oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Despicable thread. We have lost 3 in 24 and the manager is being called into question? Shame on you

The thread was created to discuss all things relating to our manager, these could be positive things you know....

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Think karanka was damaged goods here long before he went. The choice wasn’t just keep or get rid of karanka, it was get rid karanka or keep him and get rid of quite a few of the players. I don’t think getting rid of him was negative, it was that we replaced him with one of Steve’s old boys and that was a disaster!

As I’ve said before, let’s get a young manager in who wants to build something- like Bournemouth did with Eddie Howe

A Gary Monk type figure?

Yeah, but someone who actually knows his *** from his elbow... Actually despite Monk being one of our worst managers (in terms of stats and performances), he was probably going in the right direction. Had he not changed tactics after the first game of the season and kept the 4-3-3 he may have done ok (as he is proving at Birmingham and he did at Leeds). The problem was he lost his nerve and then kept trying to change the system to emulate AK, which was never going to work with his new signings (attacking full backs and strikers who wanted the ball to feet).

Monk was just a bad appointment by Gibson. He appointed monk and asked him to play an attacking style and monk couldn’t do it. He played a similar defensive style to karanka at Leeds and is doing the same at Birmingham.

I get the feeling Woodgate is being groomed into the role post Pulis.

I posted the same thing on here back in January and was laughed at, I'm convinced it was on the cards all along and even more so once Curtis Fleming came in. Classic Gibbo.

He will be here till the end of the season and then be gone. I don't think we will spend big in January, we can't unless we manage to sell a few players at a loss.

Far too quick to sack Monk, a young manager taking over a side that had just been relegated with a lot of new players. Any manager would have struggled to get results straight away. Things looked like they were improving and he was sacked. Just another big mistake by Gibson.

This goes further than management though, Gibson has ran this club absolutely terribly for years now. It seems that a lot of the problems Newcastle fans mention with Ashley we have with Gibson, but this never gets questioned by fans or the media.

I feel that we are going to spend most of not all of the next ten years in this league

Good thread, OP.

As I posted on the Villa thread (apologies for that, but this thread didn't exist at the time!), our last four managers have all been hounded by sections of the fans for not playing attractive attacking football. But doesn't a lot of this come down to the players? I watched the Villa game, and apart from a Besic shot, I cannot remember a single moment of innovation, skill, excitement or dynamism from any of our midfield or attacking players, in the entire match.

I know Pulis is ultra-defensive, but when we can't pass the ball five yards or run forwards without giving it away, that comes down to a lack of individual ability. We're solid in defence and absolutely **** going forwards. Same as we have been since midway through the PL season, when Ramirez threw a strop and Negredo stopped chasing lost causes.

Sacking the manager won't change the chronic lack of attacking potential in this squad. The best it'll do is reduce the inhibitions about going forwards felt by certain players, but getting rid of Karanka, Monk and Agnew was supposed to do that as well, and we're still having the same conversation.

The thing is with Tony Pulis he talks a great talk and has a canny knack of saying just what we want to hear and to me it is virtually a catch 22 situation.

I would love to see him put into practise just what he preaches but then I remember just what players we have and the lack of skill thereof.

Others have mentioned George Friend a fair bit lately and they are imo correct in stating that his recent form has been pretty naff, some ok passages of play but we have seen the best of him.

No need to discuss our midfield as I think everyone agrees that as a whole are simply not good enough to become good in defensive duties but then can switch into a strong and pacey attacking force. Something we have needed as others said we have had issues with over recent years.

To be honest I do not think coming to and signing for Boro is attractive enough for a lot of players when they consider options.

I think I have joined the ranks of those who are totally fed up with the style of football we now watch week after week and always looking like the away side

Good thread, OP.

As I posted on the Villa thread (apologies for that, but this thread didn't exist at the time!), our last four managers have all been hounded by sections of the fans for not playing attractive attacking football. But doesn't a lot of this come down to the players? I watched the Villa game, and apart from a Besic shot, I cannot remember a single moment of innovation, skill, excitement or dynamism from any of our midfield or attacking players, in the entire match.

I know Pulis is ultra-defensive, but when we can't pass the ball five yards or run forwards without giving it away, that comes down to a lack of individual ability. We're solid in defence and absolutely **** going forwards. Same as we have been since midway through the PL season, when Ramirez threw a strop and Negredo stopped chasing lost causes.

Sacking the manager won't change the chronic lack of attacking potential in this squad. The best it'll do is reduce the inhibitions about going forwards felt by certain players, but getting rid of Karanka, Monk and Agnew was supposed to do that as well, and we're still having the same conversation.

I don't buy this, I'm afraid. We have players that are good enough, they are just devoid of confidence and constrained by deeply negative tactics. Give the below XI to a half competent attacking coach like Dean Smith and he would 100% get a tune out of them before long. Plenty of technical players with pace and an obscenely strong bench for this level to boot. 

----------------Randolph-----------------

------------Shotton-Flint-Fry-------------

--Downing--------------------Tavernier--

-------Howson--Clayton--Wing--------

--------Braithwaite--Fletcher-----------

Subs: Dimi, Ayala, Besic, Britt, McNair, Saville

Well mark hughes has just been sacked by Southampton,  maybe??

Tongue firmly in cheek

Must be tempting for him all joking aside. Live's in Bournemouth etc...

Didn’t someone on here say pulis had been approached by a premiership club to see if he would be interested in the managers job?

I’ve just got 18-1 on him getting the Southampton job.

I mentioned this to a Saints colleague of mine .... Something along the lines of ... Off was his comment

I have lost all faith that Pulis can get us up and to be honest if you were an attack minded player would you want to come here and be dug out by Pulis if his tactics failed you? . The days of us chucking a few extra grand in the pot to persuade a Merson type to join us is long long gone.

As an older fan I used to complain that the young uns on here had been spoilt by the Juninho days as all we had were years of misery growing up (maybe Big jacks era aside) when a last 16 in the cup was cause for an open top bus and civic reception , but I am stating to think that they have a point. What is wrong in looking for attacking football?

I wouldnt put it past Pulis to walk in January when his "list" all refuse to come. Its sad that at this precise moment I am almost at the point of wanting that to happen. I think he will go down as the most unloved manager in recent memory as well.

With sacking any manager, there are two questions at play:

Should we sack him?

Who would we bring in?

Question 2 is far more the pertinent one, particularly when there's a promotion/relegation at stake. For example, as big a Karanka fan as I was, I thought letting him go was 100% the right decision. But when I realised that the replacement was Agnew, I'd have taken Karanka back in a heartbeat.

A common theme for our transfer targets is that we are 'not an attractive proposition', so why would that not be the case for managers?

Is Gibson still seen as a standout great chairman within the football community? I'm not sure - the funds aren't as plentiful as they once were, and if he was to sack Pulis tomorrow, that would be 3 managers in a row who he has given less than a year too, so the famous 'time and patience' possibly is a thing of the past too.

Would we have the pulling power to poach a manager as Villa have done?

With sacking any manager, there are two questions at play:

Should we sack him?

Who would we bring in?

Question 2 is far more the pertinent one, particularly when there's a promotion/relegation at stake. For example, as big a Karanka fan as I was, I thought letting him go was 100% the right decision. But when I realised that the replacement was Agnew, I'd have taken Karanka back in a heartbeat.

A common theme for our transfer targets is that we are 'not an attractive proposition', so why would that not be the case for managers?

Is Gibson still seen as a standout great chairman within the football community? I'm not sure - the funds aren't as plentiful as they once were, and if he was to sack Pulis tomorrow, that would be 3 managers in a row who he has given less than a year too, so the famous 'time and patience' possibly is a thing of the past too.

Would we have the pulling power to poach a manager as Villa have done?

Gibson doesn’t poach managers so anyone in a job is out of the running. If pulis was to leave I think Gibson would bring in someone in the same mold as pulis. My guess would be Bruce