oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

The thing is everytime we try to cheap out on things it blows up in our faces and costs us more in the long run. As I said yesterday I believe this is what Gibson is deciding, jokanovic or woodgate, cheap or go for it. If he does go for woodgate and it goes wrong then it will be a disaster.

Could always appoint Woodgate and spend money as well.  Or, alternatively, recognise that chucking money at everything isn't necessarily the way to go.

Or alternatively recognise the manager actually is important and just chucking money at players isn’t the way to go.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

The thing is everytime we try to cheap out on things it blows up in our faces and costs us more in the long run. As I said yesterday I believe this is what Gibson is deciding, jokanovic or woodgate, cheap or go for it. If he does go for woodgate and it goes wrong then it will be a disaster.

Could always appoint Woodgate and spend money as well.  Or, alternatively, recognise that chucking money at everything isn't necessarily the way to go.

I agree with that, the boom/bust cycle that we've been on since McClaren left hasn't really worked.

The sensible option would be to look at where things have gone wrong off the pitch and put a structure in place to try and build something that will last.

Unfortunately I can't see that happening.

Or alternatively recognise the manager actually is important and just chucking money at players isn’t the way to go.

But isn't that what you're asking for here or am I misunderstanding you?  'Cheap' or 'go for it' as though those are the only two options available.

Does anybody find it odd that no tabloid newspaper (or local for that matter) have said Jokanovic was interviewed yesterday? Sky are obviously running the story and no reason to doubt them but even likes of Gazette, Echo etc are just saying "reportedly" had talks and not willing to commit to whether Jokanovic has been spoken too. None of the tabloid newspapers are running with a story about Jokanovic having been interviewed

But isn't that what you're asking for here or am I misunderstanding you?  'Cheap' or 'go for it' as though those are the only two options available.

No if Gibson agreed to the full jokanovic package it would be expensive and therefore he would be ‘going for it’. It doesn’t have to mean ‘chucking money around’, more of a ‘you get what you pay for’ situation.

I’d rather get the all round package in jokanovic (more money spent on manager/staff etc) and spend a bit less on players.

If we end up with Woodgate and it goes wrong I can see a section of the fans turning on Gibson.

Not so sure there's gonna be a time quite so bad as whilst Pulis was manager. I certainly hope not anyway.

We can fall a lot further than we were last season I would say. Imagine the football didnt improve at all and we started to struggle in the bottom 6 or so of the table on top of that

I mean in terms of fan dissatisfaction. We've been in worse positions in the league come the end of the season than we were last season and yet the consensus was that most fans have never felt so disconnected and turning on Gibson for not sacking him. Last season to me felt much worse than Southgate, Strachan, Mogga and Monk, 4 bosses who arguably did respectively worse in terms of accomplishment (in terms of league position) than Pulis has in his last season and a half.

It wasn't just the football that Pulis got under people's skins for. It felt like more than that. I say that as someone who wasn't particularly bothered by the football when we won games. I was bothered by the disconnection between fellow fans, the fans and the club, the sadness and hatred that people felt every week towards our club's 'custodian'. I've never known anything like it before as a Boro fan.

Let's not forget the sheer arrogance of giving himself a guard of honour DURING his last game for Chelsea.

How do you give yourself a guard of honour?

Surely that’s a euphemism.

Not sure, but Terry is definitely the person to know

No if Gibson agreed to the full jokanovic package it would be expensive and therefore he would be ‘going for it’. It doesn’t have to mean ‘chucking money around’, more of a ‘you get what you pay for’ situation.

I’d rather get the all round package in jokanovic (more money spent on manager/staff etc) and spend a bit less on players.

But often you don't get what you pay for, which is kinda why we are in the position we are in right now.  I take it you want Jokanovic almost regardless of what it takes?

If we end up with Woodgate and it goes wrong I can see a section of the fans turning on Gibson.

Not so sure there's gonna be a time quite so bad as whilst Pulis was manager. I certainly hope not anyway.

We can fall a lot further than we were last season I would say. Imagine the football didnt improve at all and we started to struggle in the bottom 6 or so of the table on top of that

I mean in terms of fan dissatisfaction. We've been in worse positions in the league come the end of the season than we were last season and yet the consensus was that most fans have never felt so disconnected and turning on Gibson for not sacking him. Last season to me felt much worse than Southgate, Strachan, Mogga and Monk, 4 bosses who arguably did respectively worse in terms of accomplishment (in terms of league position) than Pulis has in his last season and a half.

It wasn't just the football that Pulis got under people's skins for. It felt like more than that. I say that as someone who wasn't particularly bothered by the football when we won games. I was bothered by the disconnection between fellow fans, the fans and the club, the sadness and hatred that people felt every week towards our club's 'custodian'. I've never known anything like it before as a Boro fan.

Since McClaren we've had:

Southgate - mistake

Strachan - mistake

Mowbray - didn't turn out well

Karanka - good appointment

Agnew - mistake

Monk - mistake

Pulis - mistake.

That's 1 good appointment out of 7, sooner or later people are just gonna get fed up of Gibson making mistakes.

Don't forget there'll be a section of fans who have only seen this era and missed the glory years.

I'd never call for his head on the terraces but I have very little faith in him making the right decisions.

I think Lino’s right. I’d much much rather spend the money (if it’s the right thing to do) on a good manager, than save money on a cheap and possibly crap manager, and have more to spend on players. I know the two aren’t mutually exclusive, but Chris Wilder has shown what you can do with an average squad, and a good manager, along with Daniel Farke as well actually.

We’ve got a good squad already, just need to add to the wide positions. Full backs are usually cheap, so the expense would come with wingers, but if we get a manager who can get the best out of Tav, that’s half the battle.

If it was me, I’d spend the money on Jokanovic and his back room staff. Generate some transfer funds through selling Braithwaite. Free up some wage funds by getting rid of Braith, Downing, Mikel and recruit wisely in the wide positions. A good manager can get our squad playing, I’m convinced of it.

I think Lino’s right. I’d much much rather spend the money (if it’s the right thing to do) on a good manager, than save money on a cheap and possibly crap manager, and have more to spend on players. I know the two aren’t mutually exclusive, but Chris Wilder has shown what you can do with an average squad, and a good manager, along with Daniel Farke as well actually.

We’ve got a good squad already, just need to add to the wide positions. Full backs are usually cheap, so the expense would come with wingers, but if we get a manager who can get the best out of Tav, that’s half the battle.

If it was me, I’d spend the money on Jokanovic and his back room staff. Generate some transfer funds through selling Braithwaite. Free up some wage funds by getting rid of Braith, Downing, Mikel and recruit wisely in the wide positions. A good manager can get our squad playing, I’m convinced of it.

Would you rather appoint Jokanovic or spend the money on an experienced director of football & a new scouting team?

Would you rather appoint Jokanovic or spend the money on an experienced director of football & a new scouting team?

Depends who the manager is, it's all linked together..... A bad manager will still do crap with good players. Jokanovic is a good manager that imo is what is required more today to pull the fans together and get the team (with some additions) playing well.

Both :D

Na I know what you’re saying. Norwich did well with their recruitment team and DoF. I’m not sure how much Farke cost?

its like were being cornered into a very expensive option or a very cheap option.  if all the facts and figures are true(ish) surely the sensible option would be neither and find a middle ground. 

im not in favour of Woogate at all but also dont want us to throw money at Jokanovic if that is what it boils down to.   theres got to be someone that fits the bill that has the atributes the majority of fans wants , that wont break the bank and doesnt come with baggage from past discrepencies.