oneBoro Forum

George Saville - Boro's latest boo boy needs time to prove his worth

It still seems to me to be one of the more bizarre things we've done in a transfer window in signing three central midfielders this summer especially as two of them were signed on loan and Saville was signed on deadline day so we already knew we had the other two.

It still seems to me to be one of the more bizarre things we've done in a transfer window in signing three central midfielders this summer especially as two of them were signed on loan and Saville was signed on deadline day so we already knew we had the other two.

Is it anymore bizarre than us buying 3 strikers last summer to add to the 2 we already had? You'd think having wasted all this money we'd try to put a good recruitment team in place?

In fact it's even dafter when you think that by the time Saville was signed, Wing and Tav had both already played in the first team this season.

I've tried to go through the whole thought process of it all and it's difficult to get a good read on it. We signed McNair early but still tried to sign both Besic and Saville on permanent deals in the transfer window. You have to assume that having worked with him through pre-season, Pulis just didn't/doesn't rate him so at that point he still wanted a midfielder/midfielders? He worked with Besic last season so let's assume he rates him and was happy to have him back. Saville seemed to come out of nowhere, along with his teammate, but we kept pursuing him after the transfer window closed and got him on loan so somebody wanted him but was it Pulis or someone else?

Dont disagree on the comments about Saville by the way as his purchase seems odd to say the least but I think he is a better player than we have seen and its not his fault we stumped up a reported £7m for him.

It's almost like Pulis has said we need someone who can score 10 goals from Midfield (something he has parroted a few times) so the scouting team has just looked for midfielders who scored 10 goals last season and bought one...

Apart from last season Saville hasn't actually done a lot previously in his career, so to pay £7mil for him when the money needed to be spent in other areas baffles me, but to be honest it shouldn't given the clubs track record in the transfer market the last few years, we're a bit clueless.

Like the majority on here I've never heard anybody in the ground boo him so I don't know where that's coming from.

Saville wasn’t brought in instead of wingers we where trying to sign other players as well. We where close to signing Bolasie at the same time and he was reported to be going to cost us £15m. So it wasn’t Savilles price tag that stopped us signing other players it was the clubs inability to get players in.

I never said it was the price tag, I said the money needed to be spent in other areas.

so to pay £7mil for him when the money needed to be spent in other areas baffles me.

So why mention the £7m :)

He’s price tag has been used as a reason why the club didn’t fill more needed positions in the window. But the club had more funds available on top of the £7m.

If you had said why did the club bring in another midfielder when the time needed to be spent getting players in other positions I would of agreed with you.

It looks to me like a player we have been watching for a few years now became available and the clubs just signed him. Don’t think he was a pulis buy but more a player the club wanted

Apart from last season Saville hasn't actually done a lot previously in his career, so to pay £7mil for him when the money needed to be spent in other areas baffles me, but to be honest it shouldn't given the clubs track record in the transfer market the last few years, we're a bit clueless.

Like the majority on here I've never heard anybody in the ground boo him so I don't know where that's coming from.

Saville wasn’t brought in instead of wingers we where trying to sign other players as well. We where close to signing Bolasie at the same time and he was reported to be going to cost us £15m. So it wasn’t Savilles price tag that stopped us signing other players it was the clubs inability to get players in.

I never said it was the price tag, I said the money needed to be spent in other areas.

so to pay £7mil for him when the money needed to be spent in other areas baffles me.

So why mention the £7m :)

He’s price tag has been used as a reason why the club didn’t fill more needed positions in the window. But the club had more funds available on top of the £7m.

If you had said why did the club bring in another midfielder when the time needed to be spent getting players in other positions I would of agreed with you.

It looks to me like a player we have been watching for a few years now became available and the clubs just signed him. Don’t think he was a pulis buy but more a player the club wanted

We're spending £7million on a player we didn't need, I mentioned the £7million because that's what he's costing, and for a club our size that is a lot of money to waste, and before a ball was kicked this season the we all knew were we needed to strengthen which once again it hasn't been addressed.

The problem with Saville is he doesn't seem to do anything, yet he's costing us double  of what we sold Forshaw for.

Exactly its bad business by the club in my opinion, the signing didn't make sense, he's been bought in on one good season hitting 10 goals, his goal scoring prior to last season is woeful.

It's almost like Pulis has said we need someone who can score 10 goals from Midfield (something he has parroted a few times) so the scouting team has just looked for midfielders who scored 10 goals last season and bought one...

Exactly this, hard to see any different reason. Obviously he takes flak for our recruitment team being totally inept but I've seen nearly every game this season and he's useless - afraid, doesn't offer anything positive, and lacks any drive to do better. IMO anyway.

Some might call this harsh or pre-emptively judging, but the large moan when he comes on signifies that people that watch football each weekend know he ain't up to much. People mention Jonny H, who's form has picked up in some key games, but he still goes missing every 2 games. So if Saville ends up like him and we've coughed up 7m in Jan for him I'd be pressing the panic button and trying anyway we can to get out of that deal.