tony.

15290318.jpg

The signings we've made under Pulis are worse than those we made under Monk.  Discuss or don't  :)

Over the past five years I have to say we have wasted huge amounts of cash on dross but Pulis must make top of the list.

We blame Tony for bad tactics and we blame the recruitment team for bad signings but there's few people who blame Gibson for hiring these people. There's only one constant at MFC.

I personally like Tony.

Over the last few years we have seen our club relegated having spent a very small amount on players despite tv revenue being the highest in PL history, for the last few months of the season we didn’t even have a manager.

Then once relegated despite parachute payments we had a negative net spend and watched our best players being replaced with ***e. We gave a promising young manager not even half a season to turn this around and replaced him with a manager well known for playing the worst football imaginable.

Then this summer we sold our three best players for around 45 million and replaced them with loan signings and players who we’re signifcantly worse.

As fans why aren’t we questioning where the money has gone? We are actually being managed worse than Ashley is with Newcastle, and no one is questioning Gibson a*** any of this

Randolph - 31

Shotton - 29

Ayala - 27

Flint - 29

Friend - 30

Besic - 26

Saville - 25

Howson - 29

Downing - 34

Braithwaite - 27

Hugill - 26

That starting line-up doesn't scream old tbf James. Looking further than that aswell you've got 25 yr old Britt, 23 yr old Mcnair, Fry is 21, Clayton 29, Gestede 29, Wing 23, Tav 19, Chapman 20 and Fletch is 23.

To say we've got one of the oldest squads in the league, which has little sell on value just isnt true I'm afraid mate. The Monk stuff is personal opinion but I don't think Monk is capable of taking 'promotion candidate' up, he's much better at clubs where the expectation is limited and there's less pressure, IMO.

Actually it does kinda scream old.  No players under the age of 25 in the starting XI.  Only three players under the age of 27.  The three subs who came on are 29, 29 and 25 so that's not really young either.  The younger players we do have barely get a look in really.  Fry started well enough but isn't in the side now, we've had Friend playing as a central defender in his place at times and the exceedingly ordinary Flint (29).  Wing started well and to reward him we've signed half the world's midfield players and dropped him - well done Lewis! 

Wilson has already beaten me to it with the stat about us being one of the oldest squads in the league, I'm slightly surprised that others don't see it.  I think the more relevant question is whether that matters or not really?  That we have an older squad relative to other sides isn't debatable but whether it's a big deal or not is up for discussion.  Some will feel it is and some will feel it isn't.  You can put your mortgage on Pulis being one who feels that it isn't.

Combine the two summers together you'll get 30 million in strikers and close to that on midfielders it is insane.

If I'd have told people 3 years ago in 3 years we'd have Downing starting right wing, a 7 million pound striker who can't get in the matchday squad and a strikeforce with a value of over 40 million pounds IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP I'd have been checked in to the nearest NHS hospital for a check up I mean our midfielders value is over 25 million if we say Besic's potential fee is 6 million I mean under Aitor if I threw these numbers out it would look insane no matter what way you look at it where was all that money for Aitor it's absolute loony tunes and the idea that gets put out from the club that getting in the playoffs will be a good result I mean I can't even compare this stuff the club's completely lost the plot since the playoff final summer it's an uncomfortable situation to deal with but the numbers in this squad and the fact we have our highest paid manager in our history on millions as well it's like living in the twilight zone compared to us getting excited over a deal for Stuani/Kike to where we are now.

Half of the outfield being 27 or younger and we're classing that as old now ? Downing is the only player in the squad who is comfortably 'old' in terms of how much time he's got left. Every other player could comfortably play for another 3 or 4 seasons.

Gibson has made a complete mess of the last 2 years there's no getting away from that.

I said yesterday that pound for pound I don't think there's many clubs that have performed worse than us in the last couple of years.

There's only Villa at our level I can think of.

Randolph - 31

Shotton - 29

Ayala - 27

Flint - 29

Friend - 30

Besic - 26

Saville - 25

Howson - 29

Downing - 34

Braithwaite - 27

Hugill - 26

That starting line-up doesn't scream old tbf James. Looking further than that aswell you've got 25 yr old Britt, 23 yr old Mcnair, Fry is 21, Clayton 29, Gestede 29, Wing 23, Tav 19, Chapman 20 and Fletch is 23.

To say we've got one of the oldest squads in the league, which has little sell on value just isnt true I'm afraid mate. The Monk stuff is personal opinion but I don't think Monk is capable of taking 'promotion candidate' up, he's much better at clubs where the expectation is limited and there's less pressure, IMO.

Actually it does kinda scream old.  No players under the age of 25 in the starting XI.  Only three players under the age of 27.  The three subs who came on are 29, 29 and 25 so that's not really young either.  The younger players we do have barely get a look in really.  Fry started well enough but isn't in the side now, we've had Friend playing as a central defender in his place at times and the exceedingly ordinary Flint (29).  Wing started well and to reward him we've signed half the world's midfield players and dropped him - well done Lewis! 

Wilson has already beaten me to it with the stat about us being one of the oldest squads in the league, I'm slightly surprised that others don't see it.  I think the more relevant question is whether that matters or not really?  That we have an older squad relative to other sides isn't debatable but whether it's a big deal or not is up for discussion.  Some will feel it is and some will feel it isn't.  You can put your mortgage on Pulis being one who feels that it isn't.

I still don't think it's an ageing squad, it's one thing having a group of players that are older than a number of other teams but apart from Friend and Downing I don't there's many other players in our team who are past their peak.

The problem isn't age, it's the type of players we've signed. I'm sick of saying it but we're crying out for pace and energy in the squad. Besic and Saville aren't the wrong age they're just the wrong type of players.

Britt is a good age but he's just a very average footballer who we massively overpaid for. You could go on and on with the rest of the squad.

Worse than Ashley. Heard it all now. Some people truly would throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Ashley gets criticised so much in the media due to his reputation but what has he done that Gibson hasn’t to us in the last few years? Plus for all his faults he has them a world class manager.

Where has our tv money gone plus the Traore, Gibson and Bamford money?