oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Nobody wanted Woodgate appointed as Head Coach/Manager and the only thing that has changed is that Gibson appointed the person that nobody wanted appointed and now people are more optimistic.  That's the bit I don't understand.  I think I was one of the few who said he'd prefer Woodgate over many of the candidates mentioned but even I'm struggling to see how people can go from trashing Gibson at the mere suggestion of Woodgate being appointed to suddenly being not just ok with it but kinda optimistic and in some cases even excited.

They have just been suckered in by the dreams, ideas, Keane and Leo. I don’t feel as down about JW as I did before because at least he is going to try to do what we all want to see and it might happen who knows.

im not getting optimistic until the season starts and we see what squad we have and how his team can play. 

Weve heard all these words before and it’s rarely came off, all youth teams playing the same is just standard stuff and should have been implemented anyway, also will have little affect if were 1-0 down away to barnsley in the 85th minute, which at the end of the day is where things matter.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

They have just been suckered in by the dreams, ideas, Keane and Leo. I don’t feel as down about JW as I did before because at least he is going to try to do what we all want to see and it might happen who knows.

im not getting optimistic until the season starts and we see what squad we have and how his team can play. 

Weve heard all these words before and it’s rarely came off, all youth teams playing the same is just standard stuff and should have been implemented anyway, also will have little affect if were 1-0 down away to barnsley in the 85th minute, which at the end of the day is where things matter.

But I don't think we have heard words to quite this extreme before - Gibson and co have made it very clear there's an integral ethos behind the scenes changing at this club, and to my recollection he's never said anything like this before. 

5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

People are starting to get excited because they like the things the club are saying. We all know actions speak louder than words, but Woodgate has conducted himself brilliantly since being hired and has said all the right things so is it wrong for people to maybe feel a little optimism?

Nothing has changed from the point where nobody wanted him.  You're saying that all that needed to happen was a press conference to completely change people's opinions?  Have you ever heard a press conference for the unveiling of a new manager that wasn't positive and designed to create optimism?  I bet there were people on here saying the same things after Pulis did his.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

But I don't think we have heard words to quite this extreme before - Gibson and co have made it very clear there's an integral ethos behind the scenes changing at this club, and to my recollection he's never said anything like this before. 

Of course he has.  Variations on a theme but we've had the academy centred ethos in the past for one thing and then we sold half of them like Morrison and Cattermole!  I'm not telling people not to be optimistic, I'm simply asking what has changed from the point where nobody wanted him to where we are now?  If you're saying it's all down to one press conference then doesn't that seem at least a bit odd to you?  I mean even just a little?

Just now, Changing Times said:

Of course he has.  Variations on a theme but we've had the academy centred ethos in the past for one thing and then we sold half of them like Morrison and Cattermole!  I'm not telling people not to be optimistic, I'm simply asking what has changed from the point where nobody wanted him to where we are now?  If you're saying it's all down to one press conference then doesn't that seem at least a bit odd to you?  I mean even just a little?

Why does everything have to be so complicated with you? He wasn't peoples first choice. He's hired, we can't change that, his press conference was impressive, people liked what he had to say. So yes, one press conference can alter things.

Also, I don't even remember people being like "literally anyone but woodgate" now being "Woodgate is awesome, I love it". If there are, go find me some because I'm not sure I believe you. I've seen a lot of "woodgate wasn't my first choice and I was hesitant but I liked what I heard so I'm on board for the ride" which is totally different. This forum is a bunch of different people. It might just be that before the hiring the Anti-Woodgate people were more vocal and after the hiring the pro-optimism people are more vocal. 

“It will be suits all the way,” he said. “It sends out a message.” He is a man determined to mark out his new territory and be taken seriously. “And I want to be open with you lot and with the fans,” he pledged. “I want to be transparent.”

He offered to show us the presentation that so impressed Gibson and with outlined his high-press and quick passing tactical approach.

For example, this statement - obviously we need to see it happening but I think you have to be cold hearted and a little bit dead inside if this doesn't even raise a little bit of optimism in you.

17 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Nothing has changed from the point where nobody wanted him.  You're saying that all that needed to happen was a press conference to completely change people's opinions?  Have you ever heard a press conference for the unveiling of a new manager that wasn't positive and designed to create optimism?  I bet there were people on here saying the same things after Pulis did his.

From my personal opinion only of course. My main concerns prior to the appointment about woody, was that its a big job to overhaul  a playing style and ideally this would be done by an experienced manager who's done this before. I was optimistic initially when dutch managers etc.. we being touted, but these all seemed to fall by the wayside or were never really in the running anyway. Jokanovic, the more I looked in to it seemed to be an expensive manager that would need an expensive budget to overhaul the systems and does he really align with this direction that we're trying to achieve?

If we are trying to build this from our own grass roots up, then surely the coach that's managed at all those levels will be vital in its structure?

All that said and done it was still Keane that swung it for me. He was always an intelligent player that used his brain to supplement his technical abilities. I can only see benefits of him being in the mix with the youth teams and our current strikers.

I'm positive, without an aweful lot of logic, but I'm still hoping with the links of other coaches that have falled by the wayside, that an experienced DoF or coach will come in to the setup soon to bolster the backroom staff.

• Like 1

I was dead against Woodgate, mainly because of his perceived persona of being a wrong'un (some of which he deserves and some of which he doesn't) and because I would rather have had an experienced manager with a proven record of getting clubs out of this league.

What turned it round for me was a combination of things: resignation that it would be Woodgate after Jokanovic turned our wage package down, to the rumour that Woodgate would be working under a director of football so wouldn't have as much say in transfers, to the appointment of Robbie Keane which honestly, i'm very excited about. I've been hearing good things about how Keane persuaded Randolph to stay at Boro (yes i'm a total Randolph fanboy, i'm not ashamed to admit it.)

I'm not all super excited that Woodgate is going to instantly turn the club around and we're going to be playing exciting, Liverpool-esque attacking football straightaway, but I am optimistic about the future and particularly some of the younger players who were overlooked by Pulis.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It was slightly different in that the entire hierarchy were there and it felt like a big event, all the coaching staff as well - very much a reset and here we all are. Monk and Pulis didn’t even have Gibson there at their introductory press conference.   

34 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Why does everything have to be so complicated with you? He wasn't peoples first choice. He's hired, we can't change that, his press conference was impressive, people liked what he had to say. So yes, one press conference can alter things.

Also, I don't even remember people being like "literally anyone but woodgate" now being "Woodgate is awesome, I love it". If there are, go find me some because I'm not sure I believe you. I've seen a lot of "woodgate wasn't my first choice and I was hesitant but I liked what I heard so I'm on board for the ride" which is totally different. This forum is a bunch of different people. It might just be that before the hiring the Anti-Woodgate people were more vocal and after the hiring the pro-optimism people are more vocal. 

Lol, what's complicated about it?  Nobody wanted him and now people are quite optimistic.  That's all I'm saying, it's not complicated at all.  If you seriously don't remember it being anyone but Woodgate then I think you're either lying to me or to yourself.  Just about any name that got mentioned was preferred to Woodgate - Jokanovic, Stendel, Reiziger, Van Bronckhorst, even Karanka ffs!  I think there were one or two who actually said if it was a choice between Pulis and Woodgate then we may as well stick with Pulis!  I can remember one or two who seemed quite pro Woodgate - Mendieta who also wanted people ahead of him but defended him several times and estonpidge I think who seemed quite enthusiastic about it.  If you think I'm going to trawl through 600 pages of a forum to find posts critical of Woodgate then you're out of your mind.  You've been reading and contributing to this thread over the past 6 weeks so you know fine well what I'm talking about as does everyone else even if we're clearly at the acting dumb stage.

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Lol, what's complicated about it?  Nobody wanted him and now people are quite optimistic.  That's all I'm saying, it's not complicated at all.  If you seriously don't remember it being anyone but Woodgate then I think you're either lying to me or to yourself.  Just about any name that got mentioned was preferred to Woodgate - Jokanovic, Stendel, Reiziger, Van Bronckhorst, even Karanka ffs!  I think there were one or two who actually said if it was a choice between Pulis and Woodgate then we may as well stick with Pulis!  I can remember one or two who seemed quite pro Woodgate - Mendieta who also wanted people ahead of him but defended him several times and estonpidge I think who seemed quite enthusiastic about it.  If you think I'm going to trawl through 600 pages of a forum to find posts critical of Woodgate then you're out of your mind.  You've been reading and contributing to this thread over the past 6 weeks so you know fine well what I'm talking about as does everyone else even if we're clearly at the acting dumb stage.

By different people at different times. We're not one big collective consciousness here CT 

So essentially, after reading the other posts above, what actually changed were the parameters each of you were setting for what you wanted Boro to do?  You basically went from not wanting Woodgate to accepting him because other candidates weren't an option, thus by a process of elimination leaving Woodgate as the last man standing? 

Going back to the post I replied to earlier that couldn't understand the doom mongers, is it possible that people who haven't changed their parameters in the same way as some of you therefore don't feel optimistic about the appointment?  

Didn't want Woodgate, still don't particularly want Woodgate but there's not really much point in moaning now. It's happened and he now has a group of decent coaches behind him. Keane is very well regarded, Leo has plenty of experience behind him and Coyne is off the back of a decent coaching spell at Shrewsbury where his spell as caretaker seen him win 5 of 6.

The noises made from the club are positive, new philosophy with fast attacking football. We have some money to spend and we'll hopefully get rid of the dead wood. 

Would I have preferred someone proven and exciting after the *** we've dealt with? *** yes. Is this as bad as we could have got? No. 

Slightly more optimistic. Not overly. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

So essentially, after reading the other posts above, what actually changed were the parameters each of you were setting for what you wanted Boro to do?  You basically went from not wanting Woodgate to accepting him because other candidates weren't an option, thus by a process of elimination leaving Woodgate as the last man standing? 

Going back to the post I replied to earlier that couldn't understand the doom mongers, is it possible that people who haven't changed their parameters in the same way as some of you therefore don't feel optimistic about the appointment?  

But that's how life works mate, you adapt your parameters when needed, staying steadfast is just pigheaded and stubborn. What the *** is the point in being salty and upset and "doom mongering" over the appointment now it's happened? Surely the sensible thing to do is get behind the club and try and pick out the silver linings where you see them, which is all I see people here doing.

• Like 2