oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Woodgate's time on the sidelines would have given him more opportunities to learn from the coaches, analyse games tactics etc. than if he'd been playing. That's why imo so many good young coaches have had shortened playing careers

• Like 1
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Woodgate's time on the sidelines would have given him more opportunities to learn from the coaches, analyse games tactics etc. than if he'd been playing. That's why imo so many good young coaches have had shortened playing careers

Good point and Sir Bobby Robson, El Tel and Harry Redknapp werent bad to learn from.

Not particularly defensive ones either. 

I am actually quite excited at the prospect of Woodgate. Had he stayed fit John Terry wouldn’t have got an England cap IMO so has pedigree on that front. He will have learned good and bad during his time on the sidelines and has had an apprenticeship of sorts under one of the worst. 

Of all the other candidates I would have taken jokanovic as first choice but Woody is for me the next best option of those who are realistically in for the job.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Randy Sandwich said:

I said when Pulis was here I'd take playing the kids under a home grown manager all day long and I'm sticking by it. 

If it's Woodgate then so be it, it can't be as bad as what we've endured. 

UTB 

I am all for it but will Gibson stay true or will he chop n change his mind after a month or two of possibly not so good results, and will the fans stay off the managers back whilst he rebuild's.

Like you say after what we watched last season under TP then surely its worth a season of trying out youngsters from our own camp.

25 minutes ago, northern boro said:

Alan Nixon saying Boro are expected to give the job to Woodgate then pick a new backroom team to help him

Not like we couldn’t have already guessed that. 

42 minutes ago, Boro 86 said:

I am actually quite excited at the prospect of Woodgate. Had he stayed fit John Terry wouldn’t have got an England cap IMO so has pedigree on that front. He will have learned good and bad during his time on the sidelines and has had an apprenticeship of sorts under one of the worst. 

Of all the other candidates I would have taken jokanovic as first choice but Woody is for me the next best option of those who are realistically in for the job.

Whilst i am a big fan of Woodgate the defender i think to say JT would not have got a cap had Woodgate remained fit is a huge stretch.

You are seriously downplaying the credentials of possibly the best (definitley one of the best) defender the Premier Leagure era ever seen imo.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

There’s a massive difference between someone like Lampard who has won Champions League and Premier League titles and renowned as one of the best England players of his generation, and Jonathan Woodgate. And that’s without taking personalities into account

Just adding my opinion on the matter.

You mention Lampard, who when Derby signed I don't remember the rest of the Championship teams jumping over one another to sign him. Comparing their respective playing careers, Lampard is by far the better player, in terms of what he has achieved and won.

In terms of coaching/management careers, when Lampard was appointed he had zero coaching experience. He hasn't been gaining experience of coaching at Chelsea or any anywhere for that matter. Woodgate on the other hand, has experience at a big club (Liverpool) in their scouting department, and he has been involved day-to-day at a Championship (few months in the Premiership too) club since 2017. Arguably in May 2018 when Lampard was given the Derby job, he was less experienced than Woodgate was at the same time.

You then mention personalities, wasn't Lampard one of the Chelsea players that abused American tourists the day after 9/11? Yes he was, along with JT who most of us on here didn't want as a manager due to that (amongst other things) incident.

1 minute ago, northern boro said:

Current Sky Bet odds

Jonathan Woodgate 2/5

Nigel Adkins 8/1

Phil Neville 8/1

Slavisa Jokanovic 8/1

I cant help but think Adkins would be a very shrewd appointment. Not the sexy name like Jok or top ex player who has potential to become a top manager (JW and Nev) but just a clever appointment that suits us at this moment in time given what we got to play with and what we trying to do.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Jorge Simao gets the job for a club in Saudi Arabia. Was he ever in the running? I don’t think so. 

Nah I don’t think so either. Was probably just his agent putting it out there. 

10 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I cant help but think Adkins would be a very shrewd appointment. Not the sexy name like Jok or top ex player who has potential to become a top manager (JW and Nev) but just a clever appointment that suits us at this moment in time given what we got to play with and what we trying to do.

Ye, I'd be happy with Adkins, was he the manager of Southampton when they got promoted to the premier league?