oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Sky claiming that despite Karanka wanting the job it is a none starter due to the financial position we are in. If that’s the case it rules at least Jokanovic, Hughton and Arteta out also.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

He also reckons Pulis walked and didn't want to stay. Gibson had to pay a year of his rolling contract.

What? How can a man walk and still take a further years wages? That makes no sense

Sky claiming that despite Karanka wanting the job it is a none starter due to the financial position we are in. If that’s the case it rules at least Jokanovic, Hughton and Arteta out also.

That can't possibly be true, after all:

"Over the past 18 months Tony has been proactive, not only in the ambition to win football matches and promotion to the Premier League, but also in addressing our financial position in order to comply and respect the Championship Fair Play criteria. He has ensured that the club is stable and strong for the future. He leaves us in excellent condition"

Seems like people have short memories with Karanka which ever side you're on. The Pro-Karanka lot seem to forget about how bad we were in our Prem season, and that awful winless run after January, whereas the anti-Karanka lot seem to forget about the good times he brought in the Championship.

Reality is it was somewhere in the middle. He did great for us in the Championship, but when he did get the bullet it was probably the right decision and to be fair even at the time there wasn't much opposition to that even from his biggest fans.

Karanka's interview made it clear that he wants a project in which he will be given a few seasons to build a promotion winning squad, so maybe his high pressure intensive approach may have mellowed somewhat. If Karanka has mellowed his fiery side and can fit into Gibson's vision of wanting to give youngsters like Fry, Tavernier and Wing regular game time then his return would make more sense.

It's quite funny that the majority of our fans criticise every manager for not playing enough of our academy players and youngsters. Karanka is regularly criticised for not playing enough academy players here but it's worth noting that Ben Gibson established himself as a very high quality defender during his tenure. Reach got lots of game time which was to the annoyance of a large section of fans because he wasn't the most creative of wingers. Fry got some game time under Karanka too. That makes me confident that if they're good enough then they'll be given the chance.

I think for me, the main positive about potentially re-hiring of Karanka is that he is a known quantity on and off the pitch and i think there is a lot of PR you can spin to bring the fans back round short term.

Gibson and Karanka appear to have remained close and maybe Karanka has learnt through being elsewhere how good it really is at Boro?

Also people are very quick to point out how rubbish the football was in the PL under Karanka, but I truly believe the best footballing Boro side i've seen was Karanka's play off final team.

We wouldn't need a seismic shift in personnel if Karanka came back.

People say never go back to old managers - Eddie Howe worked out alright at Bournemouth!

Mate, he had a major meltdown.  No thanks..  he was sacked..

If you get sacked for being crap at your job in any other job you would not be welcomed back with open arms

Was Karanka crap at his job?.

If a manager is sacked it does not mean he done a crap job. You're missing out the progression that we made under him before him getting the sack in the Premier League.

No I'm not missing out on anything, read my comments. karanka was great, I remember that he got us promoted. I also remember him leaving us in the crap when he couldn't cope. Why? Nobody knows. Into the PL, we were not very good were we? I'd say that makes him not having a very good time at being coach. He was sacked, it's that simple. You just don't take people back on if they were sacked. I like the bloke, great manager but you just don't hire someone you sacked. Mental.

Hi guys,

Finally managed to log in after a long extended break. Some welcome news this morning; i can finally start getting excited about next season in terms of the new manager and the good old transfer window.

Giving my personal throughts on the new manager:

From all the names that we have been linked with I strongly believe Arteta is the stand out option. This would be a major coup; he knows the country, he has learnt from the current best manager in Europe, he will have some very good contacts and he would no doubt have us playing some very decent stuff if watching City is anything to go by.

After that, it's a mixed bag. Hughton would be the safest option. He has past experience of getting teams out of this division but would he be the man to get us playing that attacking style of football?

Jokanovic, if you want free flowing football he's the man but he would demand a hefty salary, his own backroom team and there would need to be a huge turnover in players.

Karanka, I absolutely love him to bits. Supporting Boro during his tenure was the most enjoyable of times I have had supporting Boro but it seems very unlikely at this point given the latter end to his time with Boro.

Woodgate, mehhh.

But it'll be interesting to see what other names we are linked with over the coming days

It's good to be back though!

Also interesting that apparently the preseason plans are in place, I think the preseason was one of the positive things that Pulis did last summer as we got off to a flier in the league.

Random names in the betting

Tim Walter 7/2

John van den Brom 25/1

Tim Walter worked with the Bayern youth set-ups I think? He manages as German side now... Can't remember whic and can't be ***d Googling on the *** theatre WiFi...

some new quotes from Gibson. Looks like They are going to take time over this.

This is worrying. I read the piece in the Echo and it all sounds bit bizarre. 

"We grieved a little bit because we didn’t make the play-offs and we grieve because Tony has left, but we’ll be rejuvenated in a week," says Gibson. 

Who grieved because Tony left? Nobody on OneBoro, that's for sure. This makes it sound that everyone wanted Pulis to stay.

And how does "We'll be rejuvenated in a week" square with "there isn’t a timescale. The most important thing is that we get it right."

So irrespective of this timescale, which suggests that we might still be without a manager this time next year, we can expect a new manager within a week?

Surely that settles this contract rubbish ‘he signed an 18 month contract and we decided not to go forward’.

Contract was up, no rolling contracts, no pay offs.

Isn’t van den brom the alkmaar manager?

Random names in the betting

Tim Walter 7/2

John van den Brom 25/1

Tim Walter worked with the Bayern youth set-ups I think? He manages as German side now... Can't remember whic and can't be ***d Googling on the *** theatre WiFi...

Holstein Kiel

Surely that settles this contract rubbish ‘he signed an 18 month contract and we decided not to go forward’.

Contract was up, no rolling contracts, no pay offs.

Isn’t van den brom the alkmaar manager?

He is, done an amazing job there, brought some good young players through. Don't think he'd come here though..