oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke City (a) 0-0

Just read a past quote from McLean on that Gazette article.

"If the poppy was simply about World War One and Two victims alone, I’d wear it without a problem," he wrote."

"I would wear it every day of the year if that was the thing but it doesn’t, it stands for all conflicts that Britain has been involved in. Because of the history of where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that.

"For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different."

I find it hard to disagree with him when it's put in those terms.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

McClean started on some boro fans at the end ahahaha

Also I just saw the video and McClean didn't start on Boro fans, Boro fans started on him, yelling abuse at him for not wearing the poppy as he left the pitch.

Some absolute creatures follow this club

Follow every club

We seem to have more than our fair share

"If the poppy was simply about World War One and Two victims alone, I’d wear it without a problem," he wrote."

"I would wear it every day of the year if that was the thing but it doesn’t, it stands for all conflicts that Britain has been involved in. Because of the history of where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that.

"For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different."

He shouldn't have to justify not wearing the poppy full stop. It's funny how only people in the public eye seem to get flak for it.

He shouldn't have to justify not wearing the poppy full stop. It's funny how only people in the public eye seem to get flak for it.

Agreed

And people wonder why James mcclean has his back up about this and resorts to impassioned posts on Instagram when this is the kind of double standards he has to deal with every year.

Like it or not there's still an anti Irish agenda in some sections of the British media and it's sickening.

And people wonder why James mcclean has his back up about this and resorts to impassioned posts on Instagram when this is the kind of double standards he has to deal with every year.

Like it or not there's still an anti Irish agenda in some sections of the British media and it's sickening.

This match thread should not be over shadowed by this McClean incident. As a mod you should not be making personal comments on The Troubles.

This match thread should not be over shadowed by this McClean incident. As a mod you should not be making personal comments on The Troubles.

It was an incident that happened at the match and was already being discussed in the thread, so it's 100% relevant. Nothing I said was targeted at anyone (beyond the British media) nor was it controversial in any way so why shouldn't I post it?

He never mentioned The Troubles. He merely pointed out the very obvious double standards from a National newspaper

It's a pointless discussion.

Says you.

Give Mclean the choice of having to watch the boro or wearing a poppy - that should break him.

Why are people seriously making such a big thing about this? What if his reason is he absolutely hates the English and thats it? so what - would it be a shock? Like we don't know about sectarianism. He has every right to wear what he wants or not to - did all the fans booing him have poppys on? I've just flicked through 14 pics of the fans at the game on the website and three had poppies on - guess they're OK to do what they want eh?

He never mentioned The Troubles. He merely pointed out the very obvious double standards from a National newspaper

That’s the sun the mirror the mail I can’t read . Is there a paper that is ok or is it all fake news

That’s the sun the mirror the mail I can’t read . Is there a paper that is ok or is it all fake news

Nobody said you can’t read it.