oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

So if they'd appointed him as the Head Coach you'd have been ok with it as long as he said positive things because skills are transferable and you'd be willing to see how it played out?  I doubt it somehow so what makes this any different?  His PR background is no more transferable to that than this.  If you're talking about his role with England then again I'll say that he wasn't helping to choose the England squad so why should he be helping to choose ours?   His role is to help put the people in place with the expertise to make those decisions, not to have a part to play in making them himself or it certainly should be.

No because that's not the same. Weve appointed a player to a coach to head coach. Natural progression. 

Moving from one executive management position to another is a similar natural progression .

• Like 1
  • Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, edinboro said:

This situation is very different to the Southgate decision. We are way further down in terms of expectation and size of club.

Woody hasn't just retired. He's been away, learned a few things.

We seem in control of finances whereas we were losing shedloads to stand still in the Premier League. We lost £13 million in our best ever season.

There is real excitement about the kids coming through in both age groups below the 1st team. 

It's a risk but a different type of risk to Jakonovic. 

I'm happy enough at the moment. I like the sort of player we are being linked with. It will be fascinating to see who comes in over the next 5 weeks. We don't have long so it's all going to happen pretty quick I would think.

The situation may be different to the Southgate era but the PR coming out of the club and Gazette is almost identical. 

46 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

No because that's not the same. Weve appointed a player to a coach to head coach. Natural progression. 

Moving from one executive management position to another is a similar natural progression .

No, it's really not a natural progression any more than moving a HR Director to Finance Director would be. 

Simple question, what skills/knowledge do you think he has to enable him to help decide what players we sign?

Just now, Changing Times said:

No, it's really not a natural progression any more than moving a HR Director to Finance Director would be. 

Simple question, what skills/knowledge do you think he has to enable him to help decide what players we sign?

People make that kinda move all the time though, Executive positions are often filled by people that have never done the job before. Hell CEOs will often move from company to company in completely different industries with 0 prior experience. That's kinda the executive way.

Just now, Brunners said:

People make that kinda move all the time though, Executive positions are often filled by people that have never done the job before. Hell CEOs will often move from company to company in completely different industries with 0 prior experience. That's kinda the executive way.

Different industries but generally the same role, which we aren't really talking about here.  A Finance Director for an advertising company fulfils the same role as a Finance Director in a construction company.  Same with sales, recruitment, media/pr etc etc.  With England he was a Communications guy and then Managing Director of Club England, which would have lead to him having some input on filling various roles/positions within the different England set ups.  He wouldn't have been part of selecting an England squad though so why would he be part of doing that here?  To me it's a straight forward question and I've asked it a few times now without answer.  Bevington helping to find and recruit staff at various levels in the club makes some sense to me.  It doesn't make sense to me to have him playing any role in player recruitment because that's not his background, I don't care what his title is.

Maybe his role in the committee isn’t to give an input on the players footballing ability but rather their personality. Vetting their off field behavior and previous actions to determine whether they are a risk. Also using his contacts to get the inside on the players agents. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Maybe his role in the committee isn’t to give an input on the players footballing ability but rather their personality. Vetting their off field behavior and previous actions to determine whether they are a risk. Also using his contacts to get the inside on the players agents. 

That's my thinking of his role too (Without knowing his actual job description).

It's a really interesting point. And it's one that is easily jumped on by those that aren't simply accepting the rhetoric that the club put out whenever there seems to be a crisis. 

Gibson clearly thinks that bevington has some value and skills to be on the committee. And many will say that is good enough for them. However, many have simply grown tired and cynical of this. It shows a lack of change. Gibson wants, Gibson gets. Of course that's fair, it's his club, but it doesn't scream "change" to me. In fact, it is much more status quo. Especially when it is clear that bevington skills have never included identifying suitable players, whether that be ability, attitude or personality. 

On the woodgate article, 1 genuine question. He is a boro fan, lifelong. As a fan, I wonder if he would have preferred a proven, yet expensive, manager or a rookie with a history that could certainly be considered chequered and a rumoured affiliation with some less than upstanding individuals. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I wonder if he did that before we appointed Woodgate? 

(It's a joke before anyone gets mad at me ) 

• Haha 2

We held talks with Gaizka Mendieta last week. Consulting for talent in Spain due knowledge and work in the country. No feedback yet either way. I was told it was not regarding a coaching role but wouldnt that be something.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I wonder if he did that before we appointed Woodgate? 

(It's a joke before anyone gets mad at me ) 

He only joined the committee after Woodgate was appointed. Woodgates posse held poor old Bevvy in a damp basement during the process. 

• Haha 1

Gibson to me is trying to create a team of Boro Supporters like himself to run the club, ones that have a vestige interest instead of mercenaries, a risky ploy when there are hundreds of Boro supporters on here who all think we can do a better job,  a club run with heart and not head is risky but at least it will be interesting 

Did not know where to ask fellow board members this question so will ask it here. Just wanted to know would people take a 6th place finish if it was offered now? 

I think a JW gets 6th place in his first season he has done well so i would be inclined to say yes myself.

What are other people's view?

3 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Did not know where to ask fellow board members this question so will ask it here. Just wanted to know would people take a 6th place finish if it was offered now? 

I think a JW gets 6th place in his first season he has done well so i would be inclined to say yes myself.

What are other people's view?

100% yes. I’m expecting a transition year where we finish midtable. Anything above that is a bonus. Top 6 would be class.

• Like 1