oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

So let me get this right. There are two scenarios:

a) We have no money to spend on big wage bills, either to pay a decent manager or employ decent players, so this narrows down our options to…um…one or thereabouts.

b) We do possibly have some money to spend on big wage bills but the problem is deciding whether we’re going to get a good return on that investment. Hence the shilly-shallying.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

its like were being cornered into a very expensive option or a very cheap option.  if all the facts and figures are true(ish) surely the sensible option would be neither and find a middle ground. 

im not in favour of Woogate at all but also dont want us to throw money at Jokanovic if that is what it boils down to.   theres got to be someone that fits the bill that has the atributes the majority of fans wants , that wont break the bank and doesnt come with baggage from past discrepencies.

Yeah true. I haven’t got my heart set on Jokanovic. I think he’s a very good manager who most would get behind, and has a recent track record of getting clubs promoted out of the championship, whilst playing good football.

But if he’s too expensive, then he’s too expensive. I’m not saying we should financially cripple ourselves to get him, but out of all the positions on and off the pitch that you want to spend money on, for me the manager/head coach should be the most important.

If we had to financially cripple ourselves to get him then we wouldn’t have interviewed him. Specially considering 2 people apparently priced themselves out.

Plus it’s just as easy to financially cripple yourself trying to go down the cheap route as we found out in 09 selling our best players.

I really don't think that a manager can be "too expensive". Look at Bielsa at Leeds. Their transformation has been worth the money they paid. It's all about if Gibson wants it.

At this moment I'd rather have a manager with a proven track record and plays good football and sacrifice a few signings.

We were prepared to give Pulis high wages for ***e football and questionable transfers.

It feels like a watershed moment for the club and it will signify what direction we travel in.

For me, we get him in regardless.

He may have just been doing that to see what the response was. May potentially open up a few more loopholes he was hesitant to use previously but that's just my tin foil hatting.

He may have just been doing that to see what the response was. May potentially open up a few more loopholes he was hesitant to use previously but that's just my tin foil hatting.

I think that’s exactly what he was doing and it has helped him loosen the purse strings a little bit

I think that’s exactly what he was doing and it has helped him loosen the purse strings a little bit

I really really hope you are right!

I really don't think that a manager can be "too expensive". Look at Bielsa at Leeds. Their transformation has been worth the money they paid. It's all about if Gibson wants it.

At this moment I'd rather have a manager with a proven track record and plays good football and sacrifice a few signings.

We were prepared to give Pulis high wages for *** football and questionable transfers.

It feels like a watershed moment for the club and it will signify what direction we travel in.

Has it?  They are in the same league as we are next season.

we can do as Derby

Derby reported a pre-tax profit of £14.6 million after selling their Pride Park stadium to owner Mel Morris for £80m. The club then leased back the ground, which was independently valued but on the club's books as an asset worth £41m, from a company owned by Morris.

If we had to financially cripple ourselves to get him then we wouldn’t have interviewed him. Specially considering 2 people apparently priced themselves out.

Plus it’s just as easy to financially cripple yourself trying to go down the cheap route as we found out in 09 selling our best players.

We'd accrued over £100m in debt by that point.  We didn't financially cripple ourselves because we sold some players.

Any news on Reiziger?

Still got my fingers crossed for him. Heart isn't in it for Jakanovic. I think it would be a fun short term ride but not something better five years down the line.

Woody and a decent DOF is my second choice.

We were prepared to give Pulis high wages for *** football and questionable transfers.

Has it?  They are in the same league as we are next season.

Leeds have been head and shoulders the best team in the league this season for me, apart from a bad blip towards the end and in a few games.

But my point was about how a better and more expensive manager has been worth his weight in gold in terms of transforming a team into playing good football.

Yes they're in the same league as us, but that's like saying that Pulis is as good as Bielsa because they're in the same league.

Sometimes if you pay more, you get a better outcome.

we can do as Derby

Derby reported a pre-tax profit of £14.6 million after selling their Pride Park stadium to owner Mel Morris for £80m. The club then leased back the ground, which was independently valued but on the club's books as an asset worth £41m, from a company owned by Morris.

Who owns the Riverside?