oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Stumbled across this last night, it’s from last year so apologies if it’s going over all ground but it made me smile, plus a some of the poll options at the end feel relevant. :)

http://www.thehappymoaner.com/2018/09/the-reason-why-middlesborough-fc.html?m=1

WARNING: if you’re a staunch defender of pulis don’t read it, as you’ll only call it ‘childish drivel’ or something similar.

Just looked at this in the article:

They all sound so familiar

What is the worst thing about supporting a Tony Pulis team?

- He defends a 1-0 loss because the goal difference is more important than trying to draw?

- You are left to celebrate a corner like a goal?

- You are more likely to pass out from boredom than see your team make more than 1 successful pass?

- He tells the media that you deserved to win, but you didn't even have a shot on goal?

- He is the reason you first cried in front of your wife or girlfriend?

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Is everyone here that against Woodgate taking over as manager next season? I liked what I saw from the teams he put out in preseason, especially the Rochdale game we played on the front foot he's got pedigree playing at the top level of the game. If we were to hire Woody as our manager I'd certainly give him a chance.

Who would be people's preferred choice? Someone like Jakonovic could be a decent long term appointment for me but I don't think we have the players at the club to suit his style of play...

Is everyone here that against Woodgate taking over as manager next season? I liked what I saw from the teams he put out in preseason, especially the Rochdale game we played on the front foot he's got pedigree playing at the top level of the game. If we were to hire Woody as our manager I'd certainly give him a chance.

Who would be people's preferred choice? Someone like Jakonovic could be a decent long term appointment for me but I don't think we have the players at the club to suit his style of play...

I wouldn't necessarily be against Woody but with our recruitment team I think it would be difficult for him.

Jurgen Klopp, but I'm willing to give Woody a chance based on the sort of teams he played for, Leeds, used the kids, real/Spurs play good football

I'm not actually against him as I have no real idea whether he'd be any good or not.  I suspect that some people are against it because of what it seems to represent?

I'm not actually against him as I have no real idea whether he'd be any good or not.  I suspect that some people are against it because of what it seems to represent?

Yeah I agree. People seem to think he'd be handed the job because Gibson just likes cronies and yes men around him. Which could be true, but he's far more qualified than, for example, Bryan Robson was when he got the job.

Quote from Chapman

"The fact he’s brought me back shows that he’s got faith and trust in me. I hope to repay him by putting in the performances on the pitch.

He’s a great manager, probably the best I’ve worked under. I love his philosophy about football and the style of play. It suits me down to the ground and I love playing for him.

Even though my spell with the club last season was short and sweet, everything he taught me has stuck with me. I tried to take it into my football back at Middlesbrough but it didn’t quite happen for me there. Now I’m back here I hope he can teach me more of what he knows."

Says it all really!

As much as I'd rather not defend Pulis, it is just one player's opinion who wasn't really close to starting for us. Braithwaite's comments carry a bit more weight as he did actually play for us and he's an experienced guy who has been around a bit. Chapman isn't really in that category. It's a shame that he's moved on but that's because I'm a big believer in the academy lads getting a chance to prove themselves with us. I hope he goes well now but we'll see.

I can understand a manager like Pulis wanting to sell Chapman as Pulis' main focus is cutting costs and selling players that don't suit his style, so technical and injury plagued players like Chapman were always going to be within his sights to cash in on.

However, I'm very disappointed at how little faith Middlesbrough as a club have shown in Chapman to allow him to leave so easily and for such a paltry fee. I didn't think we as a club would allow someone of his talent to leave without much faith. I can understand Pulis' but I think the club should have shown more faith in him. Fair enough, Chapman probably has a bit of an ego, but he has just turned 21 so there was plenty of time for him to turn things around with a bit of right guidance. I think we're going to massively regret the decision to sell him for such a low fee of £500,000. We'll be paying clubs loan fees higher than that level for the likes of Batth, McQueen, Besic and Hugill which is just money thrown out of the window. Also, the money raised by his sale will probably only go towards signing some more defenders on loan. It's a very bad, short sighted decision that I'm sure we'll massively regret in future. Look at what half a good season in the Championship has done to Bradley Dack's reputation and value?. I've seen many reports of bids in well in advance of £12 million. If Chapman does similar then Gibson is going to be kicking himself for allowing this situation to unfold.

All the money that Gibson puts in to suport the academy to produce players of Chapman's talent only for us to sell him. It just sums up the lack of joined up thinking throughout the club. All the money Gibson puts into the academy with the aim of producing quality youth players, but then emplying a manager that plays a style that does not suit technically talented players like Chapman and then not willing to have faith in them when they hit a bad spell. I thought the club would have had far more faith in academy players of Chapman's ability. It sums up the sorry state that we're in. The club claims to support our academy but then having a manager with a short term attitude only focussed on cutting costs so that he can use the money to get us promoted this season with his failing style of football. What a disjointed mess of a club that we are at present.

To be fair, Karanka was no different. It's something I really don't understand about Gibson and his recent managerial appointments. He's committed to spending decent money on that side of the club but then appoints managers who have very little interest in it.

To be fair, Karanka was no different.  It's something I really don't understand about Gibson and his recent managerial appointments.  He's committed to spending decent money on that side of the club but then appoints managers who have very little interest in it.

well he apoint managers that are suppose the get instant results

if we want to give our kids the chance, appoint Mowbray and give him a lot of time, and we fans will have to settle being a middle table team in the champ for a while

Back in the days when we did play our youngsters, they also was a lot better than the ones we produce today.....

To be fair, Karanka was no different.  It's something I really don't understand about Gibson and his recent managerial appointments.  He's committed to spending decent money on that side of the club but then appoints managers who have very little interest in it.

well he apoint managers that are suppose the get instant results

if we want to give our kids the chance, appoint Mowbray and give him a lot of time, and we fans will have to settle being a middle table team in the champ for a while

Back in the days when we did play our youngsters, they also was a lot better than the ones we produce today.....

Were they better or did they just get more opportunities?

If he's appointing managers to get instant results then we'd have to conclude that he's failed quite badly.