oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

I had a thought and yes it did hurt, if Pulis was on £2.5m per year, this equates to roughly £50k per week so where did these figures of £80k+ come from?

even if we're offering the new manager £20k per week that's £1m per year for managing a championship side is still gotta be one of the highest wages in the championship.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

I just can't see how Woodgate is the right appointment at this moment, especially after the horrendous decisions the club have made since promotion with Karanka. Feel like we need someone to show the fans there is still some ambition, to give the club a lift, with championship experience who can get the team playing, under a budget and has a knowledge of what it takes to mount a promotion challenge. Not a novice with a couple of years coaching experience. It would be a very dangerous appointment if it doesn't work and could send us the opposite way.

Robson and McLaren were good appointments and what was called for at the time. Woodgate is the wrong appointment at the wrong time.

In 1994 we were moving into a new stadium, the club needed a lift after the dull and average 93/94 season under Lennie Lawrence. Robson was one of the biggest names in English football. It was a huge coup at the time.

The McLaren appointment - Venables had come in and kept us up with proper coaching and tactical awarness, it was felt we needed a proper 'coach' after perceived tactical naivity of Robbo and Viv Anderson. McLaren was generally regarded as the best coach out there, Ferguson had head hunted him from Derby.  It was an exciting appointment.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes because Liverpool are going to lend us players because an ex scout is now managing us... 

Missing the point. I meant he got a job there. So someone either rated his ability or have him a job as a favour or both. Either way I don’t think I could get a job there nor most current or past Boro players.

SJ is not who we are talking about. Everyone agrees He is our 1st choice. It's the others I am referring too.

But I rest my defense on JW, I reckon we can never change what can't be changed. Maybe we can get the manager we deserve or maybe we will be having these same discussions next year once we fall out of love of either Grayson, Hughton, or whoever shacks up here. I mean as Boro fans when the *** has anything ever been simple.

P.S - Would love to have MA from City but he's out of our league besides he might want to succeed PG at the City of Manchester Stadium rather then work in the championship.

Edited by RonBoro

Frankly I am just depressed reading this thread now. After the divisive appointment of Tony Pulis my only hope was that the list of candidates would bring the fan base together and we could all move on.  Sadly somewhere near the top of that list we have Woodgate,, who even just with his name in the ring, is already splitting opinion, and for that reason alone I hope he does not get the job. One other divisive figure touted around was Terry, but I have reason to believe that he is not in the frame, never was, and he is looking forward to another season under Dean Smith before moving into sole management.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, D.Z. said:

Bryan Robson worked for years under arguably the greatest manager in modern football, Sir Alex Ferguson.

Aitor Karanka worked for many years under Jose Mourinho.

Jonathan Woodgate has worked under.....Tony Pulis.

You simply can't compare them in my eyes.

All those managers at the end of their tenures had fans openly calling for their heads. None of that solid reputation did anything to help them out at that juncture.

JW was at Boro when Pulis was appointed by SG, he had no say, but I reckon it's still his fault he should have been giving pressers berating the manager that way we know for sure he was not tainted by Pulisball.

35 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

I had a thought and yes it did hurt, if Pulis was on £2.5m per year, this equates to roughly £50k per week so where did these figures of £80k+ come from?

even if we're offering the new manager £20k per week that's £1m per year for managing a championship side is still gotta be one of the highest wages in the championship.

It was £3.5m a year 

18 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Missing the point. I meant he got a job there. So someone either rated his ability or have him a job as a favour or both. Either way I don’t think I could get a job there nor most current or past Boro players.

A club like Liverpool are likely to have 20+ scouts contracted to the club. 

23 minutes ago, RonBoro said:

All those managers at the end of their tenures had fans openly calling for their heads. None of that solid reputation did anything to help them out at that juncture.

JW was at Boro when Pulis was appointed by SG, he had no say, but I reckon it's still his fault he should have been giving pressers berating the manager that way we know for sure he was not tainted by Pulisball.

I've read this four times now and I still have no idea what you're trying to say.

4 minutes ago, D.Z. said:

And Jokanovic wanted the same. We offered him 40k and he turned us down as I understand it.

If that's the case it would of been ruled out or leaked by the media outlets. During the latest gazette podcast they even say Jokanovic is still in the running. 

10 minutes ago, D.Z. said:

And Jokanovic wanted the same. We offered him 40k and he turned us down as I understand it.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-jokanovics-west-brom-job-demands-revealed

Jokanovic’s demands were £2m a year for the WBA job. I can’t imagine him nearly doubling his demands despite being out of work for 3 months since then. 

• Like 1