oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

9 hours ago, AdamBoro said:

Anther rubbish appointment from Steven. No experience not proven wants to do it on the cheap again. Did he not learn from Southgoat who destroyed Boro and still haven't recovered. Sad times ahead Im afraid. 

He's not appointing Southgoat, and his tenure was a lot better to watch than some of the more so called experienced managers we've had. So dont suppose the club will be too overly bothered if your not apart of the sad times ahead.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, 2plus2 said:

So we've had a lot of hints about Woodgate's preferred style, trust in youth etc etc. But do we have an inkling yet on his preferred formation?

I am inclined to say it will still be 4.3.3. But with intention of the full backs being more attacking than under TP

18 minutes ago, 2plus2 said:

So we've had a lot of hints about Woodgate's preferred style, trust in youth etc etc. But do we have an inkling yet on his preferred formation?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Liverpool like 433 but I guess we won't really know until pre season!

8 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Nothing has changed from the point where nobody wanted him.  You're saying that all that needed to happen was a press conference to completely change people's opinions?  Have you ever heard a press conference for the unveiling of a new manager that wasn't positive and designed to create optimism?  I bet there were people on here saying the same things after Pulis did his.

It has though, he's got the job.

I suppose it's like if you want pizza for tea, but everyone else decides they want Chinese. You can either sit and sulk looking at photos of pizzas, or just get over it and enjoy your sweet & sour chicken.

I've kind of held off on giving my opinion on Woodgate, largely because I don't have one. I wanted Jokanovic because he has a track record of getting teams promoted. I wouldn't have been completely against Karanka for the same reason (though I never thought that was likely). 

I wasn't overly concerned about Woodgate being part of Pulis' regime, as obviously being a coach under someone else is very different to being Head Coach. I am concerned about his lack of experience, and nothing he says in a press conference makes any difference to that. But having said that, obviously Ferguson, Guardiola, Shankly etc were all new managers at one point. I'm not saying Woodgate will ever be anywhere near that level, but we don't know how good he will be until the season starts.

To be quite honest, as a generally positive fan, it's just nice to be optimistic about something again after one of the worst years of following football I've ever had. Until we line up with 5 centre backs and Gestede and Downing up front on the first day of the season, anyway.

• Like 6
On 1/27/2019 at 2:31 PM, OldManGravz said:

I wouldn't mind trying Woodgate, he wouldn't be my numero uno choice but if he was appointed I wouldn't be averse to it. As Tom said, he's trained our youth groups, he's scouted, he's worked with the first team... He's played under some amazing managers in some quite frankly ridiculous teams.

He also took charge of that 5-0 win against Hartlepool in pre-season. I know it's only Pools but we ran that game start to finish. We played plenty of youngsters - Chapman, Mahmutovic, Fry, Tav, Wing, Wood. Fletcher and Britt both started UP FRONT. Not one on the wing.

Woodgate could also read a game like nobody else I've ever watched on a football pitch. I think he has a real eye for it.

I think I get what CT has been talking about, even if the mood shift is a bit less pronounced than he is making out.

I was disappointed myself when Woody was announced, but I've had a bit of time to calm down, watched the press conference and been mildly impressed at what's been said - although they have to follow through with what they've been saying or it's all for nought.

Then I remembered the above post I wrote back in January, and I realised that I was never really against getting Woody in in the first place!

I think as names like Jokanovic, Reizeger, Stendel, even getting Karanka back, got dangled in front of my eyes, I was sort of taken in by having someone with a bit of experience, or another fancy foreigner taking the helm, and Woodgate sort of seemed like a meh choice because of that.

That doesn't mean that I can't be optimistic about the future, now I've had time to think about it and come around to ths fact that, well I would have been quite happy with Woody 6 months ago so I don't see why I wouldn't be now. Maybe there are others on the forum like that?

• Like 1

My twopence worth is yes I was not in favour of Woodgate I wanted experience not another Learner. But he is there now Gibson will do his own thing as always and the only plus sign I can see is that we have Keane a forward thinking coach who I feel will have a great input in the style we are about to see next season. And come October if Gibson starts having one of his annual hissy fits and sacks Woodgate then Keane can hopefully step in. In the meantime time "Don't Worry,Be Happy."

Agree with most of what you say MM. Sounds like woody has fallen in love with jergen klopp and wants to have his babies. No bad thing. Exciting 6 month experiment going to happen and I hope it works. I'm still slightly concerned there is no DoF, and little clarity about who is identifying the new players. But for the next 6 months at least it's an enthusiastic UTB and looking forward to the fixtures coming out. 

The most important factor about this appointment is that the club have bought themselves time. 

Do you think we are now in a 3 year project? Or have the players we have good enough to go up this season with a bit of tweaking?

We have a good squad to begin. Our goalkeeper and striker are both outstanding. Plus a gritty spine. There's plenty for Woodgate to work with, with a few additions.

Edited by 2plus2
2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

The most important factor about this appointment is that the club have bought themselves time. 

Do you think we are now in a 3 year project? Or have the players we have good enough to go up this season with a bit of tweaking?

Personally I think it's a multi year project. The way SG spoke about this in his press conference I get the impression he thinks it will be too 

I don't know why but I just feel more positive than others about Woodgate's appointment, I like the fact we have an ex striker(and a quality one at that) as one of our coaching staff that's a big positive, plus we haven't got a bad squad, Wing & Tavernier will come into their own.

A mate of mine was at one of those Boro dinner do's and was  talking to Woodgate about Nathan Wood, Woodgate said a better player than he was at his age, he's got the full package he's that good,  

• Like 1