oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I genuinely don't get why people are putting Jokanovic on such a pedestal. Yes, he has gotten teams promoted in the past, but so has Neil Warnock. Guess what, they're both just as bad at keeping teams in the Prem, but people would be FURIOUS if we went after Warnock.

If Jokanovic wants silly money, an entire set of backroom staff, and to splash the cash on yet ANOTHER squad overhaul... meh. That's not what we need. We need patience and a chance to build from within, which Woodgate offers us.

Boro fans have expectation levels that seriously need to be managed. We gave Karanka 2 years to get us up, and he managed it. I'm sure he didn't win any of his first 4-5 games? If Woody DOES get appointed, and we DO start on a rocky run, can we just get behind the lad and give him the time?

Hell, he might literally come in and be class. We might "smash the league". I'm frankly just excited that it's something that isn't Tony Pulis. Chin up boys.

1. I think it's more to do with the fact that he has played very good football as well as gotten those teams promoted. Warnock has gotten teams promoted, but has also done terribly with other teams in the same division.

2. Karanka won his second game.

3, You are right. Of course he might be. Just as Jokanovic could come in and be terrible. But you can't really blame fans for wanting a ready-made manager rather than a untried rookie. If we sold Randolph next week, would you want us to go into the new season with Aynsley Pears as our first choice keeper, however highly rated he is, or get in someone with experience?

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I genuinely don't get why people are putting Jokanovic on such a pedestal. Yes, he has gotten teams promoted in the past, but so has Neil Warnock. Guess what, they're both just as bad at keeping teams in the Prem, but people would be FURIOUS if we went after Warnock.

If Jokanovic wants silly money, an entire set of backroom staff, and to splash the cash on yet ANOTHER squad overhaul... meh. That's not what we need. We need patience and a chance to build from within, which Woodgate offers us.

Boro fans have expectation levels that seriously need to be managed. We gave Karanka 2 years to get us up, and he managed it. I'm sure he didn't win any of his first 4-5 games? If Woody DOES get appointed, and we DO start on a rocky run, can we just get behind the lad and give him the time?

Hell, he might literally come in and be class. We might "smash the league". I'm frankly just excited that it's something that isn't Tony Pulis. Chin up boys.

He's been promoted twice playing good football that's the attraction.

Warnock has a good record in our division but his style of football is more like Pulis's. There's a huge difference. 

36 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

It’s funny how rafsmog expects woodgate to be U23s manager and lurker is expecting him to be first team manager. Both have gave reliable info and both have totally opposite info now. Still gives me the ‘smoke and mirrors’ feeling.

I don't think he will be u23. I have always thought he will be manager just jovanovic was always going to be too much. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

1. I think it's more to do with the fact that he has played very good football as well as gotten those teams promoted. Warnock has gotten teams promoted, but has also done terribly with other teams in the same division.

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

He's been promoted twice playing good football that's the attraction.

Warnock has a good record in our division but his style of football is more like Pulis's. There's a huge difference. 

I get what you're both saying but you have to look at it long term as well. Jokanovic hasn't managed a full season in the Prem or kept a team up, he has managed 6 teams in 6 years, and he spent 100m at Fulham last year.

I'm not disputing that he'd probably get us up. I'm not disputing that I'd enjoy watching his football. But do I think Jokanovic will suddenly fall in love with Boro, and be here for the next 3-4 years? Not a chance.

As a football club, we have suffered from short-sighted leadership without a clearly defined philosophy or plan. For me, Woodgate represents a long-term plan with a clear philosophy (utilise the academy, as Gibson has said).

5 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I get what you're both saying but you have to look at it long term as well. Jokanovic hasn't managed a full season in the Prem or kept a team up, he has managed 6 teams in 6 years, and he spent 100m at Fulham last year.

I'm not disputing that he'd probably get us up. I'm not disputing that I'd enjoy watching his football. But do I think Jokanovic will suddenly fall in love with Boro, and be here for the next 3-4 years? Not a chance.

As a football club, we have suffered from short-sighted leadership without a clearly defined philosophy or plan. For me, Woodgate represents a long-term plan with a clear philosophy (utilise the academy, as Gibson has said).

We don't have a clue whether Woodgate would be a good manager but yet he represents the long term future of the club? Its just as likely that Gibson will have sacked him by Xmas if he makes a bad start. 

If Jokanovic wants silly money then I don't want him either, it makes no sense to keep gambling financially. 

I hope there might be a bit more creative thinking than just having Woodgate and Jokanovic on a short list but this is Gibson we're talking about. 

• Like 1

We don't have a clue whether Woodgate would be a good manager but yet he represents the long term future of the club? Its just as likely that Gibson will have sacked him by Xmas if he makes a bad start. 

I said he represents a PLAN, not necessarily the long-term future. Sure, he might not work out, but it's more likely that he'd be long-term than Jokanovic, for me.

I hope there might be a bit more creative thinking than just having Woodgate and Jokanovic on a short list but this is Gibson we're talking about. 

Yeah, I don't disagree with you there. I don't think Steve Gibson should be in charge of the footballing decisions made at the club, but unfortunately I'm not going to get what I want with that one, so I've got no choice but to be upbeat about whatever he serves up. Spent all of the last 2 seasons being MISERABLE with watching the dross we've served up and I'm determined to be at least a little bit excited this year.

a hell of a lot of mentions that it maybe the fact that Jokanovic is demanding too much  for our current wishes to rein the spending in  ,and that will swing Gibsons decision Woodgates way.  solid reasoning if that is the deciding factor.  but apart from  the  perfectly  good arguement that  theres plenty of other good options that will  not break the bank      im  sure  Bevington and Kenyon  dont  give out thier services for peanuts  so  if it does boil down to  keeping costs down  theres  a  touch of  hypocracy in  the reasoning. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Why was the under 23 manager sacked then? I presumed it was to make space for woodgate. I thought Paul Stephenson was doing well?

He was to blame for the poor signings we've made, overpaying players and the poor football we played.  Now he has paid the price for his failure.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Sorry a tad late to the party..  what's happened today that pushes woody into the definite spot?

Nothing. People are just losing their minds as per usual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2