oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Pulis trying to take credit for the medical team haha.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think since Karanka took over we've been very good with regards to injuries. Don't really see whats got better or worse since Tony Pratliss took over. 

Hes also tried his best not to play the younger lads imo. Took Wing to be best the player on the pitch before he got games again. Tav despite being our most productive midfielder isn't getting much of a look in now, Downing has been preferred to him....

As for the transfer market, as it stands at the moment Pulis has only signed flops or at best mediocre transfers. 

All boll#cks basically.

Do you really believe our recruitment was doing a good job before pulis joined the club?

And do you believe the club was bringing enough players though the academy and into the first team before pulis too?

Not sure I said that, but the answer is no. The same as its no under Pulis as well. In fact its gotten worse. 

Karanka didn't do enough for the youth, not sure on Monk, didn't really have enough time but he did play Tav quite a bit. But again

that hasn't really changed under Pulis either so not really sure what you're trying to get across?

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Not sure, but unless you have real connections to MFC behind the scenes and the day to day runnung of the club how can the claims of Pulis be discredited ?

Just curious

If you have, who are we signing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think since Karanka took over we've been very good with regards to injuries. Don't really see whats got better or worse since Tony Pratliss took over. 

Hes also tried his best not to play the younger lads imo. Took Wing to be best the player on the pitch before he got games again. Tav despite being our most productive midfielder isn't getting much of a look in now, Downing has been preferred to him....

As for the transfer market, as it stands at the moment Pulis has only signed flops or at best mediocre transfers. 

All boll#cks basically.

Yeh we brought in that Bryan English from Chelsea under Karanka and our injury record since has been one of the best in the country.

All boll#cks basically.

Do you really believe our recruitment was doing a good job before pulis joined the club?

And do you believe the club was bringing enough players though the academy and into the first team before pulis too?

Not sure I said that, but the answer is no. The same as its no under Pulis as well. In fact its gotten worse. 

Karanka didn't do enough for the youth, not sure on Monk, didn't really have enough time but he did play Tav quite a bit. But again

that hasn't really changed under Pulis either so not really sure what you're trying to get across?

It used to be crap. Now it's crap. Only difference is previously we bought in some players that excited fans at the time (Britt, Rhodes, even gestede at the time) and in general these never worked. Now most of the signings don't enthuse the fans because we are buying crap in comparison because they are the only players who seem to know how to play the crap we serve up!!

Let's face it, the fans would go nuts if we signed Someone exciting and they were then played at rb despite the excitement being about their ability to play on the wing!!

Possibly the reason he hasn't delved to far into the youths. Everyone loves a youth player coming through. The shining lights this season seem to be tav and fry (and wing, though he didn't come through the youths). Yet he probably knows that fans want the kids to go and have fun on the pitch, and really don't like it when the manager curbs their natural flair, making them look crap.

Surely it would be the opposite Tudders, playing a winger as a right back is generally considered attacking an exciting. That wouldn't fit in with your own narrative of Pulis, so I think you maybe meant a RB as a winger?

I'm not sure you can criticise Pulis' handling of Wing, Tav and to a lesser extent Fry. They seem to be developing well, if we'd stuck them in from the off every game of the season would they have developed like they have? Sometimes keeping youth players out of the spotlight is good for their development.

Surely it would be the opposite Tudders, playing a winger as a right back is generally considered attacking an exciting. That wouldn't fit in with your own narrative of Pulis, so I think you maybe meant a RB as a winger?

I'm not sure you can criticise Pulis' handling of Wing, Tav and to a lesser extent Fry. They seem to be developing well, if we'd stuck them in from the off every game of the season would they have developed like they have? Sometimes keeping youth players out of the spotlight is good for their development.

Of course we can.

Wing was excellent at the start of the season then mysteriously dropped for ages, and as I said before has had to literally make himself the best player on the pitch before hes got a few starts.

Tav has been one of the few attacking bright spots recently, and despite Pulis being desperate (apparently) to play with pacey wingers still won't give him starts and chooses a completely useless Downing to come on ahead of him. 

Fry is arguably the best young center back in the league. Yet he continuously shoves him to RB where hes been average at best so he can accommodate some 30+ loan. Worth mentioning he shafted Fry out there right after Mcnair made by far and away his best performance from RB which is again is just baffling.   

Hes hindering their development, not helping it.

Yeah but don't you understand, Dan, by not playing Tav he is aiding his development!  And by playing Fry he is aiding his development!  But then also by sometimes playing Wing and sometimes not playing Wing he is aiding his development!  :upside_down:

This youth development thing is actually more complicated than you might think  :idea: :whistle:

Of course we can.

Wing was excellent at the start of the season then mysteriously dropped for ages, and as I said before has had to literally make himself the best player on the pitch before hes got a few starts.

Tav has been one of the few attacking bright spots recently, and despite Pulis being desperate (apparently) to play with pacey wingers still won't give him starts and chooses a completely useless Downing to come on ahead of him. 

Fry is arguably the best young center back in the league. Yet he continuously shoves him to RB where hes been average at best so he can accommodate some 30+ loan. Worth mentioning he shafted Fry out there right after Mcnair made by far and away his best performance from RB which is again is just baffling.   

Hes hindering their development, not helping it.

You do realise your accusing the manager that has giving wing/tav and fry more game time at the club than any other manger of hindering their development. All 3 have progressed under pulis.

Fry is much better at RB than McNair.

100%

Some people don't seem to grasp that just because a young player comes on and looks great in the last 15 mins of a game, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can just bang him on from the start every game and expect the same results.

There's no validity to anyone criticising how TP is bringing through Wing and Tav tbh, because they seem to be discounting the very fact that he is in fact playing them..! Everyone agree's that they're playing well and developing nicely.. but Pulis clearly doesn't have clue what he's doing, of course.

So to be absolutely clear then from some of the above posts, if a manager picks a young player, even if it's very sparingly, then he is playing him and as such it's the right thing for his development. If the manager picks a young player a lot then this is also the right thing for his development. If the manager doesn't pick a young player at all then it's also the right thing for his development. It's impossible to criticise the manager because in all situations he is doing the right thing for the young player...because...whatever the manager does is automatically correct it would appear.

So if a young player plays and plays well it's still right to not play him much in the future and indeed to play older players who aren't playing all that well. Because whatever the manager does is automatically correct and that therefore is the best thing for the player's development and the team as a whole.

This is actually quite brilliant.

What I don't get though is that in the Wizard of Oz there was only one scarecrow.

Looks like Big Tony is sorting the club out....from the Echo...

TONY PULIS claims his off-field overhaul at Middlesbrough is already paying dividends, with improvements to the club’s academy system and medical set-up showing early signs of success.

While he was appointed with the aim of securing promotion to the Premier League, Pulis was also instructed to conduct a root-and-branch assessment of Boro’s off-field activities when he was installed as Garry Monk’s successor just over a year ago.

He has instigated a number of changes in the last 12 months, with Boro’s recruitment operation having undergone a major overhaul that will hopefully bear fruit in the remaining two-and-a-half weeks of the transfer window.

As well as looking at the way his club scouts and recruits players, Pulis has also tweaked the way the academy operates, putting a greater emphasis on loaning out players and selecting promising youngsters in the early rounds of the Carabao Cup.

Nathan Wood, Djed Spence, Bilal Brahimi and Stephen Walker have all made their senior debuts this season, with Marcus Tavernier and Lewis Wing becoming established members of the first-team squad.

Pulis has also introduced some medical changes, and while Aden Flint and Ryan Shotton are currently unavailable, Boro’s injury record in the first half of the season has been extremely impressive.

Ultimately, Pulis accepts he will be judged on what happens on the pitch, but having developed a close relationship with Steve Gibson, the Boro boss is adamant he will continue to adopt a holistic approach to safeguarding the club’s development.

“I’ve never been anything but a person who’s wanted to go in and improve not just one area, but all the areas,” said Pulis. “If you look at the teams we’ve played, you’ll see how many academy players we’ve got involved and how many academy players we’ve given chances to.

“We’ve brought that much closer to us. The medical side is up and running too, and our injury record is very good. So it’s putting everything together, and then it’s also about then improving things.”

One way to improve things is signing new players, and having recruited Rajiv van La Parra from Huddersfield Town at the start of the month, Pulis remains determined to land two or three more additions before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Boro have had scouting teams scattered right across Europe in the first half of the season, but as a manager who revels in his ‘old-school’ reputation, Pulis freely admits he regards a player’s character as every bit as important as their technical talents.

“Life’s about people, and it’s about getting good players in, and players who want to be part of the football club and see the football club grow,” he said. “There’s an old saying from a very senior manager about putting foundations in place. His big thing was about characters, and having good people around in the dressing room, and then working around those good people.

“Everywhere I’ve gone, I’ve always tried to maintain that philosophy in respect of bringing in solid people, and then building your backbone through them and building a football club that will last.”

More utter ***, we've always played academy players and used the loan system improve them - our academy had always been a strong point of our club.

He's changed the medical side? How? He doesn't say what he's done - he's just made changes, so he's now a medical genius as well as a financial one, shame he's absolutely crap at football, I think he's in the wrong job, given time and resources he sounds like he could find the cure for cancer and solve Brexit.

haters gonna hate

Dreamers gonna believe any old crap that's thrown at them. I'd love to know how exactly he has implemented something medically which reduces injuries - Harry Kane and a few others must desperately want to speak to him - maybe he can't explain as he's patented it, going to look up "anti sprain" and "anti pulled hamstring" patents now and see.

It's actually funny how you all believe the Tosh he comes out with without any explanation - I guess it's just magic?

100%

Some people don't seem to grasp that just because a young player comes on and looks great in the last 15 mins of a game, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can just bang him on from the start every game and expect the same results.

There's no validity to anyone criticising how TP is bringing through Wing and Tav tbh, because they seem to be discounting the very fact that he is in fact playing them..! Everyone agree's that they're playing well and developing nicely.. but Pulis clearly doesn't have clue what he's doing, of course.

Errrmmm. Ok.

1. he is playing them because some of them are now at an age that they should be coming through. I won't have a moan at a manager not playing someone who is 16.

2. Lewis wing is 23. That's 1 year older than deli alli (the guy that plays for england). Now come back with the "yeah but he hasn't been a pro for long" crap.

He is our best player, and has been out most productive player whether only getting 15 minutes (which is absolutely stupid) or getting a full game. He should be playing every minute he is fit unless his form drops off.

But pulis is right, has always been right and always will be right. It still baffles me that man Utd haven't snapped him up yet.