• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

They are the biggest team in Rio, a city of 6,500,000 football mad people, they play at the Maracana Stadium. Ajax are a big team in a small city (860,000) in a less competitive league. People very often tend to be Eurocentric when it comes to football, but there are some massive teams in South America. 

Have you ever been to a Brazilian league game?

I’ve been to quite a few on my travels, including a Fluminense game at the Maracana. They may play at the Maracana but Queens Park play in a 50,000 seater in Hampden Park... it doesn’t make them a big team! Fluminense’s average attendance this season is below 15,000. Also, the standard of football there is truly awful, which really surprised me. Going to Brazil, the home of football, I was expecting big things. However, the football was on par of League 1/Championship standard. Obviously just my opinion though. However, let’s face it, all of the best talent in South America will move to Europe. I don’t see many moving the other way. But, having seen the standard and spectacle of football over there, there is certainly no way that you can convince me that Fluminense is anywhere near as big a club as Ajax!

13 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Do you mean the infamous ‘boro_legend’ didn’t he/she get banned off here and even fmttm haha.

wouldnt believe a word of it.

Oh is that him? I thought the name sounded familiar. ?

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Echo now reporting Round as part of the backroom team. Not heard anything for a while on that though. 

surely there no chance round will play second fiddle to woodgate. no way. Hes far beyond woody in ability and experience. DOF maybe

Just now, johnhorse said:

Apparently manager confirmed and announced in 48 hours... 

tweet from Bernie Slaven and Boro rumours... screen shot the pics bit can’t see how to attach them.

Bernie slaven was trolling with his "manager confirmed" tweet earlier today.

Just now, J.T. said:

I’ve been to quite a few on my travels, including a Fluminense game at the Maracana. They may play at the Maracana but Queens Park play in a 50,000 seater in Hampden Park... it doesn’t make them a big team! Fluminense’s average attendance this season is below 15,000. Also, the standard of football there is truly awful, which really surprised me. Going to Brazil, the home of football, I was expecting big things. However, the football was on par of League 1/Championship standard. Obviously just my opinion though. However, let’s face it, all of the best talent in South America will move to Europe. I don’t see many moving the other way. But, having seen the standard and spectacle of football over there, there is certainly no way that you can convince me that Fluminense is anywhere near as big a club as Ajax!

The level of coaching is not that great either. There is a big desire to adopt more European methods  in Brazil as the tactical side of the game is still stuck in the 80s for the most part. 

Maybe Leo was bringing some of that? Or maybe it was a low level work environment.

Fluminense are currently 15th in serie a.

3 minutes ago, johnhorse said:

Apparently manager confirmed and announced in 48 hours... 

tweet from Bernie Slaven and Boro rumours... screen shot the pics bit can’t see how to attach them.

On twitter, you tap/click the down arrow and select copy link to tweet then just paste the link into the forum

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have, I go to Brazil a lot, as my in-laws live there. Attendances tend to vary depending on who the opposition is. I’ve never been to a flu match as I’m a Flamengo fan, myself. Local Derby’s tend to be packed, so the Flu -Fla match or verses Botafogo or Vasco are always lively affairs. The biggest problem with non derby matches is that fans of other teams live so far away. It’s a massive country with no rail links. Normal people can’t afford to fly by plane every weekend to watch matches so this can kill the atmosphere and lower attendances. 

The standard of football varies very much, depending on the teams playing and you are right, there is a massive player drain from Brazil to Europe as that is where players can make their fortune. 

I don’t follow the Dutch league, I presume it to be a bit like the Scottish league with 2 decent teams. Whilst the others make up the numbers, do Ajax fill their stadium when they play the smaller Dutch sides? I have no idea. 

Maybe I’m biased, as I love Brazil and it’s passion for football.