oneBoro Forum

Bumping into Boro players past and present.

When I was in about 11, I went on a Boro football in the community coaching week. One of the coaches was Gary Hamilton who, if I recall correctly, had retired due to injury. I remember beating him in a race and I’m convinced that I genuinely beat him! We met a few players at the end of the week, John Hendrie, Nicky Mohan and Jimmy Phillips I think but I could be wrong. I remember thinking John Hendrie looked more like a farmer than a footballer!

Pally used to come and watch us sometimes on a sunday as his cousin was in our u14s. Around the same time mogga was mates with my mates dad and was a really nice bloke

Met Bernie at tall trees years ago and 4 of us did the whole bowing to the messiah thing (we were smashed) He played along and even offered to buy a round

Served Franck Queudrue when I was working at Virgin Megastore, he ordered the Boxset of Roots and I had to take all of his information down, so got his home address and then one day...

Not really. I did get his address but I'm not a stalker so I didn't go to see his house or anything. I did have to ring his house though to tell him his DVD was ready to be collected, I got his answerphone so left a message.

He came in a few days later and asked for me by name, we were chatting for a little bit as I processed his order, basically about Boro.

That's not the best bit of the story though. A couple of weeks later I was at Cineworld with a couple of mates (also Boro fans.) As we went up the escalator to the screen we saw Queudrue and his girlfriend (wife?) sat waiting to go into the same film as us. My two friends were like "Is that Franck Quedrue?" and were about to ask him for his autograph when he saw me, waves and said "Hello, Gavin! I am enjoying Roots!" leaving my two friends totally speechless.

Wow that was a really boring story but it was cool at the time.

Served Franck Queudrue when I was working at Virgin Megastore, he ordered the Boxset of Roots and I had to take all of his information down, so got his home address and then one day...

Not really. I did get his address but I'm not a stalker so I didn't go to see his house or anything. I did have to ring his house though to tell him his DVD was ready to be collected, I got his answerphone so left a message.

He came in a few days later and asked for me by name, we were chatting for a little bit as I processed his order, basically about Boro.

That's not the best bit of the story though. A couple of weeks later I was at Cineworld with a couple of mates (also Boro fans.) As we went up the escalator to the screen we saw Queudrue and his girlfriend (wife?) sat waiting to go into the same film as us. My two friends were like "Is that Franck Quedrue?" and were about to ask him for his autograph when he saw me, waves and said "Hello, Gavin! I am enjoying Roots!" leaving my two friends totally speechless.

Good story would have been awesome had you both conversed in French in front of your mates!

Good story would have been awesome had you both conversed in French in front of your mates!

Funny thing is I did French at GCSE level and got an A* but by the time I met him I'd pretty much forgotten everything apart from the basics :p

Tres Bon

I served mikkel beck about ten years ago in a steakhouse in Skagen in Denmark. Couldn’t bring myself to talk about Boro with him as I was sporting a black eye after being attacked the night before when I stumbled home drunk from a disco

Not 'boro but i think it was funny

Few years back my middle one was in hospital around xmas. Whole pompey squad came in to hand out pompey related prezzies. They get to the boy and offer him a t shirt, signed photos et al.

He says " Nah, you're alright"

The manager, michael appleton says to him "don't you like football mate"

He replied with " yes, love it thats why i support the mighty boro and not Portsmouth"

3 of the squad high fived him and appleton thought it was funny too before telling him what a top bloke mogga was.

Not 'boro but i think it as funny

Few years back my middle one was in hospital around xmas. Whole pompey 1squad came in to hand out pompey related preszies. They get to the boy and offer him a t shirt, signed photos et al.

He replied with " yes, love it thats why i support the mighty boro and not Portsmouth"

3 of the squad high fived him and appleton thought it was funny too before telling him what a top bloke mogga was.

That’s a great story:)

ive got a bit of a daft one too. None boro or football but ill share it.

in 1979 when i was 19  me and 5 mates went on a lads daft holiday to tenerife .

at the same time as we booked into our hotel a guy and his family also booked in and he was the absolute spit of David Vine we thought . anyway being silly and young and regularly worse for wear everytime we passed him we said alrite dave and he returned the greeting with alrite lads. being daft as we were this always caused a few titters as he wasnt in on our sense of fun ,daft as it was.

the last day of the holiday we were in the hotel bar and he came over to wish us all the best for our journey home and presented one of the lads with a signed  booklet with quite a few autographs of sporting stars that appeared with him on Sporting superstars . last laugh on him/

Few years back my middle one was in hospital around xmas. Whole pompey 1squad came in to hand out pompey related preszies. They get to the boy and offer him a t shirt, signed photos et al.

Only got reminded of it today . Now 19 he is in freemans hopsital atm. Dr on rounds today said " shame your on the adult wards, some of the Newcastle squad are in the childrens unit giving out signed shirts". Quick as a flash he just looked and said " well i do need a wash rag for my motorbike" the Dr was less impressed than the pompey boys ?

Few years back my middle one was in hospital around xmas. Whole pompey squad came in to hand out pompey related prezzies. They get to the boy and offer him a t shirt, signed photos et al.

Amazing:D

Few years back my middle one was in hospital around xmas.  Whole pompey squad came in to hand out pompey related prezzies.  They get to the boy and offer him a t shirt, signed photos et al.  

You've clearly done an excellent job bringing him up mate, top parenting  :cheese:

Hope he's ok btw and that he's back out for Xmas

Only got reminded of it today . Now 19 he is in freemans hopsital atm. Dr on rounds today said " shame your on the adult wards, some of the Newcastle squad are in the childrens unit giving out signed shirts". Quick as a flash he just looked and said " well i do need a wash rag for my motorbike" the Dr was less impressed than the pompey boys ?

Your lad should be made president of Boro :)