oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke City (a) 0-0

Good point.

If Hugill could score he'd be a top Champ striker.

Besic was outstanding.

Wing doesn't suit being so high up the pitch in a 10 position, we need him on the ball more.

Look better balanced with Tav on the left.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

im not going to point out the negative aspects as we all know what they are and were again  and are probably sick of forever debating them match in match out , they can only change when alternative personnel come in. Anyway the positives, Randolph once again assured,,in him we have argueably the best keeper in the championship,. Central defence showed tonight that we have as good a choice to pick from as anyone in this league. Fry can do a half decent job as a temporary fill in at RB . Clayton,Howson,Besic  ,Tavernier,Wing and Downing are more than enogh choice (plus Saville and McNair) to pick from as central midfielders. None of them had poor games tonight ,accepting where they are most (and least) efficient. Hugill did really well holding the ball up compared to Britt and linked with supporting players ok from time to time . All in all forget where they are position wise at the moment, they are a good side with some good players and to come away from thier place with a share of the spoils  and having had the better chances and competing throughout is a good point gained in a difficult fixture. Finally i hole heartedly agree with the two substitions , Braithwaite stunted all our decent opportunities and Downing had no real influence ,it wont go down well with a fair few but for me they are the two we need to replace to fit in what were crying out for in january.

Spot on, mate

We were the better team and rest assured stoke will finish top 6 so that is a good point. Desperately wanted Hugill to put that away but it was a very good bit of keeping. The lads getting better by the game though and his hold up play was excellent. Braithwaite continues to do nothing much really. Batth was immense and Randolph again assured. Shame Clayton got his usual booking as it took a lot away from his game after that.

How does Hugill get in that side over Britt, I really don’t see what he brings to the side, for someone who is his size he spends most of his time on the floor, and his finishing....

Anyway beyond caring, zero interest until Pulis has gone. We’re going nowhere while he is here. Noticed the away end half empty today, shocking really considering the distance, looks like fans are starting to get sick

Falling away from the 2 point a game target now. We need 4 wins on the spin to get back to it, don’t think we will get there again this season. Our lack of goals is starting to take its toll.

Probably not going to need 2 points per game to gain promotion this season. It's very competitive this season and all team will take points off each other. 

The teams that lose the least amount of games usually go up. At present we are one of three teams that have lost two games so far. We're in a dogfight and providing the club strengthens in January we have as good a chance as any of securing an automatic spot.

Falling away from the 2 point a game target now. We need 4 wins on the spin to get back to it, don’t think we will get there again this season. Our lack of goals is starting to take its toll.

Probably not going to need 2 points per game to gain promotion this season. It's very competitive this season and all team will take points off each other. 

The teams that lose the least amount of games usually go up. At present we are one of three teams that have lost two games so far. We're in a dogfight and providing the club strengthens in January we have as good a chance as any of securing an automatic spot.

Not losing is obviously good but we need to turn some of the draws into wins to get top two and to do that we need to score more goals. I agree we need to strengthen and it needs to be in the creativity department to increase our goals output. If we do that then I agree we have a good chance of top 2. Based on recent seasons though I don’t have a lot of confidence in us doing it.

I thought I would refrain from giving knee jerk reactions at the time in last nights game and instead wait and consider what I watched.

I believe I watched a really good game of football and that the result under most circumstances totally acceptable and deserved by both sides.

Sadly as mentioned it means only one point on the board and with others getting 3 points this tightness at the top intensifies so we need to turn stoic defensive games into 3 points to stop Norwich, Derby and possibly Leeds from pulling away from the "group"

Not going to moan about the chance Hugill had, just a pity no-one was running with him as an option.

Stoke looked good and they will get better because they will face teams with an inferior defence than ours certainly at their ground.

Yep we were a little unlucky but we gave an admirable display and MOM award fully deserved.

@Wilson please consider returning to the forum as the Wigan thread should be yours to do and well we do need a good result before the next IB

Terrible game imo. But I am quite hopeful that there are signs of a very good side that will improve on current form. Hugill was rubbish but he was involved a lot of what we did well in the second half. With a run of games I think he will come good. I totally see why Pulis picks him over Britt.

Terrible game imo. But I am quite hopeful that there are signs of a very good side that will improve on current form. Hugill was rubbish but he was involved a lot of what we did well in the second half. With a run of games I think he will come good. I totally see why Pulis picks him over Britt.

Yes I am not a Britt lover the guy for me is very lazy and is a yard off others because he is not thinking ahead and also if you watch his play he hardly tries to get in front of defenders to win that ball on cross's.

Hugill is an irritating player who tends to fall over easy when touched and does not win to many balls in the air,but his good point is that he can run with the ball and hold it up for the midfielders to run on to when they are not defending that is. His shooting for a forward is atrocious. 

For the best of the poor trio of experienced forwards that we have :

Gestede is the man I would put out there from the off he wins balls in the air he can hold up play and he is some one to aim for when that ball is kicked out of defence. But like you say of Hugill Gestede needs play time and Pulis needs to be harsher on him and tell him to get on with it when he gets a little knock.He's big enough he as the meat on his bones and should be getting in the mix more often instead of looking at the bench and moaning he as just had a knock and wants treatment.

But if I was going to select a striker who will give a 100% in my opinion it has to be Fletcher yes he is inexperienced but at 23 he as time on his side and should be getting more game time than he is at present. Personally I would put him on the bench and give him the last 20 mins for a few games backing up Gestede then try him out from the kick off .

I would give up on Brittass he is a lost cause and we should get something back from his transfer in January,  and Hugill well if he does not improve in the reserves then kick him back to the Hammers at the end of the season.

I just wish Pulis was good at selecting strikers like he is at selecting defenders.

Yes I am not a Britt lover the guy for me is very lazy and is a yard off others because he is not thinking ahead and also if you watch his play he hardly tries to get in front of defenders to win that ball on cross's.

Hugill is an irritating player who tends to fall over easy when touched and does not win to many balls in the air,but his good point is that he can run with the ball and hold it up for the midfielders to run on to when they are not defending that is. His shooting for a forward is atrocious. 

Gestede is the man I would put out there from the off he wins balls in the air he can hold up play and he is some one to aim for when that ball is kicked out of defence. But like you say of Hugill Gestede needs play time and Pulis needs to be harsher on him and tell him to get on with it when he gets a little knock.He's big enough he as the meat on his bones and should be getting in the mix more often instead of looking at the bench and moaning he as just had a knock and wants treatment.

But if I was going to select a striker who will give a 100% in my opinion it has to be Fletcher yes he is inexperienced but at 23 he as time on his side and should be getting more game time than he is at present. Personally I would put him on the bench and give him the last 20 mins for a few games backing up Gestede then try him out from the kick off .

I would give up on Brittass he is a lost cause and we should get something back from his transfer in January,  and Hugill well if he does not improve in the reserves then kick him back to the Hammers at the end of the season.

I just wish Pulis was good at selecting strikers like he is at selecting defenders.

Totally agree with your view on our strikers!

I thought I would refrain from giving knee jerk reactions at the time in last nights game and instead wait and consider what I watched.

I believe I watched a really good game of football and that the result under most circumstances totally acceptable and deserved by both sides.

Sadly as mentioned it means only one point on the board and with others getting 3 points this tightness at the top intensifies so we need to turn stoic defensive games into 3 points to stop Norwich, Derby and possibly Leeds from pulling away from the "group"

Not going to moan about the chance Hugill had, just a pity no-one was running with him as an option.

Stoke looked good and they will get better because they will face teams with an inferior defence than ours certainly at their ground.

Yep we were a little unlucky but we gave an admirable display and MOM award fully deserved.

@Wilson please consider returning to the forum as the Wigan thread should be yours to do and well we do need a good result before the next IB

Good post DS. I think that it is unlikely that anyone will pull away from the group as it is so tight and the games are so hard to call. It was a good performance last night and a good result overall.

Totally agree with your view on our strikers!

I doubt we'll try to sell Britt in January. If we do want to though, it (kind of) makes sense to play him a bit, to keep him in the shop window.**

**Having said that, maybe he's better off out of the shop window, as his value will fall with too many poor performances :D