oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

I don't think the quotes make that suggestion at all to be honest. As Will said, the whole article in its entirety make it clear that Gibson made the decision that Pulis had to go.

At the end of the day, he's sacking someone he's obviously good friends with on a personal level, so he's going to talk him up.

If he thought Pulis had done a good job, he would have extended his contract. He is just doing damage control to keep the fans happy without harming his friendship with Pulis.

He didn't sack him he just didn't extend his contract and it's almost certainly because of the negative reaction of the fans rather than because Gibson didn't want him here in my opinion.  He used the word grieve, which is utterly ***ing pathetic in this context and if he really feels that way he needs to give his head a shake.  I don't think the guy has been as far removed from Boro fans as he appears to be right now.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

I don't think the quotes make that suggestion at all to be honest. As Will said, the whole article in its entirety make it clear that Gibson made the decision that Pulis had to go.

At the end of the day, he's sacking someone he's obviously good friends with on a personal level, so he's going to talk him up.

If he thought Pulis had done a good job, he would have extended his contract. He is just doing damage control to keep the fans happy without harming his friendship with Pulis.

He didn't sack him he just didn't extend his contract and it's almost certainly because of the negative reaction of the fans rather than because Gibson didn't want him here in my opinion.  He used the word grieve, which is utterly *** pathetic in this context and if he really feels that way he needs to give his head a shake.  I don't think the guy has been as far removed from Boro fans as he appears to be right now.

Yeah it was the word grieve that really made me uncomfortable with the statement. That and the fact he said "we grieve" as in the club, not just himself personally. I just dont see how you read the statement and not get the impression that Gibson thinks pulis did a good job and the conclusion that could come from that is that he will at the very least want a continuation of the job pulis did if not the man himself to stay.

It said in the article.

Pulis’ contract was up for renewal next month but it was decided not to extend it and Gibson informed him of the decision over dinner on Wednesday night in London.

If it was pulis who had decided to leave why would Gibson have to tell him he’s contract was not getting extended. He would of already knew. But I have been saying since pulis came to the club pulis was appointed because he suited the direction Gibson wanted the club to go in.

He was appointed because Gibson thought he could get the club promoted and then give us a decent chance of staying up.  Nothing to do with direction or anything else.

Edit - If Pulis had been available in the summer we'd have appointed him instead of Monk and we'd have spent good money that summer just as we did then. We may well have brought in different players but we'd have still been spending and bringing new players in.

It said in the article.

Pulis’ contract was up for renewal next month but it was decided not to extend it and Gibson informed him of the decision over dinner on Wednesday night in London.

If it was pulis who had decided to leave why would Gibson have to tell him he’s contract was not getting extended. He would of already knew. But I have been saying since pulis came to the club pulis was appointed because he suited the direction Gibson wanted the club to go in.

He was appointed because Gibson thought he could get the club promoted and then give us a decent chance of staying up.  Nothing to do with direction or anything else.

Edit - If Pulis had been available in the summer we'd have appointed him instead of Monk and we'd have spent good money that summer just as we did then.  We may well have brought in different players but we'd have still been spending and bringing new players in.

Probably on more realistic terms though.

Personally believe Gibson wanted Pulis to train up Woodgate, get us promoted and stable before Woodgate took the reigns.

I think if Woodgate DOES get the job, the fact he hasn't been announced straight away and there's been 'deliberations' about it might just be a way of making it look like the club have done their due diligence, reviewed all the candidates, and decided that Woodgate is actually the best for the job.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but if he was announced straight away there would likely be a lot of talk of 'jobs for the boys', but by leaving it a couple of weeks they might be trying to send out the message that hiring Woodgate was a well thought out appointment, based on him being 'the best candidate'.

I agree 

And could you please forward me the Woody "stories" in private message, thank u ;)

He didn't sack him he just didn't extend his contract and it's almost certainly because of the negative reaction of the fans rather than because Gibson didn't want him here in my opinion.  He used the word grieve, which is utterly *** pathetic in this context and if he really feels that way he needs to give his head a shake.  I don't think the guy has been as far removed from Boro fans as he appears to be right now.

Yeah it was the word grieve that really made me uncomfortable with the statement. That and the fact he said "we grieve" as in the club, not just himself personally. I just dont see how you read the statement and not get the impression that Gibson thinks pulis did a good job and the conclusion that could come from that is that he will at the very least want a continuation of the job pulis did if not the man himself to stay.

Gibson never says a bad word about managers when they leave. Robson even attended his own post sacking press conference if I remember. He’s super loyal. I think he’s even made up with McClaren now.

He will know Pulis has failed. He’s made the right decision. That’s all that matters.

And now he’ll try to make the next right decision. He’s set his stall out re the academy. It’s up to candidates to buy into that. Indeed that may be why Woodgate ends up getting the job. A new manager may want to bring more players he knows in.

I think Gibson will make a decision before the end of the month. He will want to start pre season with everything in place.

Someone on FMTTM mentioned Steve Round as DoF. Having his experience wouldn’t be bad.

I’m enjoying all the gossip but hope we get a decision soon.

I wonder if Swansea would go for Pulis?

Not on 75k a week they won’t... they are broke as in releasing 75% of the playing squad

Ideal appointment then with all of his book balancing skills.

balancing-stack-books-head-17670630.jpg