oneBoro Forum

Boro v Rotherham United 0-0

Playing Clayton V Rotherham is like wearing a helmet to get a tattoo on the arm ..

But I'll shut up and keep my opinion for my self after this.

If Clayton isn't on the field, they have more than 2 shots on target I think. He broke up so much and kept everything ticking. Yes we weren't very good offensively but the way we play, taking off the anchor and glue that sticks everything together for another forward player isn't how it works.

Clayton is there to supplement the creative players - our creative players are just a bit ***. 

That's the problem.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Clayton definitely not the problem, agreed there.

Still really struggling to see what howson brings to our team to be honest. Said it over the summer and still seems to just be there without really doing anything. Would love to see him replaced with another Braithwaite type player so that were not constantly looking for him to do something. It was like watching traore at times tonight with him being crowded out as soon as he got on the ball.

No point hoping for that anyway, there's no chance pulis will play more than 2 creative players at once.

Strange this, he’s widely been rated as one of our better players this season by most. Think there’s a reason he’s played pretty much every minute of this season. That’s my opinion anyway.

Funny how people see the game differently!

As for Clayton, he’s definitely an important player in our team and not the problem at all. However, for every person that uses him as a scapegoat, there’s one that overrates him to the nth degree on every game (Brunners ;) ) Personally I think he’s somewhere in the middle.

Still really struggling to see what howson brings to our team to be honest. Said it over the summer and still seems to just be there without really doing anything. Would love to see him replaced with another Braithwaite type player so that were not constantly looking for him to do something. It was like watching traore at times tonight with him being crowded out as soon as he got on the ball.

No point hoping for that anyway, there's no chance pulis will play more than 2 creative players at once.

Strange this, he’s widely been rated as one of our better players this season by most. Think there’s a reason he’s played pretty much every minute of this season. That’s my opinion anyway.

As for Clayton, he’s definitely an important player in our team and not the problem at all. However, for every person that uses him as a scapegoat, there’s one that overrates him to the nth degree on every game (Brunners ;) ) Personally I think he’s somewhere in the middle.

Clayton is quite often described as 'the best in the league' or 'one of the best in the league' in his position by objective TV pundits. Ex players and the like.

If neutrals like that think he's that good, I don't think he is being overrated on here.

Wasn’t slating him. Said he’s an important player.

Just saying that for everyone who uses him as a scapegoat, there’s someone who overrates him.

Not just Clayton, it’s the same with most players... I really rate Howson, some think he’s the worst. Some really love Downing, some hate him.

It’s part of football, different opinions. If we all thought the same thing it’d be boring.

Just saying that for everyone who uses him as a scapegoat, there’s someone who overrates him.

Not just Clayton, it’s the same with most players... I really rate Howson, some think he’s the worst. Some really love Downing, some hate him.

It’s part of football, different opinions. If we all thought the same thing it’d be boring.

It's really interesting, this season more than most seems to have produced wildly different views on our players all over the pitch, with the exception of probably Randolph.

Can I just ask (in a non argumentive way!) What it is you see in howson? What do you feel he brings to the team? Because I really can't see it

We are still very average in our patterns of play maybe mild improvements but that's mainly been down to individuals like Braithwaitee/Besic stepping up a level or two. Rotherham are one of the worst away form teams in the league we're one of the best home form teams it's absolutely 2 points dropped not good enough for us to not be putting teams like that away.

Bit of an indictment on Saville to be left out like this I like the midfield 3 we put out but paying 7 million for a sub this soon into his Boro career says more about management than him to be honest nice to see Fletcher get a chance though... next week vs Palace.

Gestede and Hugill on the bench together is just not necessary if you bring them both on it harms the team rather than helping it. Oh and Fry getting chopped will be vindicated in the clean sheet but doesn't mean people have to like it still not convinced in what we're trying to do on the pitch tactically we look the same we looked a month ago vs Norwich a couple of personnel tweaks but we're still lacking that standout on form forward killing off games for us in open play.

It's really interesting, this season more than most seems to have produced wildly different views on our players all over the pitch, with the exception of probably Randolph.

Can I just ask (in a non argumentive way!) What it is you see in howson? What do you feel he brings to the team? Because I really can't see it

It is interesting, mate! I'm not sure why the views are more polarised this year, but maybe its parallel to how polarised the views on Pulis are.

Re; Howson. I think he's one of the few technically gifted players that we've got, especially in our starting eleven. I think a lot of what he does goes bit unnoticed, and because he isn't the best in the challenge (unlike say Clayton), a lot of fans don't like this from a midfielder. 

I think last season wasn't great for him, especially the first six months, although Humpty told me that he heard from a good source that he really didn't like/feel comfortable playing the way that Monk was asking him to play.

I think he started this season really well, and has chipped in with a few decent assists. If Braithwaite would have just slotted the ball home last night, he would have got another one. 

I don't think he's the complete midfielder, otherwise he'd be playing for a better team. I do however, think that he's better than Besic, and certainly better than Saville. I wouldn't compare him to Clayton, as they're very different midfielders. 

Our best midfield, in my opinion, is the combination we saw last night. My main problem is that with Clayton in that role, Besic and Howson need to be playing further forward. I don't know whether this is the players fault, or that this is how they've been instructed by Pulis to play.

We are still very average in our patterns of play maybe mild improvements but that's mainly been down to individuals like Braithwaitee/Besic stepping up a level or two. Rotherham are one of the worst away form teams in the league we're one of the best home form teams it's absolutely 2 points dropped not good enough for us to not be putting teams like that away.

Bit of an indictment on Saville to be left out like this I like the midfield 3 we put out but paying 7 million for a sub this soon into his Boro career says more about management than him to be honest nice to see Fletcher get a chance though... next week vs Palace.

Gestede and Hugill on the bench together is just not necessary if you bring them both on it harms the team rather than helping it. Oh and Fry getting chopped will be vindicated in the clean sheet but doesn't mean people have to like it still not convinced in what we're trying to do on the pitch tactically we look the same we looked a month ago vs Norwich a couple of personnel tweaks but we're still lacking that standout on form forward killing off games for us in open play.

I'm not certain, but I think Saville got injured whilst away on international duty. (I was watching highlights of N.I game, and he definitely picked up a knock).

Norwich came from behind against Villa last night. Two goals from Jordan Rhodes.

We could do with someone like him, who can finish the few chances we have......

We aren't creating decent chances to miss. How many did Britt miss last night?

I remember Braithwaites chance which he should have scored but can't really remember another where I thought we should have.

Can't wait for this season to be over tbh.

I don't over rate Clayton, I rate him appropriately.

I genuinely believe he's as good and as important to this team as I said.

if you listen to objective pundits and people not tied to Middlesbrough you usually hear similar thoughts on Clayton so it's not like I'm alone in my praise.

49 crosses into the box, 13 corners, 5 shots on target tells you everything you need to know.

Our delivery is terrible.

The last 15 minutes was some of the worst football i have seen at any professional level (and I go watch National League football at times).

Rudy Gestede is baffling. He is such an athlete but is actually devoid of any footballing ability. He was getting into people's way, not passing, couldn't shoot, couldn't control the ball. I feel like he has been robbing us for nearly 2 years now.

Pulis isn't blameless either - Last 15 minutes he just goes native and probably does the only thing that Rotherham are comfortable with - hoofing it long.

One thing we should take out of the game last night - that Rotherham corner routine.

Randolph deserves credit, he saves us at least once a game, twice last night i was thinking goal and he saved it. Besic was really good again too.