oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

it's like you people accept all the facts as to why we're not performing, but then immediately dismiss them regarding TP... when he himself has constantly said in press conferences that he's not happy with the squad and wants to improve the EXACT areas that you people are wanting improved... but you're so simple/black & white with your views on TP that you can't - or are unwilling to - accept it.

I'd hate to have any of you on the jury if I was on trial.

I don't often post on here much because the vitriol is too much for me, personally. But I will say that Tony had a full summer to spend looking for the players in the right positions and ended up spending it in areas we were jam packed in after not being able to get the wingers he needed. And lets not forget that the reason we did everything so late was in large part down to him too, that's his method, his way of doing things, 'picking up the scraps' was his often used quote.

Based on how the summer went, the winter window won't be much better. More difficult to pick up good players as the players performing the best are happy where they are unless we're a step up in their career. And if they're performing well and a pivotal part of someone else's team, we will have to spend a good bit of money to get them. My personal vision of the January window under Pulis is the same as the summer. We try to bring in our top targets too late, they either stay where they are or go elsewhere and we continue to bemoan the squad not being good or balanced enough.

No matter where you stand on Pulis right now too, you have to say the writing is on the wall for him more than ever, whether it is fundamentally right or wrong for that to be the case, that Burton game epitomised the exact feeling of him being in charge right now.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

The biggest fan revolt was easily towards the end of Steve McClaren's run. Still to this day don't really understand why it was so bad.

lol yeah, looking back it seems ridiculous doesn't it! Won the League Cup, finished 7th in the Prem and got us to the final of the UEFA Cup.. "Yeah but I hate it when he sits back to protect a lead.."

I remember on the way to one of the European games, on the radio some fella rang in absolutely fuming saying he was turning the car around and going home with the kids because Doriva was starting. 

People just love to be outraged about something..

The biggest fan revolt was easily towards the end of Steve McClaren's run. Still to this day don't really understand why it was so bad.

I suppose it depends what you mean by fan revolt?  Do you mean when that silly get threw his season ticket at him?  That was during a 4-0 home defeat by Villa and there had been some growing frustration with us for a while as I think we'd only managed one win in the league in about 3 months.  We'd had that 7-0 gubbing at ***nal a few weeks earlier as well.  I think underlying some of it was the fact that McClaren wasn't all that liked.  He'd tried to leave to go to Leeds and Newcastle while he was here and that was never going to go down well.  It's quite telling that Gibson didn't have much good to say about him after he left and I think there were similar feelings from other people within the club.

I'd argue that Robson got more stick before he left, the fans certainly made their feelings clear at that final game against West Ham for example.  There were things during the season - someone throwing the ball from up in the West Stand and it hit him on the head and there was a lot of laughter at him throughout the ground in a game against Leicester.  The atmosphere at the Bradford home game that season where we scraped a 2-2 draw was pretty toxic as well.

Mowbray also got plenty just before he went.  Understandable given the run we'd been on throughout that entire year really from New Years Day onwards.

But if you further back you can look at the crowds in Lennie Lawrence's final season for probably an even bigger revolt than all of those.  League crowds down below 10,000 and fans openly calling for his head in the stands as well as fans sticking up for him to be fair.  Not the most pleasant time though to say the least.

it's like you people accept all the facts as to why we're not performing, but then immediately dismiss them regarding TP... when he himself has constantly said in press conferences that he's not happy with the squad and wants to improve the EXACT areas that you people are wanting improved... but you're so simple/black & white with your views on TP that you can't - or are unwilling to - accept it.

I think most people on here recognise some (maybe a lot) of the players we have simply aren't up to it. Gibson has received a lot of criticism, and rightly so. And the last few posts have been criticising other fans for having inflated expectations.

But if Tony Pulis isn't happy with the squad, why did he wait til Transfer Deadline Day to try (and fail) to solve our chronic lack of wide players, having spent the previous weeks buying several overpriced and mediocre players in positions we were already overloaded in? Why does he insist we play 4 5                     1 all the time? Why put Britt on the wing? Why constantly belittle Tavernier, who represents one of the few bright sparks in our team?

If that makes me a bad juror, so be it. I really hoped Pulis would cut out the dead wood when he joined our club and make us a team nobody wants to play. Instead, he's added more dead wood and made us a team even sodding Burton can beat. We were 90 minutes away from a two-leg semi-final against one of Europe's elite teams, and while some of the players let us down on the night, a fair amount of the blame for that diabolical defeat has to go down to Pulis's tactics, man-management and signings. Don't forget he's been here for two transfer windows, not just through the summer.

I find you guilty of impersonating being a Boro fan  :whistle:

If only I could show how much I liked something by clicking some kind of button on the site then that might be something I'd consider including on a list of things that could end up with a possible like.

It's strange, cause normally you are very good at pushing buttons  :P

If only I could show how much I liked something by clicking some kind of button on the site then that might be something I'd consider including on a list of things that could end up with a possible like.

It's strange, cause normally you are very good at pushing buttons  :P

Me?  :angel:

source.gif

Yes you're right no more jokes.  Let's get back to discussing how Jordan Hugill will fire us to promotion.

I think there is a bigger chance, you finding the like button...  :eggplant:

I'll tell you why you're wrong. The one area that people want improving is heart. We could be crap and people would half accept it if the players were giving everything they have. You know, the "run through the brick wall for the manager" thing. None of them will do this because he isn't an inspiration. In fact he has sucked the life out of the players. They don't care.

That has led to the fans wanting one other area changing....the guy in the hot seat. However, he won't accept that he should leave either because he isn't there for the good of the club. He is there for the good of himself.