oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

By different people at different times. We're not one big collective consciousness here CT 

I didn't say we were but that doesn't alter the facts of what I've said.  Why don't you go and find people who had Woodgate as their first choice or even in the top 3 or 5 to make it easier.  Woodgate was an option that very few people were willing to give the time of day to.  There were jokes on the forum about the meltdown that would occur on here if it ended up being him.  Am I really on my own in seeing a massive shift on this forum and this thread in particular simply on the back of a press conference?  If I am I'll shut up about it and won't mention it again.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

Just now, Changing Times said:

I didn't say we were but that doesn't alter the facts of what I've said.  Why don't you go and find people who had Woodgate as their first choice or even in the top 3 or 5 to make it easier.  Woodgate was an option that very few people were willing to give the time of day to.  There were jokes on the forum about the meltdown that would occur on here if it ended up being him.  Am I really on my own in seeing a massive shift on this forum and this thread in particular simply on the back of a press conference?  If I am I'll shut up about it and won't mention it again.

I think you are, yes.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

But that's how life works mate, you adapt your parameters when needed, staying steadfast is just pigheaded and stubborn. What the *** is the point in being salty and upset and "doom mongering" over the appointment now it's happened? Surely the sensible thing to do is get behind the club and try and pick out the silver linings where you see them, which is all I see people here doing.

That's totally fine like I said but very few people on here get to criticise others who aren't happy with the appointment because they also didn't want him is what I'm getting at and a press conference alone isn't going to change some people's minds.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

That's totally fine like I said but very few people on here get to criticise others who aren't happy with the appointment because they also didn't want him is what I'm getting at and a press conference alone isn't going to change some people's minds.

People are welcome to be unhappy with the appointment, sure.

The only criticism I've seen on here is when people call it "the worst managerial signing ever" and things like that, because that's just so dramatically over the top. I think people calling him the 2nd coming of Pep/Klopp and the best managerial signing ever would get similar criticism. 

Plenty of people in here have said they wouldn't have picked him but now it's done they'll get behind the club, which IMO is the sensible route to take.

• Like 1
On 6/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, nunthorpered said:

Hearing its not Woodgate

On 6/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, Brunners said:

???????

Very enthusiastic there mate.  Perhaps you were praying that he was wrong ?

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Very enthusiastic there mate.  Perhaps you were praying that he was wrong ?

I don't really get your point.

Didn't have you as one to cherry pick CT, pretty disappointed tbh.

If you check my very next post after that one, where I said:

On 6/6/2019 at 2:29 PM, Brunners said:

No, you're right

I'm actually not as against woodgate as my post made it look, I just am impatient and want an answer!

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

So essentially, after reading the other posts above, what actually changed were the parameters each of you were setting for what you wanted Boro to do?  You basically went from not wanting Woodgate to accepting him because other candidates weren't an option, thus by a process of elimination leaving Woodgate as the last man standing? 

Going back to the post I replied to earlier that couldn't understand the doom mongers, is it possible that people who haven't changed their parameters in the same way as some of you therefore don't feel optimistic about the appointment?  

What @Brunners has said below sums up how I feel. I didn't want Woodgate but I was happy if he did get it to give him a chance. What has filled me with optimism the most is the fact that Woodgate seems to be spearheading a huge overarching change in the way we do things at this club.

What I don't understand about the doom mongers is they have made very valid points and complained about how as a club we have operated in the past decade and more. Then when we see the club seemingly trying to change that, it is still viewed as the worse thing in the world. 

(Brunners post below).

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

But I don't think we have heard words to quite this extreme before - Gibson and co have made it very clear there's an integral ethos behind the scenes changing at this club, and to my recollection he's never said anything like this before. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I don't really get your point.

Didn't have you as one to cherry pick CT, pretty disappointed tbh.

If you check my very next post after that one, where I said:

You don't get my point?  Really?  Your next post was in reply to when I said let's wait and see who it is first, it wasn't a climb down from the first post, it was about the possibility of it being someone even worse than Woodgate.  'I'm not actually as against Woodgate' isn't a ringing endorsement is it?  You're acting like you have no idea what I'm talking about when you quite clearly felt the same way about appointing him yourself.  That was all of 9 days ago so maybe you just can't remember that far back.

This conversation -

CT - I dont know why you changed your stance

Everyone else - because of these reasons

CT - your reasons are wrong, you're not allowed to interpret things differently than I do. 

Why ask for reasons if you're simply not going to accept them?

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You don't get my point?  Really?  Your next post was in reply to when I said let's wait and see who it is first, it wasn't a climb down from the first post, it was about the possibility of it being someone even worse than Woodgate.  'I'm not actually as against Woodgate' isn't a ringing endorsement is it?  You're acting like you have no idea what I'm talking about when you quite clearly felt the same way about appointing him yourself.  That was all of 9 days ago so maybe you just can't remember that far back.

Dude all you've done is highlight exactly what I'm saying people are doing. 

He wasn't most of our first choice - I wasn't super against him, but he wasn't my first choice. I have never tried to claim otherwise.

I'm a functioning adult with the ability to be swayed when presented with new evidence. Now he's hired and I've heard him talk and heard what the club want to do I'm happy to let him have a go and bring a bit of excitement back into my footballing world. 

I don't even know what you're arguing about anymore, as far as I can tell you're arguing just for the sake of it - which I suppose is totally in character for you. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Thank you.  What do you think of the appointment mate?

Wouldn’t have been my first choice, I’m willing to get behind him though and he is saying all the right things. We will see. I am more optimistic that at any time in the last 18 months.