oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Do you honestly believe that Woodgate was the best candidate for the job?

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but

The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on.

you can be angry at the club and hope everything goes tits-up, so that you can come back and tell us all how you 'told us so'

or get behind the new plan and see what happens? even then you can gleefully wait for it to fail!

• Like 10
  • Wow 1
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone get's your opinions on this...but

The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on.

you can be angry at the club and hope everything goes tits-up, so that you can come back and tell us all how you 'told us so'

or get behind the new plan and see what happens? even then you can gleefully wait for it to fail!

What’s wrong with me asking a question? Am I not allowed to ask questions and debate our new manager on a forum?

Someone posted that Woodgate was the best man for the job and I’m asking does he honestly think that? I don’t see the problem. 

I am willing to get behind Woodgate and will support him as, at the end of the day, he is managing the club I support. And I certainly don’t hope that it goes ‘tits-up’ or want it to fail. I can want it to be a success and still believe it is the wrong decision. Or is that not possible?

But I think he is there because he was cheaper than the better options and has massive links to the club, not because he is the best man for the job. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, "KM" said:

I’m sure when it was first reported it was definitely for the main job.

Wonder who is putting forward Rosenior/Round. We know Woody called Keane which he earlier confirmed but maybe the club are putting together the rest of the back room team for him? 

It was assumed he was being interviewed for the Managers role, but never confirmed. 

And as we are looking for a whole backroom team, he could have been interviewed for any of the roles

Just now, J.T. said:

What’s wrong with me asking a question? Am I not allowed to ask questions and debate our new manager on a forum?

Someone posted that Woodgate was the best man for the job and I’m asking does he honestly think that? I don’t see the problem. 

I am am willing to get behind Woodgate and will support him as, at the end of the day, he is managing the club I support. 

But it I think he is there because he was cheaper than the better options and has massive links to the club, not because he is the best man for the job. 

of course you can ask the question. glad you're on board for the new ride. 

regarding cheaper, I doubt that was the only criteria the club considered. Each candidate made their pitch based on the clubs requirements/goals. Overall they decided the new team, with Woodgate as Manager is the option to go with.

I'm sure there are cheaper managers and coaches available on the market that the club could have gone with.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

Fair enough, is that based on his past experience? Getting 2 clubs promoted on the back of playing good football?

Yes, for all of those reasons. 

Based on experience, I don't really think you can argue that Woodgate is a better candidate for the job than Jokanovic. And I don’t really think that you can argue that a good interview can make up for the vast difference in experience.

However Woodgate is a much cheaper candidate. And I suppose we will have to wait and see whether the difference in money will outweigh the difference in experience.

Let’s hope the future will prove that we have got Jokanovic’s proven ability for a lot less money!

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

In my opinion, Jokanovic. 

Apparently that just wasn’t financially possible. He was mine too but I accept that it wasn’t possible in the end. 

• Like 2

Was there actually any candidate we were likely to attract that could on paper guarantee promotion one way or another, whilst playing attacking expansive football, but on a budget, and utilising many of the players in under 23’s.

im not sure there is a candidate like that butthey were who I wanted.

now it looks like we going down the route of a manager who knows the club and players, but with a support team with a mix of old and new folk to the riverside. My big wonder at this stage is what formation, what style, what ins n outs, but that’s better than wondering if signing centre halves to cover the back 4 and packing the midfield will stop the opposition enough for us to scramble a goal and win 1 nil.

To me that’s better than saying Tony Pullis’s he’s the man, if he cannot do it no one can. Lol

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Apparently that just wasn’t financially possible. He was mine too but I accept that it wasn’t possible in the end. 

He was also my 1st choice but I understood very quickly that it doesn't make sense financially.

The idea of Woodgate, Keane and Rosenior as a young coaching set up with an experienced head like Round does excite me.

Most of the press have said Jokanovic had talks with representatives of the club but I doubt it went further than that. WBA couldn’t convince him to go there due to his financial demands so was never a real option for us. Woodgate wasn’t my first choice, I would have preferred a young German coach who I had never heard of as they seem to do well in England but I am more than happy to give Woodgate time. It is a big gamble on one hand but financially less risky for the club and that is what really counts.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I imagine if we'd hired someone like Jokanovic, it might have been different for Tudders. As it is, I think it's reasonable to be sceptical about the direction we're going in right now and I don't hold a grudge against those who choose not to go back for now. I'm sure Tudders would like nothing more than to be proven wrong, though, hopefully Woody can do just that! ?

It's not about being proved wrong. I hope he does well. I have zero idea of how he will do or how his teams will play. 

I would have renewed if we had taken Jokanovic as he has played good football, he has won promotions, he is proven and it would have shown some kind of financial commitment from the club. The kind they want us to make by buying season tickets. 

I can't do blind faith anymore. If we play well and wins games, and the club stop taking fans for granted then I will return. 

Right now though, I'm more willing to spend my Saturday afternoons and the money saved with my and on my son. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes, for all of those reasons. 

Based on experience, I don't really think you can argue that Woodgate is a better candidate for the job than Jokanovic. And I don’t really think that you can argue that a good interview can make up for the vast difference in experience.

However Woodgate is a much cheaper candidate. And I suppose we will have to wait and see whether the difference in money will outweigh the difference in experience.

Let’s hope the future will prove that we have got Jokanovic’s proven ability for a lot less money!

I'd agree with you, Jokanovic has bags of experience and more importantly has 2 promotions on his CV out of this league. His footballing philosophy and play style to achieve both those promotions was arguably some of the best football this league had seen in a while (Fulham).

I think ultimately the club had a long term agenda in mind. Hence why Woodgate has gotten the job, financially he was the better (cheaper) option and in their opinion they obviously feel he is the better candidate for imposing (enacting) this long term plan. 

That's why we are seeing previously connected people coming back to the club. As part of the clubs plan seems to be bringing people in to stay at the club, regardless of a managerial change.

On top of Jokanovic's own personal wage demands plus the staffing demands that Jokanovic wanted, it simply didn't tally up with the long term plan. Maybe they saw the risk in Jokanovic leaving or it not working out and the whole coaching set-up having to change once again and leaving us back at square one.

I'm really hoping this works out for us, as I think long term this will be an excellent strategy for us to follow. But if this doesn't work, then you have to ask the question of whether we have missed an opportunity to sign an out of work manager with a huge experience.

• Like 3