oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Not against the Cowley brothers coming in but they don't play a style you'd call progressive or attractive. It's usually very direct to a target man striker (see Matt Rhead). Perhaps he's only played to the strengths of what's available to him but he's been there a number of years and attempted to change his approach. Luton have been promoted from the same leagues playing in a completely different attractive, progressive and attacking style so it's not impossible at that level.

It's been pointed out in this thread already but Cowley has said himself he plays that way because that's what's most effective for the players he has.

At this point you have to take him on face value because we dont know yet whether he can change tact if he has different players

That's all well and good but we shouldn't be going on assurances that someone could play in a more attacking style with no track record of doing so. He's been there 3 years so has had 6 transfer windows, whilst they almost definitely have limited resources, like I said he hasn't looked to bring in players to change that style, and other clubs at that level have been able to.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Latest message I have had says club have 8 potential targets that they think are viable. Trying to get names but source says club been inundated with applicants

Lol why are we all of a sudden an attractive club to manage after the trainwreck of a season we've had, playing some of the worst football known to man?

Cos the last manager was being paid a fortune to manage us?

Not against the Cowley brothers coming in but they don't play a style you'd call progressive or attractive. It's usually very direct to a target man striker (see Matt Rhead). Perhaps he's only played to the strengths of what's available to him but he's been there a number of years and attempted to change his approach. Luton have been promoted from the same leagues playing in a completely different attractive, progressive and attacking style so it's not impossible at that level.

It's been pointed out in this thread already but Cowley has said himself he plays that way because that's what's most effective for the players he has.

At this point you have to take him on face value because we dont know yet whether he can change tact if he has different players

That's all well and good but we shouldn't be going on assurances that someone could play in a more attacking style with no track record of doing so. He's been there 3 years so has had 6 transfer windows, whilst they almost definitely have limited resources, like I said he hasn't looked to bring in players to change that style, and other clubs at that level have been able to.

Do we know he hasn't been looking to? I have no idea what Lincoln's financial position is like or how much maneuverability he had in the transfer window so I couldn't really comment on why he hasn't changed the team.

At the end of the day though if he was having that much success like that with Lincoln, why rock the boat I suppose.

I agree though that we would be playing a dangerous game, taking a gamble on him on just the idea he would be more expensive.

Latest message I have had says club have 8 potential targets that they think are viable. Trying to get names but source says club been inundated with applicants

Lol why are we all of a sudden an attractive club to manage after the trainwreck of a season we've had, playing some of the worst football known to man?

I don't think many outside of Boro consider 1 point off the play-offs a trainwreck of a season. Most managers will look at 5th and  7th in two seasons and be confident that they are taking over a team that has the base of a promotion-capable side.

Another note on Pulis going, that's a massive amount off our wage bill now. Another positive.

It'll be nice not paying a manager over £3m a year to serve up drivel and spout nonsense each week.

I've been told that Phil Stamp is saying Woodgate has been given the Job- Not sure if that's been mentioned

He said a lot of things that were absolute crap before.  Always spouting on FB.

Cos the last manager was being paid a fortune to manage us?

I disagree the season has not been a train wreck, in fact sticking my neck out Pulis time in charge has given us a play off position last season and just missing out this season after being in the top 6 for the majority of time. Don't get me wrong its been awful football and glad he's gone. With the money he had we could argue we should have been fighting Autos. But the last 2 seasons were far from Train wrecks. Boltons season has been a train wreck and we don't compare to them.

Pulis contract expires summer end therefore I believe he has been paid out or on gardening leave. I also believe we will have a caretaker in place before a new manager, I hope it’s not Woodgate. SG had no option but to do what he has, the fans spoke out.

Pulis contract expires summer end therefore I believe he has been paid out or on gardening leave. I also believe we will have a caretaker in place before a new manager, I hope it’s not Woodgate. SG had no option but to do what he has, the fans spoke out.

Why would a contract run till the end of summer, that makes no sense? I read earlier it expired yesterday

Karanka's interview made it clear that he wants a project in which he will be given a few seasons to build a promotion winning squad, so maybe his high pressure intensive approach may have mellowed somewhat. If Karanka has mellowed his fiery side and can fit into Gibson's vision of wanting to give youngsters like Fry, Tavernier and Wing regular game time then his return would make more sense.

It's quite funny that the majority of our fans criticise every manager for not playing enough of our academy players and youngsters. Karanka is regularly criticised for not playing enough academy players here but it's worth noting that Ben Gibson established himself as a very high quality defender during his tenure. Reach got lots of game time which was to the annoyance of a large section of fans because he wasn't the most creative of wingers. Fry got some game time under Karanka too. That makes me confident that if they're good enough then they'll be given the chance.

We need a complete change of playing style which is a big change in itself for coaching and recruitment. In order to achieve that we will need a quite a few high quality first choice players in key positions such as RB, LW and RW just to provide us with the balance to play a more attractive style of play. There are also other areas that could be needed such as another LB and #10 too. It's sure to be a big summer ahead.