oneBoro Forum

Boro v Crystal Palace (Carabao Cup 4th round) 1-0 (WING)

One thing I know about Pulis is he hates 'recycling backwards and sideways' so that's a silly thing to accuse him of. It's literally the last thing he wants the players doing and you can see him screaming at them when they do. Only Clayton seems to get away with it..

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It could happen, Palace's season isn't going great so far and the league is their only priority.

Maybe, just maybe, if remaining heavy weights ***nal, Spurs, City and Chelsea all draw each other along the way we might have a route through to the final.

Let's win our trophy back... UTB

It's happening..!

Did anyone else notice that in the goal celebrations Hugill attempted to blast the ball into the net and hit it over the bar :funny:

Yep......

Pulis on Wing:

"He's a good player, he's got lots to improve on and lots to learn," said the manager of the matchwinner.

"He's a bit naive in certain things at the moment but he's a wonderful, wonderful lad and loves every minute of playing football.

"We got him to sign a new contract, which we're delighted about. He's got to keep his feet on the ground, keep working hard and doing what he does, one day he'll be a regular in the team."

I don't think we are going to see him as a regular fixture in the team any time soon. Maybe the odd place on the bench. Unless he really kicks into gear as a more permanent fixture in the matchday squad I can see him going on loan in january.

Yes, god forbid we have a player who looks forward as a first thought rather than recycling backwards and sideways. Pulis is a absolute donkey if he can't see the positives outweigh the negatives with having Wing in the side.

If I have to defend Pulis here (which I don't really want to :omg: ) I think he is reffering to Wings positioning. I saw a few times yesterday that he was a bit out of position and sometimes it was too easy for Palace to play through our midfield. He's only played 7 games for us so it's only natural that he still has things to learn. 

BUT, that only comes with game time. He has the raw attributes of looking forward, picking a great pass, will get stuck in and has a delicious set piece on him. Those are all traits that will get better with gametime. It's such a shame that we paid 8 million for Saville which is probably the biggest reason why Pulis is picking Saville over wing atm. Not that Saville is a bad player, but Wing just seems to deliver more. We've also been blessed with luck on the injury side in midfield this season with none of Wings rivals getting injured. In style and play Howson is probably Wings direct rival and he is having a decent season and not someone who tires though games so will almost always play 90 mins.

Pulis on Wing:

"He's a good player, he's got lots to improve on and lots to learn," said the manager of the matchwinner.

"He's a bit naive in certain things at the moment but he's a wonderful, wonderful lad and loves every minute of playing football.

"We got him to sign a new contract, which we're delighted about. He's got to keep his feet on the ground, keep working hard and doing what he does, one day he'll be a regular in the team."

I don't think we are going to see him as a regular fixture in the team any time soon. Maybe the odd place on the bench. Unless he really kicks into gear as a more permanent fixture in the matchday squad I can see him going on loan in january.

Yes, god forbid we have a player who looks forward as a first thought rather than recycling backwards and sideways. Pulis is a absolute donkey if he can't see the positives outweigh the negatives with having Wing in the side.

If I have to defend Pulis here (which I don't really want to :omg: ) I think he is reffering to Wings positioning. I saw a few times yesterday that he was a bit out of position and sometimes it was too easy for Palace to play through our midfield. He's only played 7 games for us so it's only natural that he still has things to learn. 

BUT, that only comes with game time. He has the raw attributes of looking forward, picking a great pass, will get stuck in and has a delicious set piece on him. Those are all traits that will get better with gametime. It's such a shame that we paid 8 million for Saville which is probably the biggest reason why Pulis is picking Saville over wing atm. Not that Saville is a bad player, but Wing just seems to deliver more. We've also been blessed with luck on the injury side in midfield this season with none of Wings rivals getting injured. In style and play Howson is probably Wings direct rival and he is having a decent season and not someone who tires though games so will almost always play 90 mins.

I see what you're saying, however I'm not sure I entirely agree, I didn't really notice Wing getting caught out of position (I think he was doing Howsons Job of being the most forward pressing midfielder). They passed it around a little better once Milivojevic came on which is expected given hes a good quality prem midfielder. Meyer is very highly rated and Puncheon has been decent enough prem player. You've got to remember he had Leadboots with him who has no legs whatsoever. 

The only thing I'd say was he did seem to tire, but again that could be down to lack of game time. I do remember him tiring quite a bit when he was starting earlier in the season as well so maybe his fitness levels need to improve.

Agree with you on Saville though, possibly Besic as well to an extent. Neither are bad players (although I'm not seeing what Saville brings at all) but with Wing and Tav you have to wonder how Pulis thought he was being careful with our money splashing 14m on them. Especially with gaping holes elsewhere in the squad.

Pulis on Wing:

I see what you're saying, however I'm not sure I entirely agree, I didn't really notice Wing getting caught out of position (I think he was doing Howsons Job of being the most forward pressing midfielder). They passed it around a little better once Milivojevic came on which is expected given hes a good quality prem midfielder. Meyer is very highly rated and Puncheon has been decent enough prem player. You've got to remember he had Leadboots with him who has no legs whatsoever. 

The only thing I'd say was he did seem to tire, but again that could be down to lack of game time. I do remember him tiring quite a bit when he was starting earlier in the season as well so maybe his fitness levels need to improve.

Agree with you on Saville though, possibly Besic as well to an extent. Neither are bad players (although I'm not seeing what Saville brings at all) but with Wing and Tav you have to wonder how Pulis thought he was being careful with our money splashing 14m on them. Especially with gaping holes elsewhere in the squad.

Besic was understandable but in hindsight Saville wasn’t. At the time though wing had only played a few games so you can forgive pulis for wanting to get someone more experienced in. Looking back the Saville deal seems way too desperate though.

It could happen, Palace's season isn't going great so far and the league is their only priority.

Maybe, just maybe, if remaining heavy weights ***nal, Spurs, City and Chelsea all draw each other along the way we might have a route through to the final.

Let's win our trophy back... UTB

It's happening..!

Did anyone else notice that in the goal celebrations Hugill attempted to blast the ball into the net and hit it over the bar :funny:

I don't want to seem like I'm defending Hugill ( although I did yesterday during the game ) he definitely didn't try and put the ball in the net after we scored, if anything I'd say he tried to kick it out of the stadium. He absolutely belted it as far away from the pitch as possible.