oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:
6 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

It’s crazy how so many of you know Woodgate’s personal life ... or think you do.. maybe it’s time to take a break.

Maybe some of us do know him.

Well if you do we can judge you by the company you keep. So your obviously a wrong un too ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

My big issue with appointing Woodgate isn't his off the field friendship choices (I only have hearsay to go off anyway), but his current friendships amongst the playing staff. Is he too close to some of the players and will that have an affect on his ability to be objective in his decision making?

I fear it could lead to divides in the squad down the line and for that reason I'd prefer someone with no ties or loyalty to anyone currently here.

I don't know Woodgate and he seems like he is well liked but only those within the club can decide if he can be impartial when in charge. I have no fear that Gibson will know how he spends his spare time and if he gives him the job, then any failure is on Gibson rather than Woodgate.

2 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Well if you do we can judge you by the company you keep. So your obviously a wrong un too ?

You've nailed it! 

At the end of the day we all have different morals, standards and we all have different views about what type of person we want in charge of the football club. 

Taking out personal opinions of the man, I don't think he has the brains to be a good football manager either and I think he'll be a complete disaster. 

If Gibson thinks a Woodgate appointment will unite the fans he's wrong, just read the message boards and social media. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Maybe some of us do know him. 

As in his Football acumen, management, tactics? 

or just from his Membership in the Legion of Doom.

For me it's simple. 

Jokanovic is ambitious, shows we still want to get out of the league, won 2 promotions, guaranteed attacking football and is the most popular choice by far. I would instantly renew my season ticket. I didn't renew last year because of Pulis. 

Woodgate, cheap option, lack of ambition and another jobs for boys. Has already got a massive split in opinion and he hasn't even been appointed yet. So negativity is there straight away. We have had 18 months of dross under Pulis and I want a fresh start someone new in the hotseat. Yes maybe Woodgate will play attacking football, Maddo stated on BBC tees Woody likes how Liverpool play. He just won't have a leg to stand on after a few bad results. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

@RonBoro- It's not just getting 11 guys to kick a ball around though, is it? It's man management, levels of discipline, dealing with the psychology of the job and of your players, it's being a role model to the young players coming through both on and off the pitch, it's uniting those players to create a desire to work hard for one another, create a never-say-die attitude and want to win for one another.

That's what separates the top managers from the rest. Look at the successes of managers like Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche - Jürgen Klopp at the top end of things. They all unite their squads. From what some people know about Woody, he'd not be keeping that company in his character.

Look how the fans reacted to Pulis' arrogance. Character is a massive trait in a successful football manager, like it or not. It's not simply about getting 11 guys to kick a football about. Otherwise, we might as well hire Colin Cheng to be the next Boro Boss...

I concur with almost everything you are saying mate, maybe even 10-15 years ago(Pre-Social Media where everyone has an opinion) we'd all let the Dyches and Howes prove themselves on the field before the ball is kicked.

Just bemused on how much hate this guy is getting just because he may or may not be the person we want him to be in his personal life. I would love to hear why he isnt qualified for the job based on his FOOTBALL history .

1 minute ago, RonBoro said:

I concur with almost everything you are saying mate, maybe even 10-15 years ago(Pre-Social Media where everyone has an opinion) we'd all let the Dyches and Howes prove themselves on the field before the ball is kicked.

Just bemused on how much hate this guy is getting just because he may or may not be the person we want him to be in his personal life. I would love to hear why he isnt qualified for the job based on his FOOTBALL history .

He's never managed a football club before, he was also part of the coaching team that was such a *** disaster this season.

Enough of a reason for you?

• Like 2

@RonBoro He has little/none. As a football manager, or even as an assistant/coach. And what he does have in terms of those roles is under managers I don't see as being worthy educators for what we need. He's also not the most intelligent lad in the world...

You may look at it purely as a footballing decision where morals don't matter. But, for me, morality is important in all decisions in life.

1 minute ago, D.Z. said:

He's never managed a football club before, he was also part of the coaching team that was such a *** disaster this season.

We are Boro!!!!!!!!

besides the disasters of Strachan and Pulis we have always appointed managers with no previous experience, and it didnt work out too badly for an un fashionable little club in the Northeast.

Correct me if I am wrong, JW was at Boro way before Pulisball shacked up, and if I read my news correctly everyone that was apart of Pulis's backroom staff have been let go, even CF left cause Pulis brought him in.

We are still trying to tie the JW we think we know from gossip of his personal life to the JW Football Manager who coaches and wants to represent his boy hood club  (Could this hate stem from him representing Leeds ...…I'm struggling to see what you guys are seeing)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, D.Z. said:

Apparently he was the only person on the back room staff to actually stand up to Pulis and according to you spoke his mind to Gibson about the dire management. That’s a huge positive from me and possibly why he is the only one left with a job. 

However I do agree that I’d like someone from the outside to come in. I’d probably still rather have Woody than Terry. 

It's not hate for the man. It's not wanting the risk of an entirely untested manager, with limited experience of coaching. 

We've had a couple of years of awful football.  Is it really surprising that many would prefer a manager with 2 promotions to his name, who plays decent football, over the unknown quantity that is Woodgate? 

• Like 3
Just now, Hobo said:

It's not hate for the man. It's not wanting the risk of an entirely untested manager, with limited experience of coaching. 

We've had a couple of years of awful football.  Is it really surprising that many would prefer a manager with 2 promotions to his name, who plays decent football, over the unknown quantity that is Woodgate? 

To be fair I don't think anyone on this forum wants Woodgate over Jokanovic. It's just whether Jokanovic is financially viable for us. Woodgate would be way down on my list, but if he's given the job I'll back him.

19 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

@RonBoro He has little/none. As a football manager, or even as an assistant/coach. And what he does have in terms of those roles is under managers I don't see as being worthy educators for what we need. He's also not the most intelligent lad in the world...

You may look at it purely as a footballing decision where morals don't matter. But, for me, morality is important in all decisions in life.

I humbly disagree with your view on his Football acumen. He has never been given the chance to prove himself so we can speculate on how he would get on till the cows come home. I have never met nor had the pleasure of interacting with the bloke personally so I'll save my opinion until that happens.

On the football side of things, Ideally to quell the doubts I'd have him manage the U-23s and have SJ as manager, and after a few good seasons when SJ gets picked up for a JoB/Payoff at Chelsea, we'd have an organic transition of our youth coach to head coach and help bed in the prospects from the Academy to the first team.

But if SJ doesn't end up coming I wouldn't mind sucking it up for a season or two till JW finds his feet and then challenge for promotion.

Screw getting promoted to the PL if we don't have an identity, then defend and bore the *** outta the world till we get relegated......I'm tired of this weak rinse and repeat identity of dredging the bottom to stay afloat.

• Like 4