oneBoro Forum

The Head Coach Thread.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

They are unverified stories posted by people most of us have no idea about, nothing more than pretty anonymous sources. I might be wrong to suggest this but I'm relatively sure that all concerned this summer have posted based on their 'sources' as opposed to being someone in the room in any of these negotiations.

So people we don't know are posting information given to them from people we also don't know, who may also be passing that on from more people we don't know, etc. etc. If SDS, Lurker, D.Z. or anyone comes on here saying "This is happening", I don't immediately judge that language to suggest that it is a fact. Anyone along that train of people could be making something up, misconstruing information, anything. It may be a fact in their eyes, I've no reason or evidence to suggest it is to me. They're rumours to me, I've no reason to believe why most of us would think any different.

They, as in the people who post them, don't count them as rumours though do they?  And if other people question them then there is a minor kerfluffle about it, which wouldn't be the case if we were all to simply take them as rumours.  You might take them as rumours but they don't post them as rumours.  What I've never really understood is why people can go back and forth all the time on here on a variety of topics but then when some info gets posted we all have to tip toe carefully around it for fear of upsetting those that posted it?  I'd like to think I post the same way to everyone, good or bad (let's just be honest and say great) and the ITK people are no different in my book.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seriously mate, it's done.  I think everyone gets your opinions on this...but The club/Gibson have made the decision they are entitled to make, time to move on. you can be angry at the club

FWIW -The Chinese discussions with Gibson were centered more towards Bulkhaul and Rockcliffe. Despite what was said in the media the talks were primary regarding club sponsorship and hotel owners

I don't know whether you've noticed this or not but you have a tendency to recommend Danish people for various things. 

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Yeah the only candidate I would have ahead of Woodgate from the names available is the other one we've already interviewed, Jokanovic. No point getting any of those names as we would only be looking for a new manager next summer again. 

EG saying Hughton has not been approached. I get he not the most exciting of names but given he got Brighton up on not a huge out lay and has a decent eye of talent i am surprised we not even spoken to him of EG is correct.

He has delivered on a remit which we are wanting our next manager to deliver on

3 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

EG saying Hughton has not been approached. I get he not the most exciting of names but given he got Brighton up on not a huge out lay and has a decent eye of talent i am surprised we not even spoken to him of EG is correct.

Think I read some articles that he isn't interested in a Championship job. He may well have turned down an approach even before it got close to an interview. That said he isn't particularly attack minded, but I'd think Gibson would have talked to him had he called Gibson and said he might be interested.

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Does Gibson want the best available manager or a fall guy for a couple of years? 

I think he wants a manager who doesn't want silly wages and/or who expects a massive transfer budget. Woodgate has been here long enough, he knows what will be expected of him with the limited resources we've got.

5 minutes ago, D.Z. said:

I think he wants a manager who doesn't want silly wages and/or who expects a massive transfer budget. Woodgate has been here long enough, he knows what will be expected of him with the limited resources we've got.

And no ambition? I wanna know if Gibson has written of anything to do with Promotion the next few years

Just now, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

And no ambition? I wanna know if Gibson has written of anything to do with Promotion the next few years

But the ambition has to go hand in hand with the finances, don't they? It's easy to sit here on the sideline shouting a lack of ambition and berating the man when it's not your money, you don't have to make the decision and you haven't really got an idea how it looks behind the scene. I doubt that he has written off promotion but it has to be done in a sustainable manner. There is only so much we can spend. Btw I think most Norwich City fans would have taken Jokanovic over Farke 2 years ago citing it as a lack of ambition to only hire a cheap foreign reserve team coach.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

But the ambition has to go hand in hand with the finances, don't they? It's easy to sit here on the sideline shouting a lack of ambition and berating the man when it's not your money, you don't have to make the decision and you haven't really got an idea how it looks behind the scene. I doubt that he has written off promotion but it has to be done in a sustainable manner. There is only so much we can spend. Btw I think most Norwich City fans would have taken Jokanovic over Farke 2 years ago citing it as a lack of ambition to only hire a cheap foreign reserve team coach.

Agree with most things here but surely a difference between a highly rated youth manager of Borussia Dortmund and someone who's only coaching experience is vs Hartlepool in preseason? 

32 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Forgot about him would definitely have him here! But he doesn't want a Championship job.

3 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Agree with most things here but surely a difference between a highly rated youth manager of Borussia Dortmund and someone who's only coaching experience is vs Hartlepool in preseason? 

Tbh. I don't know how highly rated Farke was. His experience was from the 4-6 tier of German football and reserve team coach at Dortmund. That's hardly mindblowing. Dortmund have just hired some Danish dude who's only been coach and assistant manager for a short while as their next reserve team manager. It's not like the level is very high and most of the players are youngsters, so the level of management is debatable. I think it's more important that you can work with young talented players than it is actually managing. It's essentially u23 management. Would you rather have promoted Paul Stephenson?

12 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Agree with all this but then that leads to the question of how much criticism Gibson should get got the financial situation we have got ourselves into in the first place. Like I said before in recent years other championship sides who have been in the premiership a lot less recently than us and gained a lot less funds in transfer sales seem to be in a much better position than us financially. How has that come about?

I'm not sure why everyone is so against championship football. On the whole it's a good league to be in.

Our last two seasons in the premier League (two separate occasions) were miserable experiences followed by relegation.

If we continue to challenge for playoffs, then surely that's better than winning a handful of games a season.

I'm not that keen on Woodgate, because he has no experience. But what experience did Pep Guardiola have before being given the Barcelona job... One year of Barcelona B team. You never know which ex-players are going to make good managers?! 

Why shouldn't Boro give Woodgate a try, if he talks a good game, let's find out if he can deliver on those philosophies 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Sarumite said:

I'm not sure why everyone is so against championship football. On the whole it's a good league to be in.

Our last two seasons in the premier League (two separate occasions) were miserable experiences followed by relegation.

If we continue to challenge for playoffs, then surely that's better than winning a handful of games a season.

I'm not that keen on Woodgate, because he has no experience. But what experience did Pep Guardiola have before being given the Barcelona job... One year of Barcelona B team. You never know which ex-players are going to make good managers?! 

Why shouldn't Boro give Woodgate a try, if he talks a good game, let's find out if he can deliver on those philosophies 

I don't wanna be in the Championship I want us to be up against the best teams in the country and trying to compete at the highest level. 

5 minutes ago, Sarumite said:

Surely as fans we want to be competing in the top divisions, rather than just treading in the championship "because it's a good league"? 

I want to see us playing the best teams, and reap the financial benefits it brings and maybe every now and then go on a great cup run, rather than just plodding away. 

I don't see at all how challenging for the play offs is better than being in the top division, especially financially. 

Also, bit of a difference coming from coaching in the set ups of one of the biggest clubs in football history, and coaching under one of the most miserable teams to ever grace the second division of English football surely? 

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

Tbh. I don't know how highly rated Farke was. His experience was from the 4-6 tier of German football and reserve team coach at Dortmund. That's hardly mindblowing. Dortmund have just hired some Danish dude who's only been coach and assistant manager for a short while as their next reserve team manager. It's not like the level is very high and most of the players are youngsters, so the level of management is debatable. I think it's more important that you can work with young talented players than it is actually managing. It's essentially u23 management. Would you rather have promoted Paul Stephenson?

I think people are using the past to predict the future. We've been in a similar position twice before under Southgate and then under Mowbray. 

Both times the club were cutting costs and that led to us going backwards. I'd say this feels more like the Southgate appointment than the Mowbray one because it's another rookie promoted from within who has no managerial experience. 

Unless we suddenly break the habit of the last few years and start recruiting really well then it's almost inevitable that we're gonna go backwards as a club.

It looks like we're gonna have to sell some of our best players so we're basically gambling on an untried rookie being a managerial genius.