oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

I think Gibson will want to asses every option he knows how important this next appointment is. If he wanted to just cut costs and appoint Woody it would of been done.

Not necessarily. Before southgate took over we took a couple of weeks to interview other managers (felix McGath is the one who comes to mind) and then ended up appointing southgate for some made up reason - think they said he wanted to bring his own staff, like you know every manager would

If we end up appointing woodgate I will have no doubt that this was the plan all along and that the other "candidates" were just an exercise in pr

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

I wonder if these names are being released as to say look at what we tried to get.... perhaps just the cynic in me but for it to be dead quiet and then 2 names within a hr all feels a bit iffy

I was thinking that. It's the same as the Southgate appointment.

With the Southgate appointment we actually did want the other names involved though.  When we couldn't get them we settled for Southgate.  We 'knew' we'd be looking at several different people this time and we are.  I don't think anything has changed in this regard, we're just starting to find out some of the actual names as opposed to the candidates that people would like to see or have guessed might be in the frame.

I wonder if these names are being released as to say look at what we tried to get.... perhaps just the cynic in me but for it to be dead quiet and then 2 names within a hr all feels a bit iffy

With the Southgate appointment we actually did want the other names involved though.  When we couldn't get them we settled for Southgate.  We 'knew' we'd be looking at several different people this time and we are.  I don't think anything has changed in this regard, we're just starting to find out some of the actual names as opposed to the candidates that people would like to see or have guessed might be in the frame.

How do you know this? The reason we didnt appoint mcgath was given as him wanting his own coaching staff.. how can we say we seriously looked elsewhere when we werent willing to negotiate on this? Surely we knew this would be a deal breaker for all but the most inexperienced managers.

How do you know this? The reason we didnt appoint mcgath was given as him wanting his own coaching staff.. how can we say we seriously looked elsewhere when we werent willing to negotiate on this? Surely we knew this would be a deal breaker for all but the most inexperienced managers.

Because Felix Magath wasn't the person we really wanted.  We wanted two people and couldn't get either as I understood it at the time and still understand it now.

And you dont think theres a fairly decent chance that it was a way to appease the fans because they knew the southgate appointment would be unpopular? Especially given the weak excuses we were given for not getting the others.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is that we've had lots of speculation about possible names we are interested in, most of it based on nothing at all. Now we're starting to get the names we actually are interested in and it's being suggested that it's a smokescreen? I think that's nonsense personally.

And you dont think theres a fairly decent chance that it was a way to appease the fans because they knew the southgate appointment would be unpopular? Especially given the weak excuses we were given for not getting the others.

No because I know/knew certain things at the time that indicated our interest in the other names was serious.

Thought the 'Middlesbrough on the Rhine' was just a throw away remark to highlight what one of the candidates suggested he'd do. Turned out to be a bullet dodged in my opinion.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is that we've had lots of speculation about possible names we are interested in, most of it based on nothing at all. Now we're starting to get the names we actually are interested in and it's being suggested that it's a smokescreen? I think that's nonsense personally.

No ones saying that is the case. I'm saying that should woodgate get appointed ill be listening carefully for the reasons that the others have been unsuccessful because I dont put it beyond Gibson to do this to appease the fans.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is that we've had lots of speculation about possible names we are interested in, most of it based on nothing at all.  Now we're starting to get the names we actually are interested in and it's being suggested that it's a smokescreen?  I think that's nonsense personally.

No ones saying that is the case. I'm saying that should woodgate get appointed ill be listening carefully for the reasons that the others have been unsuccessful because I dont put it beyond Gibson to do this to appease the fans.

Actually at least two people have said it and you are also suggesting it as a possibility.

And it certainly could be a possibility. At this stage, I don't think it is but I dont see how you can so definitively rule it out

Because I don't believe that the names we are starting to hear are any kind of smokescreen.  We're starting to get the names of people we are interested in because the process has begun to figure out who the next man will be.  So some of the actual names will start to come out as opposed to the chit chat on here based on nothing at all.

And that's fine, you're probably right.

But its 100% fair that, if at the end of all this we end up with woodgate, we question our intent and how hard we actually tried to get the other options.

And that's fine, you're probably right.

But its 100% fair that, if at the end of all this we end up with woodgate, we question our intent and how hard we actually tried to get the other options.

We're not at the end of all of this though and we don't know who the next guy is yet!