oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

It’s depressing that it has to be Woodgate or Pulis. Why can’t we do a Norwich, and identify a Daniel Farke. I wouldn’t get Karanka back as think there’s a bit too much bad blood, but we did well identifying him and hiring him in 2013! We took the risk, and it paid off. It seems since then, Gibson’s become so risk averse that it hinders his decision making to the nth degree. Pulis was the ‘safe’ appointment, and it’s ripping the soul of our club.

Best news for me this summer, would be either foreign investment or the appointment of a DoF (that’s not Pulis). We need some sort of strategy going forward. Some innovative thinking. Pulis, Woodgate, Bausor, Gill, and Bevington seem like they can’t provide this.

We did identify a Farke. It was Monk. The difference is one was given time and realistic expectations and the other hounded out of the club and blamed for everything.

Farke even started this season poorly and they stuck with him, similarly to how Fulham stuck with Jokanovich last year.

Disagree Mendieta sorry... with Farke and Joakanovic there was a clear philosophy and style of play, the fans could see what the manager was trying to do. They felt it was going to take time for the tactics to sink in and some transfer windows to get their own players in.

Even now, I couldn't tell you what Monk was trying to do with us. It was a total shambles. He signed inside forwards like Braithwaite and Fletcher to play 4-3-3 then panicked and changed to a 4-2-3-1 with no recognised wingers. We couldn't defend, could barely attack, and his plan B was to throw 4 centre forwards up front. If he had stuck to a formation and style of play and it wasn't quite clicking, fans would have been a lot more patient.... but he was just throwing s*** at the wall and hoping something would stick.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

It’s depressing that it has to be Woodgate or Pulis. Why can’t we do a Norwich, and identify a Daniel Farke. I wouldn’t get Karanka back as think there’s a bit too much bad blood, but we did well identifying him and hiring him in 2013! We took the risk, and it paid off. It seems since then, Gibson’s become so risk averse that it hinders his decision making to the nth degree. Pulis was the ‘safe’ appointment, and it’s ripping the soul of our club.

Best news for me this summer, would be either foreign investment or the appointment of a DoF (that’s not Pulis). We need some sort of strategy going forward. Some innovative thinking. Pulis, Woodgate, Bausor, Gill, and Bevington seem like they can’t provide this.

We did identify a Farke. It was Monk. The difference is one was given time and realistic expectations and the other hounded out of the club and blamed for everything.

Farke even started this season poorly and they stuck with him, similarly to how Fulham stuck with Jokanovich last year.

I'll be in the minority I thought Monk was binned far too early, we weren't that far off the play off spots and had just beaten Sheff Wed, he was also taking over a team that had just been relegated. Monk was ***ing against the wind from the start in my opinion.

Think the criticisms of Monk are fair, I think he had a way of playing at Leeds which worked well, and he should have just stuck to that when he came to Boro. There was a shed load of pressure on him after Gibson’s stupid comments, so he shat the bed any flip flopped with regards to different set ups.

However, I wouldn’t have binned him at the time, and I said that then. I don’t think he’d have got us promoted that season, but I think if you hire a manager to do a job you need to give him time, and five months isn’t enough.

I think Gibson also shat the bed last season too, and that resulted with us being stuck with Pulis.

I think today's looking like that pesky final nail so besides bashing the abysmal upper management of the past 4 years might be time to get serious about who takes over and if it matters at all if Bausor and Gibson pursue the same failed policies and strategies behind the scenes.

Whatever world it is where Woodgate gets handed a 70 million pound squad I want the drugs that take you there not only is it a massive financial and professional risk/gamble it would be borderline insane to hand this hand grenade over to him. I think we need a manager with experience of managing strikers and getting the 20 goal magic number out of them that's all we really need I'm open to a lot of options myself but hopefully we get more creative that Nigel Pearson or Woodgate.

Think the criticisms of Monk are fair, I think he had a way of playing at Leeds which worked well, and he should have just stuck to that when he came to Boro. There was a shed load of pressure on him after Gibson’s stupid comments, so he shat the bed any flip flopped with regards to different set ups.

However, I wouldn’t have binned him at the time, and I said that then. I don’t think he’d have got us promoted that season, but I think if you hire a manager to do a job you need to give him time, and five months isn’t enough.

I think Gibson also shat the bed last season too, and that resulted with us being stuck with Pulis.

Monk completely lost his head though. He set us up to play 4-3-3 and as soon as Braithwaite was injured reverted to 4-5-1 with wing backs and no real width. Add to that his signings, which were mediocre and didn’t address the main issues (creativity and width), and that explains why many (including me) had littl to no sympathy for a man who basically wasted a load of the club’s cash and couldn’t adapt his vision. By the time he left we were being tactically out thought by everyone and monk was doing nothing to change it - how many goals did we concede from crosses to the far post while our film backs were out of position?

I’m all for giving a new manager time and definitely think we will need to do so next time - but monk’s failings were his own and I still think getting rid was the right decision. (The problem was made worse by who was brought in next - as otherwise we may have salvaged more from his signings).

Well i would have David Wagner over the numb nuts we have, any day of the week!

Doesn’t he play even more boring football than Pulis? Huddersfield weren’t exactly free scoring when they were promoted and it’s not like he left them in a good place. That said I’d obviously take him over Pulis.

Well i would have David Wagner over the numb nuts we have, any day of the week!

Doesn’t he play even more boring football than Pulis? Huddersfield weren’t exactly free scoring when they were promoted and it’s not like he left them in a good place. That said I’d obviously take him over Pulis.

He did play prudent football but nothing like the abysmal rubbish we have to endure. He did it with s cheap squad and got them up. Our squad is worth probably ten times what he had at Huddersfield so it’s provably fair to assume he would play more attacking football than he did there.

Pearson might just be an even worse appointment than pulis! 5 years since hes done anything half decent in football and hes a *** on top of it.

Haha. We agree on this. It would be terrible. But he’s one of the boys, isn’t he?

If we are going to be a bit more frugal in the future and Gibson is going to stop throwing his money down the drain.

What about Craig Hignett, likes attacking football and is as Boro through and through as anyone could be that isn't from this area.

Knows the club very well and has already coached here, and has bit of experience as a manager now.

He is very down to earth and not a Big Time Charlie.