• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulis has played the same style of football all his managerial career, so why would he change this far down the line. The West Brom fan Hull Baggie told us the system we'd get under Pulis and that's been prove bang on. Go back to Villa in the play offs we were losing and still Pulis changed nothing. So he'll shuffle the squad, but nothings changing because I don't think he's capable of it, its Plan A and that's it and if it doesn't work we're ***ed simple as that.

He really doesn't have much in terms of options to change the formation. He wanted wingers and never got them. I'm not saying woe is him because I still think a big part of the reason we haven't got them is down to him but he was banging on about needing pace, 'direct pace', and we never got it. No-one in our squad offers pace, not even the young lads we want to see in and around the team.

We basically stick with the weird non-formation we're playing now or go back to the 3-5-2. I think most of us agree the latter is what we should be doing with the squad we have. Hell, it's precisely the reason he justified bringing Batth in to begin with. The only thing Batth is doing right now is preventing Fry from having a chance of playing which is utterly criminal given he started really well and that Batth's not even a long-term player. Fry is meant to be the future of our defence and he couldn't even make the bench on Saturday because of Batth being in the squad.

He really doesn't have much in terms of options to change the formation. He wanted wingers and never got them. I'm not saying woe is him because I still think a big part of the reason we haven't got them is down to him but he was banging on about needing pace, 'direct pace', and we never got it. No-one in our squad offers pace, not even the young lads we want to see in and around the team.

We basically stick with the weird non-formation we're playing now or go back to the 3-5-2. I think most of us agree the latter is what we should be doing with the squad we have. Hell, it's precisely the reason he justified bringing Batth in to begin with. The only thing Batth is doing right now is preventing Fry from having a chance of playing which is utterly criminal given he started really well and that Batth's not even a long-term player. Fry is meant to be the future of our defence and he couldn't even make the bench on Saturday because of Batth being in the squad.

I think the Fry situation is criminal, but when the wingers we've gone for have signed for other clubs then that in my opinion its down to not wanting to play under this manager. But regardless of if Pulis could change formation I don't think he would. The players we have on the bench aren't capable of coming on and giving us a spark that's required, but I'd honestly sooner see Wing  and Tavernier given a place on that bench and perhaps they could come on and make an impact. I just don't see this bloke wanting to change, I think he likes Plan A and sticks to it and our young lads don't fit into that.

When he had a winger with bags of pace, he did play him. He made the lad from a nothing to a hero. He didn't play this way. So in my opinion, based on what we've seen right here at our own club, yes he would play differently with actual wingers.

As for not wanting to play under this manager, if Bolasie didn't want to play for Pulis so badly, he wouldn't have come up here to begin with. He went to Villa because they're a bigger club in a better location. I'm not saying players will jump through hoops to play for Pulis but I'd hardly see them doing the same to play for Bruce either. I think the main reason we didn't get the players we supposedly wanted is we either weren't willing to pay over £10m for a player and we were following a transfer strategy defined by Pulis himself as 'picking up the scraps' in the hope we would knock a few quid off the asking prices. We might not have paid full whack for a lot of players and blown our budget early on... but then we have apparently spunked £8m on Saville late on because Millwall refused to sell. We've gone from trying to get business done early and throwing a lot of money around to trying to do the opposite and ending up potentially paying over the odds for a player anyway.

Here's hoping Saville can start to show before we reach January why he might even possibly be worth the money we're forking out for him.

If Pulis continues playing the same formation as we did on Saturday then we'll keep struggling and he'll deserve all the criticism he gets.

If? He's played the exact same way for the last 6 games and we have been very poor and dropped so many points that we shouldn't have dropped. It's not an if anymore, it's a reality that we are in the midst of witnessing. When should we start to criticise? when we've slid so far down the table that it's too late?

We're sleepwalking into disaster here, it's pretty obvious.

Can you give me the lottery numbers for Saturday?

If the lottery numbers were the same every single week, then yes, I could give you the lottery numbers for Saturday.

When he had a winger with bags of pace, he did play him. He made the lad from a nothing to a hero. He didn't play this way. So in my opinion, based on what we've seen right here at our own club, yes he would play differently with actual wingers.

As for not wanting to play under this manager, if Bolasie didn't want to play for Pulis so badly, he wouldn't have come up here to begin with. He went to Villa because they're a bigger club in a better location. I'm not saying players will jump through hoops to play for Pulis but I'd hardly see them doing the same to play for Bruce either. I think the main reason we didn't get the players we supposedly wanted is we either weren't willing to pay over £10m for a player and we were following a transfer strategy defined by Pulis himself as 'picking up the scraps' in the hope we would knock a few quid off the asking prices. We might not have paid full whack for a lot of players and blown our budget early on... but then we have apparently spunked £8m on Saville late on because Millwall refused to sell. We've gone from trying to get business done early and throwing a lot of money around to trying to do the opposite and ending up potentially paying over the odds for a player anyway.

Here's hoping Saville can start to show before we reach January why he might even possibly be worth the money we're forking out for him.

Well if Pulis plays differently he changes the habit of a managerial lifetime, he's strategy is based on defense, a big target men and set pieces so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see donkey Gestede starting up front next game.

If Pulis continues playing the same formation as we did on Saturday then we'll keep struggling and he'll deserve all the criticism he gets.

If? He's played the exact same way for the last 6 games and we have been very poor and dropped so many points that we shouldn't have dropped. It's not an if anymore, it's a reality that we are in the midst of witnessing. When should we start to criticise? when we've slid so far down the table that it's too late?

We're sleepwalking into disaster here, it's pretty obvious.

Can you give me the lottery numbers for Saturday?

If the lottery numbers were the same every single week, then yes, I could give you the lottery numbers for Saturday.

You are talking like he's only ever played one formation which is completely untrue.

He's played with 3 centre backs on multiple occasions this season so to suggest that he won't ever do that again is just nonsense.

You asked when it's ok to criticise him, if you read through my posts rather than just pick out one random line you'll see I've criticised him plenty over the last few days! :)

Well if Pulis plays differently he changes the habit of a managerial lifetime, he's strategy is based on defense, a big target men and set pieces so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see donkey Gestede starting up front next game.

I think in an ideal world Pulis would prefer to play 4-5-1 with 2 very quick wingers so in his defence he probably doesn't have the players to play exactly how he wants to do.

The other side of it is that he needs to find a formation which best suits the players available. He did that earlier in the season but he's certainly not doing that now. He seems to be trying to accommodate Saville and Braithwaite is stuck out on the left where he's wasted.

Talking about Saville something else I've found extremely frustrating the last couple of games is that we had Besic (a defensive midfielder by trade) and Saville (supposedly more of a goal threat/attacking player) and yet Pulis opted for Saville to be the one sitting and taking Claytons role. What the holy feck is going on there?

Talking about Saville something else I've found extremely frustrating the last couple of games is that we had Besic (a defensive midfielder by trade) and Saville (supposedly more of a goal threat/attacking player) and yet Pulis opted for Saville to be the one sitting and taking Claytons role. What the holy feck is going on there?

Yes this was mentioned on another thread and it’s baffling. Just pick players in their best position rather than trying to be too clever. I’d love him to be asked that exact question and listen to his logic.

To be fair, from what I've seen so far from the actual players, it makes sense. Besic can carry the ball and Saville can't. I find it more scary that we only figured that out after signing them.

The thing about recruitment is we've got a 40 million pound strikeforce and 25 million pound midfield if we take the options on Hugill and Besic so I mean when you hear Vickers and people say the club are careful with money at the end of windows that is not how I'd characterise our problem to be honest. I'm really not going to use it as a stick to beat Pulis with at the end of it he reinforced his central midfield heavily brought in his own striker and Flint's basically a CB designed for him so he clearly got his people or people he's happy with. We chased Sam Vokes, Matt Ritchie, Blasé, Bryan, Wallace, Freeman and god knows who else pretty sure the transfer fees weren't stumbling blocks with them we were willing to buy Bolasie on stupid financials.

We shouldn't have the 'sneak in the playoff' expectation with this manager and this squad he's the highest paid manager in our history and I'd bet this squad is the most expensive squad the clubs ever assembled the idea we should aim for what Mogga had to aim for on a shoestring isn't right. He's already putting himself in people's bad books before a ball gets kicked with his selection decisions and if you make the calls he makes and set up for set piece goals primarily everything else secondary when it's really not working it's going to look a lot worse than other managers when results turn.

Good post right here. We should be expecting a lot better performances even though Pulis didn't get his fast winger(s). And I doubt that would have changed anything because we were hardly set up more adventurous when Traore was here. We were still slow and boring except when Traore took in in his own hands for a combined few minutes every match.

With the squad we have and the finances available to Pulis it's not outragous to expect more. We're abysmal to watch and that's criminal with the squad available. Persisting to play Hugil, who is barely a football by the looks, is just madness. If he thinks he only lacks match fitness then bring him off the bench instead of starting. There must be some sort of clause in his contract that he has to play. I'm not saying Fletcher is the answer but he hasn't let anyone down when he has got his chance. And he offers some pace. People are calling Gestede a donkey but Hugil takes the price here.

But when push comes to shove it's not about the individual players. They are just instructed to carry out Pulis' 80's plan and doing what he says to keep their place in the squad. It's so obvious that Pulis is doing what he can to just try and be solid and not much is. Scoring goals is second most important after not conceding - at least it looks like that. He's trying to win by hoping for mistakes by the opposition like the Bolton and Ipswich games.

If things don't look better on the pitch with some desire on show I fear that Gibson is going to be witnessing dramatic drops in attendances.

I think in an ideal world Pulis would prefer to play 4-5-1 with 2 very quick wingers so in his defence he probably doesn't have the players to play exactly how he wants to do.

The other side of it is that he needs to find a formation which best suits the players available. He did that earlier in the season but he's certainly not doing that now. He seems to be trying to accommodate Saville and Braithwaite is stuck out on the left where he's wasted.

I personally believe even with 2 quick wingers in the squad Pulis is too defensive minded to play both, I think he'd play one winger and drop Braithwaite to the bench. I keep saying against Villa in the play offs needing a goal, the subs were like for like nothing changed.