oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

21 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

We are Boro!!!!!!!!

besides the disasters of Strachan and Pulis we have always appointed managers with no previous experience, and it didnt work out too badly for an un fashionable little club in the Northeast.

Correct me if I am wrong, JW was at Boro way before Pulisball shacked up, and if I read my news correctly everyone that was apart of Pulis's backroom staff have been let go, even CF left cause Pulis brought him in.

We are still trying to tie the JW we think we know from gossip of his personal life to the JW Football Manager who coaches and wants to represent his boy hood club  (Could this hate stem from him representing Leeds ...…I'm struggling to see what you guys are seeing)

Bryan Robson worked for years under arguably the greatest manager in modern football, Sir Alex Ferguson.

Aitor Karanka worked for many years under Jose Mourinho.

Jonathan Woodgate has worked under.....Tony Pulis.

You simply can't compare them in my eyes.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

We are Boro!!!!!!!!

besides the disasters of Strachan and Pulis we have always appointed managers with no previous experience, and it didnt work out too badly for an un fashionable little club in the Northeast.

Correct me if I am wrong, JW was at Boro way before Pulisball shacked up, and if I read my news correctly everyone that was apart of Pulis's backroom staff have been let go, even CF left cause Pulis brought him in.

We are still trying to tie the JW we think we know from gossip of his personal life to the JW Football Manager who coaches and wants to represent his boy hood club  (Could this hate stem from him representing Leeds ...…I'm struggling to see what you guys are seeing)

Only reason they worked out is because they got financially backed.

• Confused 1

I just see Woodgate as a yes man, if he stood up to Pulis then great but who's he going to run to if his own football goes bad? If we were going to gamble I would rather pick up someone from a lower or foreign league with more experience than Woodgate. He doesn't strike me as the man to bring this club back together.

If anyone would like to share those games Woodgate stories via message I would appreciate a good read. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasnt woodgate only actually gotten to trouble once, back in 2001? Yes it was terrible but he was a kid then. 

There are lots of rumours and hearsay beyond that, but personally I dont judge a person without knowing all the facts - and there doesnt appear to be very many of those involved here. "Hanging out with wrong uns" a conviction does not make.

I dont believe hes the right man for the job because I dont think he has the experience or the contacts and hasnt worked in a coaching role under a strong enough, experienced, progressive manager. But he will get my 100% backing if he does get it. 

• Like 1

I think Woodgate has plenty of contacts. He’s played for lots of teams under a lot of coaches with a lot of top players. He just likes living close to home. If he lived in Madrid we’d probably look at him differently.

From what I can gather there are loads of haters who like to suggest he’s a wrong un. But what has he actually done?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, edinboro said:

I think Woodgate has plenty of contacts. He’s played for lots of teams under a lot of coaches with a lot of top players. He just likes living close to home. If he lived in Madrid we’d probably look at him differently.

From what I can gather there are loads of haters who like to suggest he’s a wrong un. But what has he actually done?

He played with some top players but so do a hell of a lot of managers these days. The majority of managers he played for are not in the game at a significant level anymore. I just dont see where he will give us any kind of advantage in recruitment.

I don’t care about Woodgate’s private life to be honest. I care about Middlesbrough as a football club and I feel that appointing Woodgate would be another massive mistake. 

I am going to keep away from character in this assessment as I do not know him personally. But what I would say is that he does not strike me as the intelligent, professional person you would like to have managing your club. But as I said, that opinion could be completely wrong. 

On a purely footballing basis, he has absolutely no managerial experience. The coaching experience and much of the playing experience he has had has come under negative managers. So, if he does prefer a more attacking style, where has he learnt to employ this effectively? It’s been a long time since he played for Real Madrid and football has changed a lot since then.

Another important reason in my opinion is pull in the transfer market. Unfortunately, Middlesbrough aren’t a club who everyone dreams of playing for. We struggle to compete in the transfer market due to location. We used to have money that we could offer in wages to make up for that but that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. Therefore we need a manager with a bit of pulling power and links to other clubs. Our best spell in our recent history was in the Championship, under Karanka. Much of that success was due to his ability to bring in players because of his links to the Spanish national sides and Mourinho. As much as I hate Terry, and wouldn’t want him near the club, he would have massive links to Chelsea that could be tapped into. Arteta would have massive links to Arsenal and Man City. Realistically, what links would Woodgate have? Reputation wise too, players know about the way Jokanovic wants to play the game so would be attracted to the club because of that. Arteta has worked under Pep so players would assume he would manage the same way and that would be a big attraction for many players. Terry has captained Chelsea to Champions League titles and Premier League titles so has a big reputation in the English game. We all know Woodgate would have been a fantastic player had injuries not ruined his career. But his reputation in the English game, both as a player and a manager, isn’t enough to attract players to come and sign for this club.

We have a massive rebuilding job to do. Fans morale and trust for Gibson and the club is at an all time low. A sense of a ‘Jobs for the Boys’ culture has set in. Appointing Woodgate would just go to enhance this belief and the distrust for Gibson and the club would grow. I, like many others, feel that after a year of excruciating football, we need a complete change, someone from outside the club. Even if it’s only for what it signifies.

Like it or not, appointing Woodgate will not sit well with many fans. Therefore he will not be given time by the fans. As soon as we lose a few games, which will inevitably happen at some stage, the fans will turn on him, and the atmosphere in the Riverside will revert back to what it has been the last couple of months and that is no good for anyone. 

In contrast, if Jokanovic was appointed, I’m 100% certain the fans will stick behind him for a lot longer due to his past record. Is it fair that Jokanovic will be given a lot more time than Woodgate to get it right? Probably not... will it happen? Most definitely. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 8
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

He played with some top players but so do a hell of a lot of managers these days. The majority of managers he played for are not in the game at a significant level anymore. I just dont see where he will give us any kind of advantage in recruitment.

I find it odd we seem to disqualify JW's football achievements as no big deal yet in the same breath We talk up all the alternative's less than impressive Football achievements as the best case for getting the Job.

1 minute ago, RonBoro said:

I find it odd we seem to disqualify JW's football achievements as no big deal yet in the same breath We talk up all the alternative's less than impressive Football achievements as the best case for getting the Job.

Who are you talking about here?

1 minute ago, RonBoro said:

What achievements?

8 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

Are you talking about Jokanovic as 'the alternative'? Jokanovic who has twice achieved what we are trying to achieve this season? That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

I’m sorry but the reasons for not appointing Woodgate such as his intelligence etc beggars belief. Have you heard most football managers talk? They know football and that’s it. And I think Woodgate knows football.

As for his contacts, he is well connected enough to get a job scouting for Liverpool. I don’t think we need to worry on that front.

I don’t particularly think he is ready, but dear God, people are jumping to some serious conclusions about his suitability

I think the most important point is we put something in place that allows for continuity in the future. That’s where we have failed recently. Continually starting from scratch.

My guess is Gibson wants some strategic posts filling properly and not with a coaches mates. That may well be a sticking point.

So Grayson as U23 coach makes some sense. A DoF makes sense. And independent medical, analyst etc teams makes sense. Those are probably sticking points for lots of coaches. But it used to be that a manager brought one assistant and that was about it. Now they stroll from job to job with an army costing a fortune every time a change is made. That makes no sense.

I think Kenyon will make the decision and put all roles in place. Let’s see what he recommends to Gibson.

11 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

What are Woodgate’s football achievements you talk of? That he played 9 times for Real Madrid nearly 15 years ago or his 8 England caps? Woodgate had the potential to be as good as the likes of Terry. But, unfortunately, due to injuries he never realised it. But due to this, outside of Middlesbrough, he is not a massive name. People will know of him but he hasn’t done enough in the game for players to decide to move their lives and families up to Middlesbrough to play under him. 

4 minutes ago, edinboro said:

I’m sorry but the reasons for not appointing Woodgate such as his intelligence etc beggars belief. Have you heard most football managers talk? They know football and that’s it. And I think Woodgate knows football.

As for his contacts, he is well connected enough to get a job scouting for Liverpool. I don’t think we need to worry on that front.

I don’t particularly think he is ready, but dear God, people are jumping to some serious conclusions about his suitability

I think the most important point is we put something in place that allows for continuity in the future. That’s where we have failed recently. Continually starting from scratch.

My guess is Gibson wants some strategic posts filling properly and not with a coaches mates. That may well be a sticking point.

So Grayson as U23 coach makes some sense. A DoF makes sense. And independent medical, analyst etc teams makes sense. Those are probably sticking points for lots of coaches. But it used to be that a manager brought one assistant and that was about it. Now they stroll from job to job with an army costing a fortune every time a change is made. That makes no sense.

I think Kenyon will make the decision and put all roles in place. Let’s see what he recommends to Gibson.

Yes because Liverpool are going to lend us players because an ex scout is now managing us...