oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Can’t wait to see who our new COACH is, apparently he’s going to take his time but the COACH won’t have long before pre season where he needs to be here COACHING

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

some new quotes from Gibson. Looks like They are going to take time over this.

This is worrying. I read the piece in the Echo and it all sounds bit bizarre. 

"We grieved a little bit because we didn’t make the play-offs and we grieve because Tony has left, but we’ll be rejuvenated in a week," says Gibson. 

Who grieved because Tony left? Nobody on OneBoro, that's for sure. This makes it sound that everyone wanted Pulis to stay.

And how does "We'll be rejuvenated in a week" square with "there isn’t a timescale. The most important thing is that we get it right."

So irrespective of this timescale, which suggests that we might still be without a manager this time next year, we can expect a new manager within a week?

That sounds to me like we wanted Pulis to stay but he decided to leave.

100% that's what hes saying. Very worrying.

Not really. You can sack someone and still be remorseful about it. And anyway, what would you expect him to say? "Thank God Pulis is gone, he was useless"? I don't think that's Gibson's style, really.

Well the fact that he seems to think pulis has done such a great job is a little bit worrying no? It kinda gives the impression that if he could have he would have continued the way the club was going and may well pick someone who can keep us along the same tracks.

Just me that thought that?

No. You'd have to seriously question the man's judgement if you already weren't doing so. I wonder if any lessons have actually been learned or not. I suppose we'll find out in due course.

"We grieved a little bit because we didn’t make the play-offs and we grieve because Tony has left, but we’ll be rejuvenated in a week," says Gibson. 

Who grieved because Tony left? Nobody on OneBoro, that's for sure. This makes it sound that everyone wanted Pulis to stay.

And how does "We'll be rejuvenated in a week" square with "there isn’t a timescale. The most important thing is that we get it right."

So irrespective of this timescale, which suggests that we might still be without a manager this time next year, we can expect a new manager within a week?

Not really. You can sack someone and still be remorseful about it. And anyway, what would you expect him to say? "Thank God Pulis is gone, he was useless"? I don't think that's Gibson's style, really.

Well the fact that he seems to think pulis has done such a great job is a little bit worrying no? It kinda gives the impression that if he could have he would have continued the way the club was going and may well pick someone who can keep us along the same tracks.

Yeah it's very worrying unless Gibson is just trying to be polite.

The isolated quote on its own could read that way. Read the full interview and it’s very clear that him staying wasn’t an option.

I certainly have not read anything in to SG comments on TP. I feel it is simply a case of SG being diplomatic and I would not expect anything less.

And if SG really thought TP had done a good job on the field he would have given him an additional year. In fact SG states following “Tony signed a contract for 18 months and the target was to get us up and that hasn’t happened so the contract has matured”. That tells you what SG thinks as far as the on field success of TP goes imo.

On the field TP failed both in terms of success and type of football. No question.

Off the field I don’t think TP done too bad. He bought in near enough £50m for the club (including sales of Forshaw and Christie) and spent £20m. I fully accept his 3 permanent signings are questionable. Nonetheless I feel Saville if played in a midfield 3 alongside Wing and a holding midfield (would like to see McNair tried there now Mikel left) I think he could score 8-10 goals. He scored 4 in 28 starts (a good 1/3rd of those starts coming at left back).

I might be alone but I still think we got a decent spine to our team - Randolph, Ayala, Fry, Wing, Sav, Howson and Britt. I feel it is out wide where we need to add. The issue for me was never the quality of players but how TP used them. A better manager can get better results from the same core players TP had imo.

I am made up he is gone as that’s half the job done. Other half is just getting a manager/coach that at the very least has us fans enjoying and believing in our team again. #UTB

I certainly have not read anything in to SG comments on TP. I feel it is simply a case of SG being diplomatic and I would not expect anything less.

And if SG really thought TP had done a good job on the field he would have given him an additional year.

I think you missed my point. What seems to be a bit of a suggestion (including on reputable journalistic platforms like talksport) is that pulis is the one who has mad the decision to leave. What I was saying is that the comments from Gibson dont refute that, in fact it seems to support that. So if pulis is the one to have walked, what would have happened if he didnt? Would his contract have been renewed? And as a back up to that are we going to appoint someone to carry on his work?

That's why I'm worried.

NB. I personally do not think TP has walked. The guy is a con man and like all con men he is a greedy tw*t who only looks after no.1. I have little doubt in my mind if he was offered a 1 year deal on the reported £2-3m a year he was getting he would have snapped SGs hands off.

Not sure if you read the case involving between TP and Crystal Palace. Have a read if you get a moment as it was very damning of how TP conducted himself.

Gibson is clearly not a football man in reality.

If we look at his appointments, I think they can be put into 3 categories (and feel free to shoot me down)

Punts (and Quite lucky) - Robson, Karanka and Mclaren. Punts because none of them were tried and tested. Bought in as big name former players or 2nds to big name managers. Robson attracted big name players, Karanka got all the fans onside with a kind-of seige mentality and Mclaren took us to our only trophy despite some awful football. All 3 united and had the fans onside.

Fan favourites - Southgate and Mowbray. Given time by the fans because they are legends of the club and fans understood that they were put in no win Situations.

Tried and tested, safe bets - Strachan and Pulis. The two times that Gibson has actually tried to use some footballing nouse he has shown that his footballing decisions are bloody awful.

I'm leaving out Agnew as he was clearly a stop gap though yet again a bloody awful appointment.

Gibson has clearly proved that he has no footballing knowledge when it comes to appointing managers. In fact, the few times that he has gained success or had the fans onside is when he has taken an unproven manager.

On this basis he clearly needs to bring in arteta (or hire someone to run the footballing side of the club to decide on the next manager)

And if SG really thought TP had done a good job on the field he would have given him an additional year.

I think you missed my point. What seems to be a bit of a suggestion (including on reputable journalistic platforms like talksport) is that pulis is the one who has mad the decision to leave. What I was saying is that the comments from Gibson dont refute that, in fact it seems to support that. So if pulis is the one to have walked, what would have happened if he didnt? Would his contract have been renewed? And as a back up to that are we going to appoint someone to carry on his work?

That's why I'm worried.

NB - it doesn’t really matter how/why he has gone, let’s just be thankful he has! The “what comes next” question does matter though. The two points from Gibson that I think are important are 1) we want to play more attacking football and 2) we want to give youth players a chance. To me, the second just confirms that we have a low budget and that Gibson is backing his instinct to play the local lads - increasing the chance of both a local manager or a manager with experience of a team (e.g. Ajax) that can bring through youth. The first is probably a PR point - if he really cared about style he would never have appointed Pulis - however, the fact that he realises that the fans are crying out for attacking football may at least influence the type of hire he makes (I.e. he realises a Bruce or big Sam appointment is unpalatable).

The other key question is whether he is going to get a deal sorted on further investment, which may explain the delays in announcing a manager. It’s quite good to be able to say to Red Bull or PSG that they can choose a manager from a list that suits their philosophy, rather than have to live for a few years with one that doesn’t.

If we look at his appointments, I think they can be put into 3 categories (and feel free to shoot me down)

Punts (and Quite lucky) - Robson, Karanka and Mclaren. Punts because none of them were tried and tested. Bought in as big name former players or 2nds to big name managers. Robson attracted big name players, Karanka got all the fans onside with a kind-of seige mentality and Mclaren took us to our only trophy despite some awful football. All 3 united and had the fans onside.

Fan favourites - Southgate and Mowbray. Given time by the fans because they are legends of the club and fans understood that they were put in no win Situations.

Tried and tested, safe bets - Strachan and Pulis. The two times that Gibson has actually tried to use some footballing nouse he has shown that his footballing decisions are bloody awful.

I'm leaving out Agnew as he was clearly a stop gap though yet again a bloody awful appointment.

Gibson has clearly proved that he has no footballing knowledge when it comes to appointing managers. In fact, the few times that he has gained success or had the fans onside is when he has taken an unproven manager.

On this basis he clearly needs to bring in arteta (or hire someone to run the footballing side of the club to decide on the next manager)

Probably the reason that Kenyon is massively involved in the recruitment process.

Probably the reason that Kenyon is massively involved in the recruitment process.

This makes me feel a bit better.

Wasn’t Karanka from kenyon and mendes? I.e the one time we actually went down a kind of DoF route we got a good manager.

Yeah, my hope for it all is that Kenyon has been getting involved again. It may only be to source investment but I doubt it.

We’ve needed a DOF for years.

Steve Round’s last role was DOF, wouldn’t surprise me if it’s him

This makes me feel a bit better.

In the run up to the 2017 General Election Steve Gibson sent a letter to all residents of the Stockton South constituency advocating the re-election of James Wharton. That told me everything about Gibson's judgement Boro related or not.