oneBoro Forum

Boro v Crystal Palace (Carabao Cup 4th round) 1-0 (WING)

3 wins away from Europe - Not bad, when Burton is one of the opponents ;)

Let's start next season in PL and Europa League :D

Could be just two wins away. If the winning finalist qualifies for Europe doesn’t the losing finalist get the spot? Or have they abolished that?

Not anymore, goes to next place team in PL

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleased with the result and performance last night.

Surely Wing and Tavernier have got to be pushing for a place in the squad.

Without trying to put a dampener on things I'm finding it hard to get excited about a tournament where a semi final will likely see us, Man City, Chelsea and ***nal /Spurs.

There very little magic in the cup anymore when you know you've got virtually zero chance of winning it. The positive from last night for me is the performances of the young lads rather than progressing to the later stages of the cup.

Without trying to put a dampener on things I'm finding it hard to get excited about a tournament where a semi final will likely see us, Man City, Chelsea and ***nal /Spurs.

There very little magic in the cup anymore when you know you've got virtually zero chance of winning it. The positive from last night for me is the performances of the young lads rather than progressing to the later stages of the cup.

I do get where you're coming from but isn't that exactly a reason to get excited?

If (and it's a bigger if than some acknowledge) we get past Burton we're 90 minutes from a cup final!

In 2004 we had virtually zero chance of getting past ***nal over 2 legs, in 2015 we had virtually no chance of beating Man City but we did. These results do happen and that's the whole reason we should be excited

I do get where you're coming from but isn't that exactly a reason to get excited?

If (and it's a bigger if than some acknowledge) we get past Burton we're 90 minutes from a cup final!

In 2004 we had virtually zero chance of getting past ***nal over 2 legs, in 2015 we had virtually no chance of beating Man City but we did. These results do happen and that's the whole reason we should be excited

Aren't the semis still over two legs? Bristol had Man City in the ropes last season I seem to remember. A semi final against one of the biggest clubs in the country is a welcome distraction to the championship battle. It's almost a free set of games that could help reinvigorate the supporters. Yesterday there were under 12k for a last 16 game at home against a Prem team. We need something to get excited about. 

And just to get it clear I expect Burton to give us a very tough game and I'm not expecting a walkover at all.

Good my question about the semi final has been answered thanks for that and yes perhaps we need to accept that Burton might view this game as we clearly are, for certain it means we can stil use the hub of the cup team that has taken us this far,

My serious question is did we perform at a better level against, and it has to be said a Premier League team, than we have done in recent displays?

If so where were we better and would there been any missing players not involved last night that would have improved the team effort and display.

One thing I will add is that I would rather use Hugill than Gestede based on performance levels. There simply seems no desire and effort in Rudy and I would like to see him gone come January

You're right upsets do happen, but our squad in 2004 was packed full of internationals and we were a mid table premier league club. It's not really an fair comparison!

It's not impossible that we could pull off a miracle over 2 legs but to do that and then beat someone like Chelsea or Man City in a final is nigh on impossible.

I'm not saying everyone shouldn't get excited I'm just a bit cynical about football when money tends to dictate who wins and the billionaire clubs clean up. Maybe we could be this year's Leicester who knows. :)

You're right upsets do happen, but our squad in 2004 was packed full of internationals and we were a mid table premier league club. It's not really an fair comparison!

It's not impossible that we could pull off a miracle over 2 legs but to do that and then beat someone like Chelsea or Man City in a final is nigh on impossible.

I'm not saying everyone shouldn't get excited I'm just a bit cynical about football when money tends to dictate who wins and the billionaire clubs clean up. Maybe we could be this year's Leicester who knows. :)

The semi being two legs is a bit of a killer... the better team will usually progress when given a second chance. Wigan knocked City out in a single FA Cup game last year - lightning would have been unlikely to strike twice in an away second leg.

Anyway, seeing us as a main event against one of the big boys in a semi-final will be class whether we win or lose. Those big games don't come around all that often for the likes of Boro these days! Great opportunity to go through against Burton.

Since we last won the cup teams like Bradford, Cardiff, Wigan & Birmingham have all made the final against the odds - yes it's unlikely but if you don't cling on to the slimmest chances of success then what's the point?!

And on the '04 run I know our team was better but don't forget that the ***nal team we faced were the invincibles - their loses for an entire season were to Man Utd, Inter Milan and Dynamo Kyiv - then to us twice. I'd argue that was probably the most unlikely results in our history

Since we last won the cup teams like Bradford, Cardiff, Wigan & Birmingham have all made the final against the odds - yes it's unlikely but if you don't cling on to the slimmest chances of success then what's the point?!

And on the '04 run I know our team was better but don't forget that the ***nal team we faced were the invincibles - their loses for an entire season were to Man Utd, Inter Milan and Dynamo Kyiv - then to us twice. I'd argue that was probably the most unlikely results in our history

***nal also rested half of their team against us in 2004.

I hope we win the cup I really do. I just don't feel very excited, I'm sorry that's just how I feel.

Every year that goes on the gap gets bigger not only between the Premier league and the championship but the top 4/5 and everyone else.

Man City could probably put an A, B and C team out that would be miles stronger than ours. You say what's the point, well sooner or later that's how fans are going to feel unless the people running football come up with something to put everyone on a more level playing field. I don't mean FFP which has changed nothing, something that actually gives everyone in each division a fair chance of success.

I'm going off onto a different topic now anyway, I'll leave it there. I'll post more on the 2019 European tour thread when it comes up!

Good my question about the semi final has been answered thanks for that and yes perhaps we need to accept that Burton might view this game as we clearly are, for certain it means we can stil use the hub of the cup team that has taken us this far,

My serious question is did we perform at a better level against, and it has to be said a Premier League team, than we have done in recent displays?

If so where were we better and would there been any missing players not involved last night that would have improved the team effort and display.

One thing I will add is that I would rather use Hugill than Gestede based on performance levels. There simply seems no desire and effort in Rudy and I would like to see him gone come January

I thought we were much better yesterday. There was a lot more intend in our passing and some good movement. Also our crossing seemed much better. McNair had a few crosses that had the Palace defence scrambling. For all his failures as a footballer Hugill held the ball up well yesterday. Was certainly a lot better than Gestede who seems incapable of moving.

We bossed Palace for most of the game and the win was well deserved. We could have had an extra goal. Batth seemed rusty on the ball but was great at the heart of defence alongside Ayala. As others have already said Wing and Tav deserve to be in the first team matchday squad and Fletcher should be ahead of Gestede.

I was impressed with the verve and enthusiasm last night , especially for the first hour or so with Wing and Tav chasing down the play and Wing making some good passes and of course his goal was exactly what our first team midfielders have been failing to do

Agree Hugill was much better last night at holding the ball up and think that as he slowly gets to full match fitness he will become more of a goal threat. I have always liked Fletcher and think there is a good player there.

Shame about young McQueen - Boy was in lots of pain so hope he is ok soon

I still think Braithwaite flatters to deceive and should be doing better. Wont be in the slightest bit surprised to see him gone in january

Pulis on Wing:

"He's a good player, he's got lots to improve on and lots to learn," said the manager of the matchwinner.

"He's a bit naive in certain things at the moment but he's a wonderful, wonderful lad and loves every minute of playing football.

"We got him to sign a new contract, which we're delighted about. He's got to keep his feet on the ground, keep working hard and doing what he does, one day he'll be a regular in the team."

I don't think we are going to see him as a regular fixture in the team any time soon. Maybe the odd place on the bench. Unless he really kicks into gear as a more permanent fixture in the matchday squad I can see him going on loan in january.

Pulis on Wing:

"He's a good player, he's got lots to improve on and lots to learn," said the manager of the matchwinner.

"He's a bit naive in certain things at the moment but he's a wonderful, wonderful lad and loves every minute of playing football.

"We got him to sign a new contract, which we're delighted about. He's got to keep his feet on the ground, keep working hard and doing what he does, one day he'll be a regular in the team."

I don't think we are going to see him as a regular fixture in the team any time soon. Maybe the odd place on the bench. Unless he really kicks into gear as a more permanent fixture in the matchday squad I can see him going on loan in january.

A bit naive.... aka sometimes tries his luck with a shot or through ball instead of recycling it wide for a floated cross to no-one

Pulis on Wing:

Yes, god forbid we have a player who looks forward as a first thought rather than recycling backwards and sideways. Pulis is a absolute donkey if he can't see the positives outweigh the negatives with having Wing in the side.

It could happen, Palace's season isn't going great so far and the league is their only priority.

Maybe, just maybe, if remaining heavy weights ***nal, Spurs, City and Chelsea all draw each other along the way we might have a route through to the final.

Let's win our trophy back... UTB

It's happening..!

Did anyone else notice that in the goal celebrations Hugill attempted to blast the ball into the net and hit it over the bar :funny: