Team I would like to see start this one:

——————Randolph——————

———Ayala——Flint——Fry———

Shotton—————————Downing

——————Clayton——————

————Howson——Besic————

—————Braithwaite——————

————Assombalonga——————

Also with you on that lineup mate. Its the strongest lineup we can put out in my opinion, Mcnair could defo make that rwb spot his own in the future though.

We never should have changed that set up from the performances you mentioned. Think Wing is still very unlucky to not be involved and still our set pieces have been very poor since he went out the team however Besic and Howson both played very very well and nobody can do Claytons role as well as him so it would be harsh to drop any of them. 

Rotherham at home I certainly don't want Britt to be our only attacking outlet, but I'd place a large bet on it being the same team as Sheff Wed.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

He might shoe-horn Saville into the team somehow which worries me a little but even if he does, it's on Saville to start proving he's worthy of that place.

Downing at left wing back would likely mean Fry dropping out. It's a tough one because if we're to pick a team that Pulis could pick, both Downing and Friend will be in it for better or worse. And in a funny sort of way, you end up picking Fry or Braithwaite unless Downing plays in the 3 in midfield.

If Braithwaite plays, we either go to 4 at the back or Friend plays centre back with Downing out on the left. And to be fair, given our formations this season, that would likely change during the game into a 4 at the back which hasn't looked optimal for us at all.

If Fry plays, you can guarantee we'll be playing 3 centre-backs in the game and I feel we've always looked best in that more set in stone formation. But then Friend will be left wing back and Downing will likely be ahead of a midfield 3.

In terms of quality, you might say Friend was the easiest target here. Friend out, Downing to wing back, Braithwaite behind Britt. But Friend is the captain in the team right now. Or at a push (certainly after the Wednesday game) Besic. Besic dropped so Downing drops back into midfield with Braithwaite in front of them.

I don't see why McNair deserves a start ahead of Shotton right now? He whips in one decent cross as a sub and suddenly all Shotton's good performances are forgotten? He's not the best wing back in the world but by and large he's delivered the goods and certainly his pressing of the ball in the Wednesday game didn't liken him to a centre back or a full back, he was absolutely doing the job of a wing back, as was Friend.

I put McNair in as Shotton looked to be carrying a knock at the end of Sheff Wednesday, and I didn't think he'd be fit in time. Obviously I think Shotton will be starting if fit

That's fine OMG, it's more that there seems to be a bit of a clamour from some to get Shotton out of the team and McNair into it and that Pulis is daft for not doing it. This preexists Shotton's knock.

I don't see why McNair deserves a start ahead of Shotton right now? He whips in one decent cross as a sub and suddenly all Shotton's good performances are forgotten? He's not the best wing back in the world but by and large he's delivered the goods and certainly his pressing of the ball in the Wednesday game didn't liken him to a centre back or a full back, he was absolutely doing the job of a wing back, as was Friend.

I put McNair in as Shotton looked to be carrying a knock at the end of Sheff Wednesday, and I didn't think he'd be fit in time. Obviously I think Shotton will be starting if fit

That's fine OMG, it's more that there seems to be a bit of a clamour from some to get Shotton out of the team and McNair into it and that Pulis is daft for not doing it. This preexists Shotton's knock.

That's definitely true, was just stating my own reasons as I thought it was aimed at my lineup in the OP! Haha

That's definitely true, was just stating my own reasons as I thought it was aimed at my lineup in the OP! Haha

It’s a long season though and Rotherham at home should be a good opportunity for McNair to get some game time in the league (no disrespect to Rotherham). The players on the bench need to be kept on the toes.

cant really argue too much with the suggestions so far but as we have come to learn Pulis isnt one for making many changes league game to league game  if theres no obvious injuries or suspensions . for me Shotton was one of our better performers at Hillsborough  and though the opposite could be levelled at Friend  i think we will stick with the same side all being fit.

the one place id like to see a change is up top . Assombalonga  may well be half decent at notching a goal here and there for us but his overall play outside the six yard box is littered with poor ball retention, slow or lack of mind of thought if and when he does actually get the ball under control and offers very little in these areas otside the 6yd box.  Hugill is marginally worse in that hes shown little or no goal threat thus far and for me the only positive he has on Britt is enthusiasm. Gestede ,,,no ill not even try to stake a claim . which leaves  Fletcher, maybe we should put a bit of faith/belief that hes actually improved a bit  and give him a shot up top  . 

id love to see Wing and Tav closer (if not in) the starting 11 too. but theres good if not brilliant competition in thier areas at present .

It’s a long season though and Rotherham at home should be a good opportunity for McNair to get some game time in the league (no disrespect to Rotherham). The players on the bench need to be kept on the toes.

Fair point. Though I'd be surprised if Shotton was knackered any more than he usually has been after 2 games in a week going into the Derby game. Given how little we've seen of McNair in this side other than the cup games, I'd say it's still fairly risky to drop one of the players who is, for the most part, producing the performances the team requires of him. Unless he's injured, I don't think I'd drop him for either of the next 2 games.

As I said earlier, any of our 11 should be able to beat Rotherham. I know it's a bit radical, but I mean it in a way, that I think Pulis will or at least should rest a few for two very obvious reasons:

1. Try some new players and see who wants it enough, to have them ready, when needed. (Mc'Nair, Batth, Wing, Tav, Mc'Queen, Fletcher)

2. If we play with the same team, we will be tired against Derby 4 days later and we have just played a very tough game in Sheffield. A few of our players looked like they got some knocks. Shotton the most.

I would personally keep the core of the team and rest 3-4 players

I think Braithwaite will start. Shotton was definitely struggling with something on Friday and seemed shocked not to be subbed. He did recover though.

If it was my choice I would play

Randolph

Ayala. Flint. Fry

McNair. Friend

Clayton

Howson. Besic

Braithwaite

Britt

Save Downing for Derby and give Shotton a rest. Besic will do 60 mins to be replaced by Saville. Hugill to replace Britt after 75 mins. McQueen on for Braithwaite in last 5 minutes

3-0 Boro all goals in 1st half - Braithwaite, Flint, Besic.

Fair point. Though I'd be surprised if Shotton was knackered any more than he usually has been after 2 games in a week going into the Derby game. Given how little we've seen of McNair in this side other than the cup games, I'd say it's still fairly risky to drop one of the players who is, for the most part, producing the performances the team requires of him. Unless he's injured, I don't think I'd drop him for either of the next 2 games.

It's a case of keeping momentum with a settled side after victory opposed to rotating your sqaud when you have capable players on the bench who must be getting slightly restless. After playing two internationals in the break McNair ahould be in decent form though.

Pulis remarks about Braithwaite suggests he will start on Tuesday and likely against Derby too. Seems like Pulis is putting a bit of expectations on his shoulders and rightly so. It's time for Braithwaite to find his form from august/september but that requires 3-5-2 and not 4-3-3.

Feel quite confident about picking up a win. With the exception of the horror show at Hull, we've been pretty ruthless at dispatching the bottom half teams. The attitude looked right against Sheff Wed so hopefully it carries on here.

I have a feeling we could see three or four changes. We have the luxury of being able to rest players for Derby, so why not? Downing, Shotton, Besic could maybe do with a rest and then start fresh on Saturday. Derby have a tough game at WBA with a day less to recover. Something like the below should be able to comfortably see off Rotherham at home.

---------Randolph-----------

--------Ayala-Flint-Fry------

McNair--------------Friend--

Howson--Clayton--Saville

----Braithwaite-Britt---------

I'd change it up a bit for Rotherham at home:

---------------Randolph-------------------

-----Shotton----Flint----Fry--------------

McNair-------Clayton-------Downing

-------Howson---------Besic-------------

-------Braithwaite---Britt---------------

We'd have 2 Centre Backs who are comfortable bringing it out from the back, 2 attacking Wingbacks, a solid midfield 3 and then 2 up top. Stick with the high pressing style from the Sheffield Wednesday game, as we've seen it forces a lot of the teams in the Championship into errors.

As we all know, Pulis’ philosophy is to pack the back line with defensively minded giants.

Lots of valid points on the wing back positions but Shotton/Friend will always get the nod whilst Tony’s in charge.

Braithwaite just has to start as they’ll most park the bus and we need some talent on the pitch.

For that reason I’d also have Wing playing too, as he can run with the ball and pick a forward pass, but can’t see it happening unfortunately.

Rotherham's away record this season is played 6 and lost 6 so yes can see the "parking bus" syndrome on Tuesday night but boy if ever there was a real chance to get a decent score line then surely this has to be it?

Rotherham's away record this season is played 6 and lost 6 so yes can see the "parking bus" syndrome on Tuesday night but boy if ever there was a real chance to get a decent score line then surely this has to be it?

You’re right - but we’ll set up to ‘stifle them’!