oneBoro Forum

Boro V Preston North End (A) 1-1 (Tavernier)

With the resumption of Championship action following the recent International break saw no favours extended to the Boro with all top 7 teams, apart from Sheffield United's draw, all winning their games however a bit of a gap is beginning to show from 8th place down but Boro did what they had to do and we all saw a very decent away win ensuring we for the time being keep pace with those in and around us.

Very busy period ahead up with games coming up thick and fast and so we move onto our next game.

Preston North End V Middlesbrough

Venue Deepdale

Tuesday 27th November

Kick off 1945 hours.

Game available on red button on Sky or goals as they go in on Skysports.

Introduction

Currently 2nd spot takes on 16th spot but let's not kid ourselves that this will be 3 points for the taking even though we have over recent seasons done fairly well at Deepdale.

We have a second away game on the spin within 4 days and a repeat of our decent win at Brentford would be at this stage very welcome and allow us to maintain pressure on those other teams close to us.

Our current form (starting with latest result) is WWDDDW 12 points from a possible 18 and I think it is fair to say that recent form and performances are encouraging.

Onto PNE who we know from recent campaigns are a team capable of going through the season and getting very near to the play off spots and a team that on their day can and often do pull out big results especially at home.

Despite their lowly position we should not be fooled as their current form is WWDDWD again 12 points from a possible 18 and they come off the back of a thumping home win against Blackburn. Indeed they are on a 8 match unbeaten run and actually are becoming one of the form teams due to this so their current position is possibly false.

Alex Neil is a shrewd Manager and I would expect that Tony Pulis has some respect for him and knows only too well what PNE will throw at us especially early part of the game.

It was mentioned on the EFL programme that the whole league knows that if you let Boro score first you do not win the game, what pressure is that we have on our shoulders?

Last time out

New Years Day game ending in a 3-2 win for Boro at Deepdale with Ayala scoring twice and Howson getting on the score sheet.

What will/should Tony do?

I think that there may very well be changes in personnel in this game but TP will try and retain as far as possible a winning team and set up as we saw against Brentford, Certainly Braithwaite will come into the equation as there might be a couple of niggly injuries from the Brentford game and maybe a bit of tiredness. Also for our own sake I think a couple or so might need to up their performance levels and allow us more support when we get into goal scoring positions.

Injury News

Unsure at this time if we have new injury concerns following the Brentford game but I understand that Ryan Shotton is now ready for inclusion into the match day squad and McQueen the only long term absentee.

Other games of interest

As these are midweek matches they are spread over Tuesday and Wednesday so as follows:

Tuesday.

Brentford V Sheffield United

Hull V Norwich

Leeds V Reading (Sky Main event)

Wednesday

Stoke V Derby (Sky Main event)

Villa V Forest

Swansea V WBA

A view from Downsouth

The momentum of our current form has to be continued and I believe we are capable of just doing that, no doubt this will be a hard game and a difficult one to call but with some easier games for our close rivals I think this has to be a "must not lose" game.

We know what to expect now, will PNE try and stop us scoring and settle for a draw or will they go out for their own goal first?

We will have chances, we always do and finally it seems as if we recognise that we could be winning games by a healthy margin if we took our chances, so we could be smiling Tuesday evening and looking forward to yet another match day thread from yours truly.

Final request

To all lurking members and those who are abstaining from posting at the moment, just one post from you before the game would be most welcome, hey you can't blame me for trying to boost interest and post numbers for one of the most favourite parts of the oneBoro forum for all members.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great opening post DS. I can’t see too many changes from Saturday unless forced by niggles or injury. Here’s hoping that you will be starting the thread for the Villa game as well UTB

Big game for us this, oddly I feel more confident in these sort of away games, then I do when we're at home. Pulis is good at setting us up well away from home, as seen by the Brentford result. If we can get three points, that would set us up for a home game on Sat, and a win there would take us top I think. That's a great incentive.

Not the end of the world if we picked up just a point, would like to see the same team as Brentford, but maybe try someone else for Besic, who I think hasn't really done much since he's come back.

Another great opening post DS. I can’t see too many changes from Saturday unless forced by niggles or injury. Here’s hoping that you will be starting the thread for the Villa game as well UTB

As do I Joe, taking over Wilsons shoes is a big challenge :)

But if not Foogle you will need to do the Villa thread!

After a horrific start, thanks to a bad batch of injuries and a lack of investment during the summer despite the likes of Hugill and Cunningham being sold for a combined £12m+ in the past 12 months or so, we have now gone 8 unbeaten, won the last 2 and are slowing climbing the table again.

It looks like mid-table this season, after missing out on the play-offs by 2 points last season, but as I've said, the manager wasn't really backed in the summer to sign a target man to replace Hugill, we've had bad injuries and it all spiralled out of control for a bit and we were shipping goals, losing game after game.

Alex Neil is a good manager though and we seem to be looking up the table again now rather than down. We've beaten Wigan and Blackburn 4-0 and 4-1 in quite important derby games and the fans are firmly on side with him.

Our key attacker this season, Callum Robinson, did his hamstring yesterday and will miss Tuesday. Daniel Johnson, a key playmaker, is out until January with a quad issue. Sean Maguire, probably our main striker, missed the first 2 months of the season and is now out again (very injury prone) until January after yet another hamstring strain on Ireland duty.

Therefore, expected line-up -

Declan Rudd

Tom Clarke

Paul Huntington

Ben Davies

Josh Earl

Ben Pearson (one of, if not the best holding midfielder in the division)

Paul Gallagher

Tom Barkhuizen

Alan Browne

Brandon Barker

Lukas Nmecha

After a horrific start, thanks to a bad batch of injuries and a lack of investment during the summer despite the likes of Hugill and Cunningham being sold for a combined £12m+ in the past 12 months or so, we have now gone 8 unbeaten, won the last 2 and are slowing climbing the table again.

It looks like mid-table this season, after missing out on the play-offs by 2 points last season, but as I've said, the manager wasn't really backed in the summer to sign a target man to replace Hugill, we've had bad injuries and it all spiralled out of control for a bit and we were shipping goals, losing game after game.

Alex Neil is a good manager though and we seem to be looking up the table again now rather than down. We've beaten Wigan and Blackburn 4-0 and 4-1 in quite important derby games and the fans are firmly on side with him.

Our key attacker this season, Callum Robinson, did his hamstring yesterday and will miss Tuesday. Daniel Johnson, a key playmaker, is out until January with a quad issue. Sean Maguire, probably our main striker, missed the first 2 months of the season and is now out again (very injury prone) until January after yet another hamstring strain on Ireland duty.

Declan Rudd

Tom Clarke

Paul Huntington

Ben Davies

Josh Earl

Paul Gallagher

Tom Barkhuizen

Alan Browne

Brandon Barker

Lukas Nmecha

Some of the Clayton boys on here will give you a challenge on that, I guess ::P

Nice to hear from the opponents fans! 

Injuries to key players suck big time. 

One question: How do you rate Jordan Hugill and what can you tell us about him, that we maybe don't know yet? 

He used more than 500 minutes to get going for us this season, but 3 goals in the last 180 minutes helps a lot, especially when we aren't a*** the teams that scores a lot. Would be awesome if he could keep going at that rate.

Declan Rudd

Tom Clarke

Paul Huntington

Ben Davies

Josh Earl

Paul Gallagher

Tom Barkhuizen

Alan Browne

Brandon Barker

Lukas Nmecha

Some of the Clayton boys on here will give you a challenge on that, I guess ::P

Nice to hear from the opponents fans! 

Injuries to key players suck big time. 

One question: How do you rate Jordan Hugill and what can you tell us about him, that we maybe don't know yet? 

He used more than 500 minutes to get going for us this season, but 3 goals in the last 180 minutes helps a lot, especially when we aren't a*** the teams that scores a lot. Would be awesome if he could keep going at that rate.

He was good for us and we were good for him, and being bought for 25k and sold for 9.5 million shows who much he improved. Even if the West Ham move was slightly bizarre and probably agent-led, several Championship clubs had offered us loads for him.

He did divide opinion. Strikers often do. Some adored his running around like a dog all game, barging into people. Some didn't like him at all, citing his lack of natural/technical ability.

It can't be denied though that he was a seriously good outlet for us at the top of the pitch with his physical presence and running, and it brought the best out of the other forwards, whilst Hugill himself did chip in with goals.

I can see why he's taken a while to get going. He'd hardly played since January and with the big frame he has, he probably needs to be playing regularly to get into full flow.

In reality he hasn't really been properly replaced, and as I said earlier lack of investment from the owner (even just reinvestment of transfer fees brought in) has become a big problem at the club. He isn't really a footballing person tbh.

Big game for us this, oddly I feel more confident in these sort of away games, then I do when we're at home. Pulis is good at setting us up well away from home, as seen by the Brentford result. If we can get three points, that would set us up for a home game on Sat, and a win there would take us top I think. That's a great incentive.

Not the end of the world if we picked up just a point, would like to see the same team as Brentford, but maybe try someone else for Besic, who I think hasn't really done much since he's come back.

I said something similar to this on Twitter. Wing would be the man for me, but I also wouldn't be dismayed to see Saville back in. Not that I think he's done a great deal so far either, but there's clearly a reason he's been brought in, and the only way we're going to get that out of him is by playing games. He had a nice little moment on Saturday when he set up Wing with what should have been the third goal.

I am a Besic fan though, and there's always merit in keeping a winning XI, so keeping it as it is certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.

As far as the match goes, beating Brentford has, for me at least, taken a little bit of pressure off this one. I'm going, so I'd love to see us win, but wouldn't be disheartened to see us draw, with a couple of home games coming up. Preston will be full of confidence after a good win over a local rival, so we'll need to nip that in the bud early on.

I said something similar to this on Twitter. Wing would be the man for me, but I also wouldn't be dismayed to see Saville back in. Not that I think he's done a great deal so far either, but there's clearly a reason he's been brought in, and the only way we're going to get that out of him is by playing games. He had a nice little moment on Saturday when he set up Wing with what should have been the third goal.

I am a Besic fan though, and there's always merit in keeping a winning XI, so keeping it as it is certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.

As far as the match goes, beating Brentford has, for me at least, taken a little bit of pressure off this one. I'm going, so I'd love to see us win, but wouldn't be disheartened to see us draw, with a couple of home games coming up. Preston will be full of confidence after a good win over a local rival, so we'll need to nip that in the bud early on.

Yeah we had that discussion on twitter- and actually I think it merits further discussion - do you think Wing makes that pass that Besic made for Howson? That's my only worry - even on a "down" performance Besic still makes two or three moments of magic like that and I'm concerned about losing some of our only creativity.

Preston on a good run of form, almost identical with ours over the last 10 games with similar points gained. This is a great opportunity for the team to make a statement. Hugill will be desperate to keep his run going, even more so against a former team.

A flat draw with neither tream not wanting to commit. But I fancy BORO nicking a goal so I’m going for a win. It would be good if we can now kick on and pull away from others after all we know our history and what happens after Xmas, down with the decorations. Will this year be different, in some way I belive it will and if we can invest we may well see us topping the league and more attacking football.

Although I’m happy for Hugill to be playing better and getting goals. If I was the player I wouldn’t like the tone of that article. It just screams of

WE WANT SHOT OF YOU!!