oneBoro Forum

Scouting and saving money

Can anyone tell me just what the present official scouting system there is in place at the club?

It certainly seems to me that Messers McQueen and Mills have not done a great job over the last few years and perhaps we can save some money in this area or do you feel that they will be dismissed at the end of the season when GS revamps and changes current coaching staff if he goes down that route.

Maybe there is not so much emphasis in discovery of players away from the region anymore as i have to say there are not many names I can think of that have been disovered by our current scouts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Strachan clearly doesn't think much of any scouting network we have given he is only interested in signing players he knows about personally.

Ignoring the transfer window just gone its hard to think of any signings we've made over the last couple of years which can be classed as good signings. Guess that suggests the scouts are useless.

I have to agree.The only 2 decent signings under GS1 reign were GON & Luke Young.Prominent 1st teamers at their previous club.Even Huth was a crocked German International.Hardly unearthing talent is it?Not like freezing yer nuts off on Hackney Marshes discovering talent,or at some non-league ground.

The rest of Gareth's signings should not have been scouted.Would have saved millions.

Players have been around.Simon Cox & Ricky Lambert for 2.Only a mill each.Available before the start of the season.Who did Gareth get?

Pass me the Prozac!!

He got Yeates(nom) & Coyne(free).I believe he also missed out on a couple of targets,& eventually got Folan on loan.(pass the pills).I think he was told he had to make funds.BUT as we know Gareth was bottom of the class at wheeling & dealing.

I understood there was a small pot,but Gibson wasn't going to let it go to waste.

Plus we are talking about scouting here.About unearthing talent wherever that may be.not buying established players,but unearthing diamonds from coal.

Tell me LS One player who GS1 signed who has fulfilled their potential.

Nope!

Me neither!!

just look at all the players he got rid of that are currently playing in the PL! Not good enough for us, but they go to a different club and continue to play in the top league.

Ultimately gibbo is to blame for allowing southgate so much time to screw us so badly as he - 'learned'.

sorry, on the subject of the thread;

we could certainly save wages on our scouts, unless they are the people responsible for getting the talented local kids into the academy.

Hi Hero,Your 1st point is very valid .Look at George.Phil Brown says his is the 1st name on the team sheet if fit.Steve Bruce has developed The Catt.Even Holloway has redesigned Jason Euell.

back to the thread

I do not object to the money the scouts get,as long as they are seen to be achieving their aims.There must be a new Stan Cummings playing in the Northern or Ryman league.

Remember Roy Keane was picked up from Cobh Rangers.Surely TLF could find us some kids off Rio beaches?

He got Yeates(nom) & Coyne(free).I believe he also missed out on a couple of targets,& eventually got Folan on loan.(pass the pills).I think he was told he had to make funds.BUT as we know Gareth was bottom of the class at wheeling & dealing.

I understood there was a small pot,but Gibson wasn't going to let it go to waste.

Plus we are talking about scouting here.About unearthing talent wherever that may be.not buying established players,but unearthing diamonds from coal.

Nope!

Me neither!!

No I can't do that, or well Lita, I think he is as good as he gets lol :-P

I seriosly think that MFC should scout Scandanavia better. Full of potential and very cheap players.

Nope!

Me neither!!

No I can't do that, or well Lita, I think he is as good as he gets lol :-P

I seriosly think that MFC should scout Scandanavia better. Full of potential and very cheap players.

Now thats not a bad shout LS we all know from the past about decent Norweigen players so there must be out there somewhere or do they all go to Germany now?

I think we saw a little of Strachans faith in others putting possible players in the frame at Boro.

Last month he sent one packing before he had a chance to do any work after just two days and the goalkeeper went to another club before he was allowed to train with the squad.

He will not take any notice to the idiots that we have on the books, and I think that goes for Lamb to if the truth be told.

Can anyone tell me just what the present official scouting system there is in place at the club?

I think they use the Brownies.

Actually, when I read the title of this thread, I though you were going to tell us where we can get cheap woggles. :D

Well I get the feeling we all feel bemused by the current set up and perhaps scouting is not quite the same because of transfer windows but I certainly cant remember a player joing from the lower leagues and becoming a fans favourite for a long long time and I accept some will say Yeates