oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

Just now, TLF10 said:

If Jok was boss my minimum aim would be top 6 given his experience and our squad (if it remained unchanged).

Given woodie is boss i feel its only fair to factor in fact this will be his ever job so a top 6 would imo would be a good first season.

75pts gets u 6th place usually. Last season we got 73Ppts (W:20 ?13 L:13).  Change that one loss to a win this season and we will be good.

Literally no idea what that emoji is about. Sorry.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Will said:

It completely depend on this transfer window.

Last year we all rightly expected us to make the playoffs. If the squad is relatively unchanged then that has to be the expectation again.

Personally after selling bamford Gibson and traore and not replacing traore, I wasn’t expecting playoffs last season. No one has a right to expect the play offs in any given season.

This year I’ll be happy if we are top ten with some youngsters brought in a different playing philosophy on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Air Resistance said:

Personally after selling bamford Gibson and traore and not replacing traore, I wasn’t expecting playoffs last season. No one has a right to expect the play offs in any given season.

This year I’ll be happy if we are top ten with some youngsters brought in a different playing philosophy on the pitch.

I wasnt either. I said mid table this time last season (based on how poor our wide options were and the performance in the play offs last year( so we actually finished higher than I expected.

We have a squad full of top Championship tier players whether that's goalscoring CBs in Ayala/Flint or Randolph a superb GK or goalscoring mids in Saville or 1 in 2 strikers like Britt add players in positions we need around them no reason we can't have a very good season we need to make the most of that start as well hopefully by that December run in confidence will be sky high.

I don't think we paid the wages and fees of players in the squad to mill around mid table as their contracts run down, philosophy stuff is nice to talk about but the reality is we need to find an extra 15 or so points over last season not an insurmountable task by any means add in a few additions play Fletcher more get more out of Britt/Saville actually score from set pieces and boom Premier League here we are.

I wish it was that simple but alot of our problems lie with failing to put away weak teams we improve on that keep the ball better in games vs rivals we could easily be right up there.

• Like 2

I think anything in Top 10 would be good and I would even take slightly further down , as long as we make the changes Woody has promised. It would be great if he could have that first season to bed in his philosophy. A bit like the lad Farke did at Norwich really. 

After all if Boolis had stayed here he would have seen 8th as an improvement on last season!

3 hours ago, Will said:

Had we signed Jokanovic as manager, what would your expectation have been?

I would have expected top 6. Not only is he proven at this level, he also would've been on massive wages at the start of a period where we have limited funds. That would suggest the club was after a quick, immediate fix, and my expectations would be aligned with that. But Woodgate is looking at his first role as head coach, he will not be eating away at the club's finances, and the club have stressed the need for patience. All that suggests we are entering a transition period, so to expect playoffs in a transition season seems unrealistic. With that in mind, my expectations are not as high as they would be had we appointed Jokanovic.

I know the obvious counter to that is that I am a victim to the club's PR. People on here seem to be desperate to let it be known that they recognise the club has PR - so insightful...  Yes, of course the club uses PR (which business doesn't?), and yes I've based my argument on largely trusting what the club have said. But to not trust the club would require a level of cynicism that I honestly can't be bothered to level at our football club anymore. I want to feel connected to the club again. To do that, I need to trust that they have been genuine when outlining this new model. If they are genuine, this new regime needs patience from the fans. Therefore, I do not expect a playoff finish, and would be content with a mid-table finish if there are clear signs of progression toward the new model.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What would those clear signs of progress be for you if you have some in mind?

Looking like we actually have a clue what we're doing in the final third would be a good first step for me.

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What would those clear signs of progress be for you if you have some in mind?

Progress on the various objectives marked by the club as the pillars of this new model. Increased integration of the academy with the first team. Signing of decent, relatively cheap, high potential players. Developing this more attractive style of play that Woodgate outlined in the press conference. 

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
19 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Progress on the various objectives marked by the club as the pillars of this new model. Increased integration of the academy with the first team. Signing of decent, relatively cheap, high potential players. Developing this more attractive style of play that Woodgate outlined in the press conference. 

Would you believe me if I told you that last year was actually one of the best in the last 20 years in terms of Academy players being given a chance in the first team?

1 minute ago, Will said:

Would you believe me if I told you that last year was actually one of the best in the last 20 years in terms of Academy players being given a chance in the first team?

Yes because Pulis did a good job playing Fry and introducing Wing slowly into the first team (don't know if he's considered academy). He didn't play Tav as much as people will have hoped. But I think where this stat will be skewed is that we basically played the youth teams in cup games.

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes, because Pulis handed out a load of debuts. In early rounds of the cup. How many made a significant impact in the league? Fry and Tav. That’s it, and even then Tav’s chances were limited. The press conference made it clear that they want more academy players making a consistent impact in the first team, not cameos in the early stages of the cup.