oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

I think we should skip the manager system

we cant afford to build a new squad to new managers everytime they quit or get fired

Better the club sits down and decide how they wanna run the club. System and all. Then all our teams can play the same and we recruit head coaches or whatever you wanna call him/her that fit that system.

Totally agree, I've been saying the same thing for ages

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Despicable thread. We have lost 3 in 24 and the manager is being called into question? Shame on you

That’s the thing though, if people were disgruntled about results/league position I’d probably think they need to give their head a wobble. But a lot of people (myself included) aren’t disgruntled about results, it’s because the football is absolutely turd.

We have 9 league wins out of 20 played which is abysmal for a top 2 challenger, I'd love to know Monk's league stats when he got the chop I think Gary Monk actually had more than 9 league wins by the time he was sacked there's a couple of weeks before we hit the parity point exactly but Pulis at best might notch an extra league win over Monk by Christmas eve which is pretty damning in itself in my opinion.

Highest paid manager in club history, highest valued squad by far in club history and all that money might have bought us an extra win over the guy a lot of us thought to be a clueless out of depth novice who played strikers on the wing I mean if we can't ask questions about what the point of the last 12 months has now I don't know what else to say...

I get we had way more defeats under Monk but in the long run is drawing at home to Rotherham, *ssing away a lead at Hull really such an improvement?

We have 9 league wins out of 20 played which is abysmal for a top 2 challenger, I'd love to know Monk's league stats when he got the chop I think Gary Monk actually had more than 9 league wins by the time he was sacked there's a couple of weeks before we hit the parity point exactly but Pulis at best might notch an extra league win over Monk by Christmas eve which is pretty damning in itself in my opinion.

Highest paid manager in club history, highest valued squad by far in club history and all that money might have bought us an extra win over the guy a lot of us thought to be a clueless out of depth novice who played strikers on the wing I mean if we can't ask questions about what the point of the last 12 months has now I don't know what else to say...

I get we had way more defeats under Monk but in the long run is drawing at home to Rotherham, *ssing away a lead at Hull really such an improvement?

was trying to find this out myself, think Monk had 10 wins in 23 when he was sacked. Not sure about points though.

As much as I don't like the playstyle, I think the blame sits squarely on the recruitment team. 5m on McNair 7m on Saville, neither good enough to play and didn't sign any of the forwards that he wanted - the bench was about 40m last night. And if we had Bolasie instead of 40yr old Downing, the game would've been different.

Do you really believe that if we'd had Bolasie yesterday then the game would have been different? I don't really see how it would have been. We were pretty deep for most of the game, that's not the fault of an individual player, that's a collective problem. I don't see how Bolasie changes that at all?

Presumably Pulis wanted some of these players? It's possible he didn't want any of them of course but we signed 3 central midfielders for a reason and I feel like it would be a major stretch to suggest that Pulis didn't want any of them?

was trying to find this out myself, think Monk had 10 wins in 23 when he was sacked. Not sure about points though.

He was sacked on 35 points I think we had more than 2 draws so I'm going to go with Monk's record was 10W 5D 8L compared to 9W 8D 3L for Pulis funnily enough on 35 points with 3 games 'in hand'.

I marvel sometimes at the way we sacked Monk on Christmas eve I mean did I think he was clueless, out of depth, naïve yes but I tell you sacking him for concerns about his 'style' then hiring Pulis in hindsight gives me a good chuckle, I mean Monk's style was run all the midfielders, full backs and anyone not named Randolph up the pitch and hope Christie's crosses were good enough otherwise we get countered and we were screwed.

I had apathy during Monk because he just lost me with the things he would do and the fact he took a defensive unit of a team and turned them into a calamity at every set piece he had a real skill for ruining defenders if you'd have told me we'd get Pulis in for best case 9 extra points at the same stage of the season I mean is the price we're paying worth it in any sense? You can argue he'll turn it around he'll go against his career history and find goals elsewhere to get us points but our set piece percentage is nowhere near his career average of 50% I think we're low 20s in percentage of our goals from set pieces the alarm bells are ringing just like they were ringing with Monk but I guess it was easy to toy with Monk on Christmas Eve the kind of dirt Pulis would leak out about transfers if he ever got sacked would be something kind of hope we do do it though just to see what Ashley Fletcher has done to him I don't know if he killed a pet of Tony's, scratched his car but it's beyond weird we don't see him for months at a time.

Think karanka was damaged goods here long before he went. The choice wasn’t just keep or get rid of karanka, it was get rid karanka or keep him and get rid of quite a few of the players. I don’t think getting rid of him was negative, it was that we replaced him with one of Steve’s old boys and that was a disaster!

As I’ve said before, let’s get a young manager in who wants to build something- like Bournemouth did with Eddie Howe

A Gary Monk type figure?

Yeah, but someone who actually knows his *** from his elbow... Actually despite Monk being one of our worst managers (in terms of stats and performances), he was probably going in the right direction. Had he not changed tactics after the first game of the season and kept the 4-3-3 he may have done ok (as he is proving at Birmingham and he did at Leeds). The problem was he lost his nerve and then kept trying to change the system to emulate AK, which was never going to work with his new signings (attacking full backs and strikers who wanted the ball to feet).

I get the feeling Woodgate is being groomed into the role post Pulis.

And he will probably be vilified by the experts on here before he even starts the job if he was to get it

I get the feeling Woodgate is being groomed into the role post Pulis.

And he will probably be vilified by the experts on here before he even starts the job if he was to get it

Well, it saves time  :upside_down:

I never wanted Pulis, but we knew exactly what we were getting, a leopard never changes its spots and Pulis is far too long in the tooth to do that.

I can't remember many games ( if any) were I've come out of the ground and thought what an enjoyable excellent performance. Its always boring, and mundane, its bloody awful to watch.

The problem is I wouldn't have any confidence in Gibbo and his entourage picking the next manager so I think we're a bit ***ed.

In the final analysis, Pulis seems to have lost the confidence of the fans (by and large) and that is reason enough to get another manager in. 

If you look more specifically, we have a pretty good defence (apart from last Saturday) but a toothless attacking force. Why is that? Britt scored 30 goals in 65 appearances for Forest, so why does he not get a start now? Martin is a Danish international who impressed at the start of the season but then wanted a move…and got dropped. Why was that? Did they not like the climate, the infrastructure? I don’t think so.

At the moment we are 5 points behind Norwich, but even then we are flattering to deceive. IMHO, we can forget promotion and we would be better off getting a young, hungry manager (not a Monk type) and rebuilding a team that can REALLY get us back into the Premier League and stay there. I do not see this happening now. We are going to slide back to mid-table.

We have to bring back the MAGIC to Boro. The sort of thing that Bryan Robson brought us. Be adventurous and creative. Bring back the FUN. I would rather see good football than to see us dourly grinding out results to get promoted and then doing the same thing to stay up.