oneBoro Forum

Boro Vs Derby County 1-1 (Bogle OG)

I'm trying to paint the picture of what I say when I say the set pieces drying up is really bad news for us people don't realise the extent to which we are built to earn and capitalise on set pieces.

From 2009-2012 Stoke City scored around 35-36 PL goals per season and on average *20* of those goals per season were set pieces over 55%. His primetime at WBA he was closing on 20 set piece goals again it's when those set piece goals dried up WBA started really struggling what happened to us since the Leeds game? Set piece goals have absolutely dried up so we have gotten poor results in general and games that should be put away Hull/Rotherham we drop 4 points. We can argue about the lack of pace in the team all we want we've been saying that for years anyway when we fielded Reach/Stuani wide we bemoaned the same thing doesn't change the disparity in this squad being just ridiculously high valued at close to 80 million something Aitor did not have the luxury of dealing with so the poor Tony line doesn't wash with me he has a squad he's built he might have a couple too many strikers from previous managers he doesn't like but it's not like they're useless journeyman I mean Christ we could cobble together a bench worth over 20 million not many teams in this league that could do that.

Most alarming thing for me in the past 6 weeks has been how poor our set pieces are the only way we get promoted is if we pull in 25-30 set piece goals and that's on the low side of what I'd expect from us the fact week to week, besides today we were better today, our set pieces just do not get better is way more alarming than Britt running down alleys for 90 minutes or us wacking 40 yard diagonals. If we don't start scoring set piece goals soon we'll miss benchmarks and fall behind I'm not even going to go there on we can sign players in January because well I mean... I mean come on I'm terrified of what we'll do in January it'll either be reckless, incompetent or inadequate I don't even want to think about another transfer window with us at the minute.

Good point about the set pieces, but don't equate our transfer spend with ability though.

Britt cost 16m and he doesn't look like he's worth 5m at the moment. Gestede and Fletcher were 7m each when they're not worth anywhere near that combined.

If this squad cost 80m, we've overpaid by about 50m. A lot of the crap wasn't bought by Pulis but the players he has brought in are no better either.

Who bought Randolph he’s proved a great buy. As has flint and saville. I don’t get some thinking saville was a waste of money I’d put him up there as our best midfielder .

Randolph has probably been our best signing in years. Easily the best keeper in the league. However I’m not sure Flint is a 7 million pound player. A good championship defender but I’m not sure he is much better than Fry. And Savillenis defiantly not an 8 million pound player. Again, a decent championship player but I can’t see him being a difference between promotion and not. I just can’t see him influencing games.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to paint the picture of what I say when I say the set pieces drying up is really bad news for us people don't realise the extent to which we are built to earn and capitalise on set pieces.

From 2009-2012 Stoke City scored around 35-36 PL goals per season and on average *20* of those goals per season were set pieces over 55%. His primetime at WBA he was closing on 20 set piece goals again it's when those set piece goals dried up WBA started really struggling what happened to us since the Leeds game? Set piece goals have absolutely dried up so we have gotten poor results in general and games that should be put away Hull/Rotherham we drop 4 points. We can argue about the lack of pace in the team all we want we've been saying that for years anyway when we fielded Reach/Stuani wide we bemoaned the same thing doesn't change the disparity in this squad being just ridiculously high valued at close to 80 million something Aitor did not have the luxury of dealing with so the poor Tony line doesn't wash with me he has a squad he's built he might have a couple too many strikers from previous managers he doesn't like but it's not like they're useless journeyman I mean Christ we could cobble together a bench worth over 20 million not many teams in this league that could do that.

Most alarming thing for me in the past 6 weeks has been how poor our set pieces are the only way we get promoted is if we pull in 25-30 set piece goals and that's on the low side of what I'd expect from us the fact week to week, besides today we were better today, our set pieces just do not get better is way more alarming than Britt running down alleys for 90 minutes or us wacking 40 yard diagonals. If we don't start scoring set piece goals soon we'll miss benchmarks and fall behind I'm not even going to go there on we can sign players in January because well I mean... I mean come on I'm terrified of what we'll do in January it'll either be reckless, incompetent or inadequate I don't even want to think about another transfer window with us at the minute.

Good point about the set pieces, but don't equate our transfer spend with ability though.

Britt cost 16m and he doesn't look like he's worth 5m at the moment. Gestede and Fletcher were 7m each when they're not worth anywhere near that combined.

If this squad cost 80m, we've overpaid by about 50m. A lot of the crap wasn't bought by Pulis but the players he has brought in are no better either.

Who bought Randolph he’s proved a great buy. As has flint and saville. I don’t get some thinking saville was a waste of money I’d put him up there as our best midfielder .

Randolph has probably been our best signing in years. Easily the best keeper in the league. However I’m not sure Flint is a 7 million pound player. A good championship defender but I’m not sure he is much better than Fry. And Savillenis defiantly not an 8 million pound player. Again, a decent championship player but I can’t see him being a difference between promotion and not. I just can’t see him influencing games.

If Ben Gibson is £15M, I'd say Flint is definitely worth £7M. (Certainly there or there abouts). Saville, given the nature of the position he plays (and the goals he scored LAST season) is probably why he cost what he did. (And the fact that Millwall didn't really want to sell). Why we were QUITE so keen to get him, I don't know.

I'd say Britt is where we've over paid the most. I think we'd get more than £5M for him, simply because he's a striker... but I reckon we'd struggle to get £10M. (Maybe £8M)?

Saville our best midfielder? Based on what?

Even Tony Pulis is admitting we played badly and that we urgently need new attacking options (slightly different tune to pre-match!) - See gazette article below. At least now he’s owning up to it - maybe play a few more attacking players Tony?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/snatched-derby-draw-wont-mask-15337670.amp

+ Does anyone else think saville looks like bill from Bill & Ted?

Urgently need new attacking options? He only plays 1 bugger per match so why do we?

He has wanted wingers since he came here..... We sold our best one (and only one) I dont think that was because Pulis wanted to sell him?

We then tried to sign wingers all summer

not sure we would be better with wingers, but Pulis wants to play 4-3-3 or varations of it

A Pulis team usualy consists of 4 central backs, 3 midfielders and then 2 wingers and an attacker that are suppose to do all the offense. A bit simular to how karanka did it here, but he wanted fullbacks too and more possession

Even Tony Pulis is admitting we played badly and that we urgently need new attacking options (slightly different tune to pre-match!) - See gazette article below. At least now he’s owning up to it - maybe play a few more attacking players Tony?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/snatched-derby-draw-wont-mask-15337670.amp

Haha. Yes, he does look a bit like that dude Bill.

Urgently need new attacking options? He only plays 1 bugger per match so why do we?

He has wanted wingers since he came here..... We sold our best one (and only one) I dont think that was because Pulis wanted to sell him?

not sure we would be better with wingers, but Pulis wants to play 4-3-3 or varations of it

A Pulis team usualy consists of 4 central backs, 3 midfielders and then 2 wingers and an attacker that are suppose to do all the offense. A bit simular to how karanka did it here, but he wanted fullbacks too and more possession

Did we really try to sign wingers all summer? There were minor rumors about Wallace from Millwall and then we scrambled for Bolasie on the last day of the loan window. An expensive out of shape winger. We didn’t do nearly enough to sign wingers. If pulis really wanted some we would have done a lot more at least as soon as it was clear we were losing Traore.

Did we really try to sign wingers all summer? There were minor rumors about Wallace from Millwall and then we scrambled for Bolasie on the last day of the loan window. An expensive out of shape winger. We didn’t do nearly enough to sign wingers. If pulis really wanted some we would have done a lot more at least as soon as it was clear we were losing Traore.

we wanted Adomah too ;)

But I dont think we have managers in this club anymore so I dont blame our coaches when we dont get any players. Dident blame Monk and Karanka either.

My first thought as well - Excellent!!!

Would have had more respect for Pulis if he came out and admitted he set us up wrong from the start and it was his fault, though to give him credit he did change things. Hopefully he will now realise that we need to be more positive especially at the start of matches to ensure we set the tempo in games.

we wanted Adomah too ;)

But I dont think we have managers in this club anymore so I dont blame our coaches when we dont get any players. Dident blame Monk and Karanka either.

Again, Adomah was on the final day of the loan window. To me that implies that wingers weren’t really in his plans throughout the summer. It seems more like desperation at the very death.

we wanted Adomah too ;)

Again, Adomah was on the final day of the loan window. To me that implies that wingers weren’t really in his plans throughout the summer. It seems more like desperation at the very death.

well looking at how he plays they must have been in his plans, its not like he wants to play 5-3-2 thats for sure.

so for me its all comes down to our recruitment department who has not delivred since McClaren was here