oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

2 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

Maybe I'm naive but I still can't understand what that has to do with him being manager of a club who plays a sport where 11blokes kick a ball around for 90 odd mins.

You can often tell the character of a person by the company he chooses to keep.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Just now, D.Z. said:

You can often tell the character of a person by the company he chooses to keep.

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I don't want JW to have a beer with me and be an all around good bloke. Just want him to coach and play football.

Who am I to Judge his personal life, friend circle or what he does or doesn't do in his personal life, I haven't even build an orphanage for lost ants yet neither have I earned the right to drive in the stakes based on heresay.

• Wow 1

@D.Z. is absolutely right, people can often (almost always in my experience) be judged by the company they keep. The company Woodgate keeps is the dregs of Teesside society.

@RonBoro- It's not just getting 11 guys to kick a ball around though, is it? It's man management, levels of discipline, dealing with the psychology of the job and of your players, it's being a role model to the young players coming through both on and off the pitch, it's uniting those players to create a desire to work hard for one another, create a never-say-die attitude and want to win for one another.

That's what separates the top managers from the rest. Look at the successes of managers like Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche - Jürgen Klopp at the top end of things. They all unite their squads. From what some people know about Woody, he'd not be keeping that company in his character.

Look how the fans reacted to Pulis' arrogance. Character is a massive trait in a successful football manager, like it or not. It's not simply about getting 11 guys to kick a football about. Otherwise, we might as well hire Colin Cheng to be the next Boro Boss...

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Duvel said:

This has been done to death but I think the reason some people don't want him is because of the way he has conducted himself off the pitch over the years. 

I don't think he's a very good ambassador for the club or a good role model for young players. 

I've got into some horrendous scrapes when I was younger,It didn't stop me from doing my job,If JW is given the job I will get behind him,He seems like a nice boy,Lol...Also I should imagine most of our staff & players will be on Holiday

• Like 1
Just now, Barnaby said:

I've got into some horrendous scrapes when I was younger,It didn't stop me from doing my job,If JW is given the job I will get behind him,He seems like a nice boy,Lol...Also I should imagine most of our staff & players will be on Holiday

Are you still getting into scrapes now though? 

14 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I don't want JW to have a beer with me and be an all around good bloke. Just want him to coach and play football.

Who am I to Judge his personal life, friend circle or what he does or doesn't do in his personal life, I haven't even build an orphanage for lost ants yet neither have I earned the right to drive in the stakes based on heresay.

What on earth has this got to do with anything?

6 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

@RonBoro- It's not just getting 11 guys to kick a ball around though, is it? It's man management, levels of discipline, dealing with the psychology of the job and of your players, it's being a role model to the young players coming through both on and off the pitch, it's uniting those players to create a desire to work hard for one another, create a never-say-die attitude and want to win for one another.

That's what separates the top managers from the rest. Look at the successes of managers like Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche - Jürgen Klopp at the top end of things. They all unite their squads. From what some people know about Woody, he'd not be keeping that company in his character.

Look how the fans reacted to Pulis' arrogance. Character is a massive trait in a successful football manager, like it or not. It's not simply about getting 11 guys to kick a football about. Otherwise, we might as well hire Colin Cheng to be the next Boro Boss...

Colin Cheng cant even manage his current staff that well, almost all of them smoke whilst tossing  bean sprouts in your noodles and simmer your Szechuan Chicken, and I'm ITK in this instance.

• Haha 2

There's plenty of successful managers that are deplorable human beings off the field, as long as he conducts himself correctly in a professional manner whilst he is in the job then I don't see an issue. My problem with him getting the job is more of a question of acumen than character. 

Just now, Duvel said:

I think we could give Adam Johnson a job working in the academy and some people would still find the positives. 

Heck appoint him the next Boro manager, at least he'd give the kids a go!

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Are you still getting into scrapes now though? 

Yep... I fall over woodlice now on the way home from the pub...It doesn't make me a bad person

3 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Heck appoint him the next Boro manager, at least he'd give the kids a go!

LOL

Before he came back to Boro Woodgate was working for Klopp at Liverpool scouting. He’s played for some top teams and from his Insta seems to have friends from wherever he has played. That says he manages to convince plenty of people and clubs that he is an OK kind of guy to have around and represent their club.

A few years ago Stevie G was caught on CCTV lamping a fella in a bar who looked at his pint the wrong way. And yet plenty of Boro fans and others think he is a saint.

I would suggest folk know more about Woodgate and as such think they know him better.

I personally know what Ryan Giggs got upto when he was young, always injured and dating Danni Behr and wasn’t surprised when his true colours became clear.

All I’m saying is few in football or any industry are saints. Can we leave it be on Woodgate and accept he’s not perfect but seems like someone plenty in the club are happy to have around?

Plenty on here are talking themselves into boycotting the club if he gets the job. Probably more than did so under Pulis and the latter days of AK. That’s your choice. I’ll back him and see how he gets on if he gets the job.

If it’s Jakonovic and Woody as coach or in charge of the U23’s will folk still bang on about him?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

It’s crazy how so many of you know Woodgate’s personal life ... or think you do.. maybe it’s time to take a break.

Maybe some of us do know him.