oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield Wednesday (A) 2-1 (Besic, Assombalonga)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t know how we manage to stay in the top but hope it continues. Looking at the points it’s more to do what others are not doing but it is a tough league and all can expect to drop points. I would prefer to have a cushion of more points Xmas is not far off and history tells me we will lose ground. I don’t see a team that’s gelling or perhaps it’s Pulis style of play but I am happy because I didn’t think we would be up there at all.

When you average 2 points per game there is always a good chance that you will sit on top. I’m not sure it’s just down to failures of others. We are good at getting points on board and while it’s not pretty we’ve better at that then 22 other teams.

When you average 2 points per game there is always a good chance that you will sit on top. I’m not sure it’s just down to failures of others. We are good at getting points on board and while it’s not pretty we’ve better at that then 22 other teams.

Exactly right, a win on Tuesday puts on a 2 points a game average, that will get us promoted automatically if we maintain that form regardless of what anyone else does.

If you put the style/entertainment factor to one side and just look at purely points gained we have started very well.

It certainly has partially been down to what others haven't done. Take yesterday alone and you can say there were 3 or 4 teams who could have gone ahead of us who failed to do so.

That doesn't mean a great deal right now though. There's very little in it in the top 12 teams, never mind the top 2 or 6. Every slip up can make a difference right now for everyone as it's the difference between potentially a really good weekend and a really bad one in terms of each club's position in the table.

But in spite of all that, we are still right up there at the top and it is still our position to lose and that is down to us. Compare this to our position last season at this stage, on a 5 game winless run, 11th place in the division, 12 points from Wolves in 1st all having just lost at home to Cardiff thanks to a late penalty conceded by Traore. Reading the Gazette's report on that game and phrases I can see are 'lack of identity', 'top two rivals edging out of sight'... we're certainly no longer lacking an identity even if it's predetermined by who is in charge. We're right in the pack and have been even in the poor points of this season so far. So far, so good.

Exactly right, a win on Tuesday puts on a 2 points a game average, that will get us promoted automatically if we maintain that form regardless of what anyone else does.

You’re right, but I’m looking at things differently.

If we get promoted with this squad, I personally think we’d fair worse than the PL season with Karanka.

With AK we had a settled system and it always felt like we were only a few short of a team capable of a survival challenge.

This season’s formation and team sheet is chaotic, not a core nucleus/system for us to build on like those teams that have managed to solidify their PL status.

I’d rather us have a plan and make good progress to building a strong to team to last, even if it takes 2-3 seasons.

I really hope to be proved wrong, we stick with the 5-3-2, give youth a chance along the way, and add some quality wing back signings in Jan - that would be exciting.

If we get promoted with this squad, I personally think we’d fair worse than the PL season with Karanka.

With AK we had a settled system and it always felt like we were only a few short of a team capable of a survival challenge.

This season’s formation and team sheet is chaotic, not a core nucleus/system for us to build on like those teams that have managed to solidify their PL status.

I’d rather us have a plan and make good progress to building a strong to team to last, even if it takes 2-3 seasons.

I really hope to be proved wrong, we stick with the 5-3-2, give youth a chance along the way, and add some quality wing back signings in Jan - that would be exciting.

We couldn’t do worse.

Is 9 classed as a few?

I agree surely there is no way we could do worse than our last failing visit to the PL?

Oh by the way we are 8 points better off than this time last season

If we go up and somehow have an even worse season than the 16/17 attempt, it will be without a doubt the worst season I have ever witnessed. I’d be pretty confident we’d stay up under Pulis if we got there, guaranteed survival is his thing.

Your point and mine are completely separate things to be fair.

Points wise we are doing very well this season, I don't think there's really much debate to be had there.

Is this squad good enough for the Premier league? No of course it isn't I agree with you. To be honest I don't think we've got a player in the squad who I think is good enough for that level.

Maybe If we brought in 5/6 new players next season then we could make do with a handful of the current squad but we'd need wholesale changes.

Its pointless worrying about though really until we (potentially) get there.

Randolph is a PL player to me.

Fry will be in a few years ;)

Clayton could do a job and maybe Besic. But none of them as a starter.

Other than that, I don't see anything else but fair to very good Championship players, to be honest.

But I see enough to go up.

Randolph is a PL player to me.

Fry will be in a few years ;)

Clayton could do a job and maybe Besic. But none of them as a starter.

Other than that, I don't see anything else but fair to very good Championship players, to be honest.

But I see enough to go up.

Yeah I'd agree with that, I still think Clayton could do a job at that level in a Pulis system and with the right players around him. Randolph would probably be ok but we're scraping the barrel after that for starters in the top flight.

We'd certainly need to rebuild the team at the top end of the pitch, we haven't got a striker who is close to being Premier league level, maybe Braithwaite as a squad player but we're already lacking creative players in the Championship let alone Premier league level.

I'm not counting Lewis Wing because I think he'll be at Barcelona or Real next season. :funny:

Your point and mine are completely separate things to be fair.

Points wise we are doing very well this season, I don't think there's really much debate to be had there.

Is this squad good enough for the Premier league? No of course it isn't I agree with you. To be honest I don't think we've got a player in the squad who I think is good enough for that level.

Maybe If we brought in 5/6 new players next season then we could make do with a handful of the current squad but we'd need wholesale changes.

Its pointless worrying about though really until we (potentially) get there.

Surely no team in the championship has a team good enough for the prem The only ones close are those that have been relagated. And as they were relagated they aren’t good enough either .