oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

McClaren is apparently an outstanding coach, just you could imagine him trying to sweet talk himself into the manager position at any opportunity.

I can’t think of any DoF options off the top of my head, the successful examples like Walsh at Leicester and the guy that helped get Huddersfield and now Norwich promoted were pretty much unheard of.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I would be interested to know what role Round was going to have. If it was just that of an experienced coach I am sure Woody will have an idea of who he would want next on his list. If it is a more strategic role then I suppose we have plenty of time to get that decision right. A coaching set up of Woodgate, Keane and Leo looks quite refreshing to me and I feel that a more positive approach will be harnessed with their positive personalities.w

There would certainly be passion in that coaching set up that much can be said for sure. Be interesting to see what other names get linked now that it's said Round and rosenior are out. 

15 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Think he would be a good appointment as coach. Although i can fully see why any new manager would not want the most successful manager of the same club to then become part of his coaching team

Yes I think he would be a great appointment  too. It’s well known that he’s an excellent coach, knows the club and area, could be an excellent tutor for Woody. 

I’m not sure a ‘tutor’ would be good for woodgate at this point, he has to have his plan and stick to it. Constantly having someone to talk it over with and end up second guessing yourself won’t help.

3 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I’m not sure a ‘tutor’ would be good for woodgate at this point, he has to have his plan and stick to it. Constantly having someone to talk it over with and end up second guessing yourself won’t help.

Agree fully with that. He has sold his vision to the club and he needs to implement it with his team. He will learn as he goes on. He will make mistakes but if he believes in what he is doing he needs support rather than tutoring. 

24 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Agree fully with that. He has sold his vision to the club and he needs to implement it with his team. He will learn as he goes on. He will make mistakes but if he believes in what he is doing he needs support rather than tutoring. 

Not sure tutoring was the right word maybe guidance? I’m sure that would have been in Round’s remit too if he was joining the coaching set up?

He just needs people that compliment him, if woodgate is a good coach but not a great tactician then he needs someone who can fill in where he lacks.

Didnt Ferguson rarely take training himself and preferred to employ top coaches he thought would do a better job.

He needs to recognise his skills and use them and recognise where he falls short and be humble enough to let someone better do handle whatever that is.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

From memory, Gibson doesn't have too high of an opinion of McClaren unless this has changed now.

I remembered that to so quickly Googled and found an article which had some pretty scalding comments within it:

In Gibson's initial interview he had said that McClaren's desire to leave the club when positions at Leeds, Chelsea and Newcastle became available caused friction.

He said: "We're friendly enough now, we shake hands when we meet but he's never been back since he left and he's not on my Christmas card list. And we never want to get into that situation again, I don't want a guy who is always thinking about the next rung on the ladder.

"If Steve McClaren said to me the grass is green, I would go out and check. He can be charming but he had this streak of ambition that was absolutely bloody ruthless and you can't go through life always trying to achieve your ambitions at the expense of others."

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/2329069/Boro-chairman-apologises-to-Steve-McClaren.html

Edited by p_mards

Danny Coyne was apparently Shrewbury caretaker manager for a month Nov-Dec 2018 and they won 5 out of 6 games, might offer more than just GK coach.