oneBoro Forum

oneBoro - Are we Dying?

I don't have much more to add other than it was annoying when people would bait for arguments and it was similarly annoying that when you did have a legit discussion and disagreed with someone as soon as they realised they were wrong they would start labelling you as argumentative and attacking them.

people are going to disagree, that's the beauty of life and the internet, I just wish some people were more mature.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been posting on the forum as long as some, but for me it's less a problem with the forum itself and more that fan expectations have shifted so much in the last five years. We had two really exciting seasons (14/15 & 15/16) followed by the grim relegation and the utter disaster of Monk. Its altered the expectation of a lot of fans and led to a general apathy that has definitely seeped into this place...

A few wins over Christmas and hopefully some of the feel-good factor will be back for the second half of the season... The buzz of the 14/15 and 15/16 promotion pushes were so much fun and we're really not a million miles off doing it again.

In terms of improving the forum, maybe mods could be a bit hotter on removing 'debates' that have moved well on from football and descended into personal spats? There have been times where I've wanted to chat about something Boro related and it's been buried in a ton of bickering.... if people really want to hash it out then take it to PMs.

I've seen the 'like' function on other forums - could be worth a trial..? Interested to hear others thoughts.

if mods did that there'd be an out cry of censorship and nazi mods. we've already had historical incidents of members thinking the mods have overstepped, I can't see it being different this time.

I haven't been posting on the forum as long as some, but for me it's less a problem with the forum itself and more that fan expectations have shifted so much in the last five years. We had two really exciting seasons (14/15 & 15/16) followed by the grim relegation and the utter disaster of Monk. Its altered the expectation of a lot of fans and led to a general apathy that has definitely seeped into this place...

A few wins over Christmas and hopefully some of the feel-good factor will be back for the second half of the season... The buzz of the 14/15 and 15/16 promotion pushes were so much fun and we're really not a million miles off doing it again.

In terms of improving the forum, maybe mods could be a bit hotter on removing 'debates' that have moved well on from football and descended into personal spats? There have been times where I've wanted to chat about something Boro related and it's been buried in a ton of bickering.... if people really want to hash it out then take it to PMs.

I've seen the 'like' function on other forums - could be worth a trial..? Interested to hear others thoughts.

if mods did that there'd be an out cry of censorship and nazi mods. we've already had historical incidents of members thinking the mods have overstepped, I can't see it being different this time.

Fair point, I know its all subjective at the end of the day and a bit of a grey area for the mods.

Bottom line for me is that for a forum to work there has to be an acceptance that there will be different views and everyone is equally entitled to those opinions. I have to say that the lack of tolerance to opposing views has been a real turn off over quite some time now.

Not sure what the answer is other than to say I for one welcome those differing views and if we can't all accept that we might as well close the site now or at least stop calling it a forum

I don't have much more to add other than it was annoying when people would bait for arguments and it was similarly annoying that when you did have a legit discussion and disagreed with someone as soon as they realised they were wrong they would start labelling you as argumentative and attacking them.

people are going to disagree, that's the beauty of life and the internet, I just wish some people were more mature.

I don’t agree with this. Can we ban him?

I’m still here guys, just not checking as much as I used to for various footballing and non-footballing reasons. I still love the forum and the friendships I’ve made so I’ll always be around! All the bickering and bitterness did get a bit much though so it made me feel less like coming on here - why we can’t all accept we have differing opinions without descending into insulting one another I don’t know! Having said that I have splinters in my *** I sit on the fence so much. It just got really tiring looking at a thread and having to go through pages and pages of arguments - the threads got so diluted with that that I forgot what they were about. It’s a difficult one though, because it’s only because we all care so passionately about the Boro that these arguments happen. Hopefully though as we come into the new year and start (hopefully) picking up some more wins and (hopefully) cementing our place in the top two we’ll all be united by optimism and excitement and it’ll be a happy place again! There’s a reason I call myself Ever the Optimist ;)

Bottom line for me is that for a forum to work there has to be an acceptance that there will be different views and everyone is equally entitled to those opinions. I have to say that the lack of tolerance to opposing views has been a real turn off over quite some time now.

Not sure what the answer is other than to say I for one welcome those differing views and if we can't all accept that we might as well close the site now or at least stop calling it a forum

I agree with this; although I will also add that as well as accepting different views, you have to also accept that people may openly disagree with yours.

that shouldn't be off putting to people - if you believe something you should have reasons for doing so; and if you ever turn out to be wrong you should be big enough to hold your hands up and say fair enough. 

People should welcome discussion; but people are so scared of being disagreed with they're not bothering to post.

I will say that at times some of the disagreements did stray past discussion of the topic into personal insults and that needs to stop.

Very grateful indeed for the posts being made, I know the Brentford thread will not reach record numbers but please do not let it fall to another low.

There are so many members I miss even Moderators are not posting anymore and with regards to moderating I think we strike a decent balance, opinions are opinions let's all hope that the Boro do their stuff despite the differences to galvanise this forum

A forum should be about discussion and we often have to disagree, to have something to discuss ;)

But!

Some people tend to use spiteful sarcasm as their only way of telling people, that they disagree and THAT'S where things get rotten!

So let's all agree to having a lot of healthy disagreements and a lot of talks about how we keep in the top 2!

When the window opens again, things will get more busy for sure. A good streak in December's many fixtures will for sure make this a happier place again!

I apologise about the match threads too, Alan. Feel like I should say that publicly rather than privately as that was my responsibility and didn't follow through with it. Also want to say thank you to oneBoro for inadvertently helping me through a pretty tough time around my birthday when I won a couple of tickets to go to the Palace game with my wife, we both had a great time and it really cheered me up (even though I missed the goal after breaking my 'wait for the whistle' rule to go for a coffee). I'd had a really bad couple of weeks around that time and it really helped getting to justify going somewhere other than my house and work for what felt like the first time in months.

But back to this... it's as if our club is currently going through an all-time low and being involved with it with an opinion from the opposite side is like fighting back against a very strong tide. People can feel how they want to feel at the end of the day and its clear no sense of looking at the positives really exists any more to some. Some people still want to blame Pulis for that and I think it's a bit pathetic. And that's not aimed at forum members alone, it is aimed at fans of the club in general because it absolutely is the case that this exists off-forum... but enough exist on here that posting on here became something that made me feel worse about following the team I love to follow, through thick and thin and through whatever brand of football is shown on the pitch.

Being a Boro fan and watching us play really makes my days better for that ~2 hours every week or few days or whatever. Coming on here and discussing the reasons our tactics didn't work or why some players don't work in certain positions or basically just chatting about how we performed and how we feel about the result, that was also good. People giving opinions, people disagreeing, all fine, that's what discussion and debate is for. It's those that are perhaps emotionally invested in what entertainment we provide and discussing their misery at it all and putting that all on a manager who has been relatively successful so far that I just can't stand being around any more. I struggle to keep a smile on my face as it is a lot of the time without having to read that. And maybe that's selfish and I should be more supportive but sometimes people need to do what makes them happier and sadly that for me means not getting involved in posting for now.

Agree with this. Having been a stern critic of pulis for quite some time now I’m actually quite happy that there are people with a different view to balance things out. I appreciate the arguments they make and can see the positives which makes for a decent discussion (although I admit that a lot of my posts regarding matches are semi drunken rants with little thoughts behind).

Moderating is about right I think Alan.

I don't think we are too heavy handed to be honest.

As a forum we could maybe be a little more mature at times,passion and opinions are fine but there is a line that needs to be drawn at times.

Anyway I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game ,hope you boys are also.

C'mon Boro

I check in daily but don't post as much. For me, it stems back to when Karanka was axed and Gibson went with Agnew

He simply gave up and that campaign in the prem was a waste of time, after seven years of trying to be promoted it was a f*** from top to bottom. . Then Monk... Yeh i got excited with the signings Monk made and in hindsight not all of them worked out and his strategy failed. Pulis , i want to get promoted and i want three points but i just wish we had a few players (attacking ones) on that team sheet that would make other teams envious and us boro fans get off our seats. Im 50/50 with Pulis. Id like to see him being able to sign the attacking players he truly wants because maybe with that extra pace and flare it would be more entertaining. He has not come here to stay in the Championship and he knows we need pace/goals to get promoted built upon the solid backline. Finally i think the recruitment team is a shambles and i think its only fair Gibson backs Pulis and the recruitment team deliver for once.

It's a sorry situation when fans overriding emotion is expecting success rather than being optimistic and hoping for success. When Karanka started to turn things around and steadily built the promotion winning side, the general atmosphere a*** Boro fans was of optimism and hope, and absolutely not expectation. Boro had fallen that low in 2013 that even the early subtle green shoots of recovery under Karanka were appreciated by large sections. As things had been awful since 2008 up until he arrived, our expectations had pretty much hit rock bottom. Since then we got promoted, had an influx of money and big name players but ultimately got relegation. Since relegation the attitude seems to have shifted towards expecting winning and also winning with style, and every time we drop points that negativity seems to get some frothing at the mouth wanting someone to blame - which is normally Pulis.

The toxic atmosphere of a moderate section of fans having unrealistic expectation is common for all football clubs after relegation as they're still suffering from that hangover, so we're no different from the rest. We're just in that phase of having lingering unrealistic expectations and not appreciating the difficulty of the job that Pulis has to get us promoted. Either we'll get promoted and we'll push back that toxic tide for at least one more season or we'll not get promoted and get stuck in the Championship (like after our previous relegation), which will quickly drain any sort of expectations of promotion. Only after then will the negativity slide and only then will they have a positive outlook. Those negative now could well look back at our current situation now being 2nd in the Championship under Pulis as far better times.

A quote I always refer back to is "you can't reason with the unreasonable". To me there seems to be a gulf between the reality and the expectations of a moderate section, so there really isn't much point in trying to express my opinion. That's probably why when sections start jumping on Pulis for any dropped points I just ignore them and post less in general. Hopefully the expectation drifts soon as it's such a draining and negative emotion.