oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Found an interesting post match analysis video of a West Brom game from April this year, Dominic Matteo throws in some hard truths about TP's training methods before he left WB and the failed transition under Pardew.

TP functional 6 man defensive block system meant Training was methodical and structured with emphasis on results (i.e., 40 point target) and when results don't go his way He simply doubles down and training under that atmosphere would be very functional with any element of fun and creativity removed root and stem at the training ground in favor of an effective functional Catenaccio featuring a 6 man defensive block and a 4 man attack**, (the italians won 4 world cups with it so it must work).

His constant groans about wingers are simply to get this system to work at Boro, where at west brom he had Chadli and Philipps chase long balls in behind and force a throw-in or a corner, so TP can unleash a master set-piece play from his secret Italian Set-Piece Play book that always brings in the Goals.

Knowing well that its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, don't see it going any other way than what Stoke and West Brom had to endure, and all the work that comes with the eventual rebuild once TP leaves. And here I thought the Strachan era was a one off........

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

when results don't go his way He simply doubles down and training under that atmosphere would be very functional with any element of fun and creativity removed root and stem at the training ground in favor of an effective functional Catenaccio featuring a 6 man defensive block and a 4 man attack**,

Tbh this matches exactly what a wba fan said, he said when things don’t go to plan he plays even more negative than you ever thought possible

when results don't go his way He simply doubles down and training under that atmosphere would be very functional with any element of fun and creativity removed root and stem at the training ground in favor of an effective functional Catenaccio featuring a 6 man defensive block and a 4 man attack**,

Tbh this matches exactly what a wba fan said, he said when things don’t go to plan he plays even more negative than you ever thought possible

And why would he change it has always brought him success in the PL for all those successful years (Manager of the Year) and having never been relegated and all. But sadly we have found out to our displeasure this TP success formula only works in the delicate scenario of wanting to aviod PL relegation, all be it at the cost of entertainment or  some might say 'football' but then again riches of the PL is so much more than just Football. 

That all said We seem to have overlooked/underestimated the Promotion part of the equation hoping that the second division football hadn't changed much  since TP last won promotion in 2007. I mean it worked for the Italians they've only won 4 world cups.

And why would he change it has always brought him success in the PL for all those successful years (Manager of the Year) and having never been relegated and all. But sadly we have found out to our displeasure this TP success formula only works in the delicate scenario of wanting to aviod PL relegation, all be it at the cost of entertainment or  some might say 'football' but then again riches of the PL is so much more than just Football. 

That all said We seem to have overlooked/underestimated the Promotion part of the equation hoping that the second division football hadn't changed much  since TP last won promotion in 2007. I mean it worked for the Italians they've only won 4 world cups.

George Burley and Alan Pardew won manager of the year too, Roberto De Mateo achieved promotion with West Bromwich - all playing a more entertaining brand than Pulis but would anyone have them here? I don't care what Pulis has achieved in the past - it's what he's dishing up here and to compare his style of Football with Italy - well I don't know whether to laugh or cry

If I was Gibson I'd have one eye on next summer already. If he keeps Pulis then the season ticket sales will plummet so there's going to be a business decision that will need to be made at some point.

I think that we need to finish the season on a positive note and give the fans a reason to want to come back next season. Pulis is clearly not the answer and Woodgate won't get the fans excited either. We need a manager that can get the fans engaged again.

I think this January might be the most important window the club's had in recent times, I just hope Pulis doesn't convince Gibson into some of these donkeys we've been linked with on a lot of money a week because the club will suffer for seasons to come.

Or what if Gibbo's resigned to not renewing TP's contract in the summer so he doesn't back him for anyone in Jan, we'll be in danger of finishing bottom half imo and who would want to join us come July/August.

Call me negative, call me fickle but I honestly reckon we could see another 5+ years in the doldrums if we don't handle this TP situation right. He's got to go as soon as possible and we're better off playing Tav, Wing, etc. with a few cheap loans/signings in Jan under Craig Liddle while we search for the right man who's going to take the club places over the next couple of years.

Nathan Jones could be a really astute appointment for me, won 11 of his first 21 in charge to guide Luton from relegation to an 11th placed finish. His 2nd season went up automatically as the leagues top scorers and could be seeing back to back promotions in his only 2 full managerial seasons. The best stat though is his spending, he's spent £0. Loans and Free agents only.

Girona, Getafe and Deportivo Alaves are all over achieving in La Liga, why couldn't we take a look at one of their managers. Can bring Stuani back with them.

Then you've got the likes of Mowbray/Jokanovic managers who we know what we'll be getting and with a bit of financial backing would put us in good stead for promotion.

I think this January might be the most important window the club's had in recent times, I just hope Pulis doesn't convince Gibson into some of these donkeys we've been linked with on a lot of money a week because the club will suffer for seasons to come.

Or what if Gibbo's resigned to not renewing TP's contract in the summer so he doesn't back him for anyone in Jan, we'll be in danger of finishing bottom half imo and who would want to join us come July/August.

Call me negative, call me fickle but I honestly reckon we could see another 5+ years in the doldrums if we don't handle this TP situation right. He's got to go as soon as possible and we're better off playing Tav, Wing, etc. with a few cheap loans/signings in Jan under Craig Liddle while we search for the right man who's going to take the club places over the next couple of years.

Nathan Jones could be a really astute appointment for me, won 11 of his first 21 in charge to guide Luton from relegation to an 11th placed finish. His 2nd season went up automatically as the leagues top scorers and could be seeing back to back promotions in his only 2 full managerial seasons. The best stat though is his spending, he's spent £0. Loans and Free agents only.

Girona, Getafe and Deportivo Alaves are all over achieving in La Liga, why couldn't we take a look at one of their managers. Can bring Stuani back with them.

Then you've got the likes of Mowbray/Jokanovic managers who we know what we'll be getting and with a bit of financial backing would put us in good stead for promotion.

Another 5 years in the doldrums is more likely than promotion in my opinion.

It feels like history is repeating itself at the moment: We had a young manager who was given a job too big for him - Southgate/Monk.

The experienced older head - Strachan/Pulis.

Next it will be the local ex player given the task of balancing the books and making do - Mowbray/Woodgate.

George Burley and Alan Pardew won  manager of the year too, Roberto De Mateo achieved promotion with West Bromwich - all playing a more entertaining brand than Pulis but would anyone have them here? I don't care what Pulis has achieved in the past - it's what he's dishing up here and to compare his style of Football with Italy - well I don't know whether to laugh or cry

I whole heartedly agree with you, sometimes my sarcasm gets lost in translation  :P

Good post.

You are right Pulis has found a formula throughout his career that seems to work.

It's about playing the percentages:

If you have lots of big 6 footers in your team then you are going to concede less and score more from set pieces. Having centre backs at the full back position obviously helps with that.

Pack the team with central midfielders, this protects the back 4 and adds to solidity to the team.

Work for hours and hours every day on shape when you haven't got the ball. You can see this in a game when we lose the ball everyone drops into position.

Don't commit lots of men forward so we keep our shape.

Keep the game 0-0 for as long as possible and eventually you'll get a chance from a set piece or a mistake.

This is pretty much Pulis's philosophy, its about as risk free as you can get. He doesn't feel any duty to entertain the fans or provide any spectacle worth watching, it's not about the players being happy or enjoying training either. I don't think he gives a *** what we think, when he leaves he knows he'll get another job and get paid handsomely for doing the same thing over and over again.

I would get rid, give it to Woodgate till end of the season but tell him no transfers in Jan. Try ship Braithwaite and just see where we end up. Challenge him to use this squad and get them playing without worrying about transfers.

Pulis sorta has my backing in that he is doing what is being asked (supposedly sorting behind the scenes, in top 6, supossedly reduced wage bill) but the fact he wants some ageing prime wingers, appears tactically blinkered, serves up dross and will likely unsettle our promising youths if they arent getting game time whilst performing better than those picked ahead of them makes me feel like I cant wait till the end of the season.