oneBoro Forum

Let's have a heated debate

I like Flint, and I still think he's a good signing. However, he's underperforming on the goal scoring front.

Having said that, isn't that a characteristic of pretty much every scoring player we ever sign!! I certainly can't think of many players who suddenly become prolific having joined?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he needs to have better assurances over the delivery into the box for him to score the goals. Ayala is usually reliable for goals too and he only has the one against West Brom, which might not have even stood! They've both missed a couple but it's just like a striker, when the chances come often, you're ready for them. When they don't, you might not be.

In Flints defense as well he seems to be often used to peel off to the back post and look to head back across goal. 

Long and the short of it is that we don't have a quality set piece taker apart from Wing. Quite baffling really that none of our other professional footballers can whip in a decent ball.

Has anyone actually used wing not playing as a stick to beat pulis with? We all know how pulis sets up a team. It is what it is. We just want the guys who perform well to keep their places. Wing literally did nothing wrong but did create goals/chances with his set piece deliveries which have been far and away our best set pieces this season. I don't care where he came from or his experience. I care what he brings to the team.

He will go through poor spells. Drop/rest him then. But don't play those contributing very little.

I'm pretty sure people have used it as a stick to beat him with. Isn't that exactly what you're doing with your comments after that question, criticising the manager for not keeping the best performers on the pitch? I'm not even saying you're wrong, though I will call to people's attention again that Wing did suffer an injury which kept him out for a few games, including the U23s which he has just been part of again. I don't think it's as cut and dry as the manager just leaving him out every game... it's more the lack of intent to bring him back into squad which is quite rightly being called into question.

You know a large part of our problem is down to the simple fact that we don't have any attacking coaches. Pulis, Ellis, Woodgate and Fleming were all defenders in their playing careers. According to the stats, they managed to score 71 goals between them, which might sound impressive until you discount the 33 that Ellis scored for Mansfield Town. So to expect them to think like forwards is asking a bit much. They will always be more focused on keeping goals out rather than getting them in.

We have some great players, but the midfielders and forwards need to link up and get sharp. We will not get back up to the Prem and stay there if this does not happen.

i agree with your general point Syd, and especially that were desperately in need of  finding a coach or two that can drastically affect our offensive unit as it is performing below par  and its been a problem for a number of years now,  but its not as obvious as quoting names and where they played in thier day.  off the top of my head i can name mangers like Pep.Klopp,Sir Alex,at the very top level and then ,Eddie Hpwe,Nuno E,S, and Brendan Rodgers ,all of which managed sides that showed attacking flair ,none of which had careers themselves as offensive minded players .  thats just a sample i know but  i dont think its as obvious  as drafting in an guy known for being an attack minded player in his day . 

on a separate debate ,re Flint ..sure its not just me but while i accept he offers a threat for us when we get corners, long throws etc  theres also that kinda phil whelan  moment in him when hes actually doing his main job especially on the ground . im not 100 per cent  convinced on him tbh.

i agree with your general point Syd, and especially that were desperately in need of  finding a coach or two that can drastically affect our offensive unit as it is performing below par  and its been a problem for a number of years now,  but its not as obvious as quoting names and where they played in thier day.  off the top of my head i can name mangers like Pep.Klopp,Sir Alex,at the very top level and then ,Eddie Hpwe,Nuno E,S, and Brendan Rodgers ,all of which managed sides that showed attacking flair ,none of which had careers themselves as offensive minded players .  thats just a sample i know but  i dont think its as obvious  as drafting in an guy known for being an attack minded player in his day . 

on a separate debate ,re Flint ..sure its not just me but while i accept he offers a threat for us when we get corners, long throws etc  theres also that kinda phil whelan  moment in him when hes actually doing his main job especially on the ground . im not 100 per cent  convinced on him tbh.

I get what you are saying regarding Flint. A good championship defender but I don't think he is more than that. He will do well in a team that usually dominates and have lots of protection for the defence but I'm not sure that he can make the step up. He's not nearly as good as Ayala was when we got promoted and back then AK didn't think he was ready to start in the Prem. He is a decent player to have here while we are in the Championship though.